REMINGTON 700 AACSD 16.5" hunting rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REMINGTON 700 AACSD 16.5" hunting rifle.

Hey guys,

Now im sure this question has been asked hundreds of times but yet again (and feel free to link me to the threads) I am after the practicality of using the 700 AACSD as a hunting rifle. Not in 300BO but either .308 or .223. .308 is my preferred caliber due to its versatility but apparently .223 may be a smarter option as some property owners do not like large caliber rifles being used. With this being said i do plan on building a longer range hunting rifle in the future out of something like 7mm rem mag but this is not the current issue. I am a bigger bloke so weight is not that much of an issue to step up to a 20" but i like the compact AACSD it is something a little different and the reduced weight is only a plus. I will be planning on chucking it into something like a Mcmillian or a AICS stock and probably getting and aftermarket trigger.

So my question remains about the practicality of this rifle. In either .308 or .223 does the shortened barrel length seem to have any major disadvantages over the 20"? what kind of accuracy/range would i be expecting from this rifle? is that acceptable for hunting applications? and given the weight and compact size of the setup would this be a good option or are there better options out there?

Baxis92

Originally posted by Baxis92" post=22281
    Hey guys,

Now im sure this question has been asked hundreds of times but yet again (and feel free to link me to the threads) I am after the practicality of using the 700 AACSD as a hunting rifle. Not in 300BO but either .308 or .223. .308 is my preferred caliber due to its versatility but apparently .223 may be a smarter option as some property owners do not like large caliber rifles being used. With this being said i do plan on building a longer range hunting rifle in the future out of something like 7mm rem mag but this is not the current issue. I am a bigger bloke so weight is not that much of an issue to step up to a 20" but i like the compact AACSD it is something a little different and the reduced weight is only a plus. I will be planning on chucking it into something like a Mcmillian or a AICS stock and probably getting and aftermarket trigger.

So my question remains about the practicality of this rifle. In either .308 or .223 does the shortened barrel length seem to have any major disadvantages over the 20"? what kind of accuracy/range would i be expecting from this rifle? is that acceptable for hunting applications? and given the weight and compact size of the setup would this be a good option or are there better options out there?

Baxis92
    Take a look at S12A ' s thread about his, which I think is up for sale at a cracker of a price.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

I havent owned a AACSD but I have owned and used a few short barrelled rifles.

They are make good hunting rifles I've owned 308 and 300wm with 16" barrels they are loud as all getout have a shitton of muzzle flash but other than that there isn't a whole lot of difference, you do lose a few FPS but at normal hunting ranges it's no big deal.

I like barrels on the shorter side but seem to stick around 22-20 for rifles and 20-18 for shotguns that being said I do have two trappers in my safe right now.

I say buy it if you don't like it you can always sell it and try something else.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I will chuck a surefire on it and muzzle blast shouldent be too much of a probelm. From what got off S12A's article they can shoot accurately out to 800 possibly further which seems like it would fill my needs and then some. The main issue im looking at here is does it have any real advantages over a standard light barreled hunting rifle. It would seem that it does in both accuracy and maneuverability?

The Rem 7615 has a 16.5" barrel and mine used to shoot pretty well. Ruger gunsite is not much longer in 308.
      Just bear in mind its gunna recoil and muzzle blast like a tank

Comment

You'll be wanting good ear muffs and plugs to use that thing - going to be bloody loud no doubt!
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Working...
        X