New HOWA KRG 26inch barrel 6.5 cm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great to shoot a tight group at longer ranges, how do your 2 sighter shots work as they are not on the iPad screen?
    Looks like the same as we used, but we could keep or chuck the sighters.
    Photo is a 500 score where I didn't know how to make the iPad keep the sighters as a newbie, only dropped 2 shots into the 5 ring but got no score.

That range is further than my fav deer hunting forest other forests are closer.
    I would be shooting a few milk jugs after driving there to shoot 2 F-class strings LOL
    15 minutes and 1,000yd is a bit diff, just hope it's not like the Colo Heights bench rest range over 1 hour north of me.
    They were completed with all council and other approvals before Xmas but still waiting for FAR inspection.
    Can now even sell ammo and do gun hire and stuff but the FAR bloke must be still on holiday Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.PNG
Views:	98
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	320015 so who knows when they will be able to shoot there.

Comment

• we were doing the "precision rifle" thing, no sighters you gotta know what you are doing, thankfully i have my Hornady 4DOF spot on now.
      "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

Comment

• Precision rifle Thing again today....went crap.....on a positive i got the 800y fig 14 in 2 shots

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210307-130854_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	320202
        "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

Comment

• 'Figure11's (Bazza's) ol' mate 'Figure 14' is well down in one... With probably better shot placement.

Why did things go to shit over an easier course and do you know why things look better at the 800 giving 'Figure 14' a 'head-job'?
          "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• we did 5 and 700 prone, it started with it shooting almost a mil left and just would not group for the rest of the serials. That said everyone seemed to be having similar issues for the most part. As for the 800 yeah buggers me it shot nice and true like it usually does.....I had my 4DOF a little off on the dial hence the low first shot.

Comment

• That is pretty much how it went Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210307-101952_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	320221

Comment

• decided to do some checking as i feel it is not shooting as well as it should, as I am now using the RCBS powder dispenser I stripped one of my other bullets loaded as I used to and cross checked the powder weight, it is exactly the same so all good, then I checked OAL and I found for whatever reason the latest loads instead of being 2.85 were around 2.86. So i fixed all that and the case lengths seems be working ok now.
                also fixed something that had been annoying me, the cheek rest had to be removed to remove the bolt so got the trimmer out and no more removing 🙂

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210318_114221.jpg Views:	2 Size:	35.0 KB ID:	320451
                Last edited by Savage 7mm; 18-03-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Some blokes chase the lands as the barrel burns, making them longer.
                  I tried with my .223 and like my smith said, "good luck with that" especially with boat tails.
                  The Chargemaster light is as accurate as anything but my Howa Creedmoor barrel lost that bench rest single hole accuracy at not much over 2,000 rounds, estimated on pills used.
                  Hotter you load em, the quicker it burns out.

The .223 went more like 6,000 and the same thing, not burned out but won't put 5 in a single ragged hole anymore.
                  The .4" groups it used to shoot are now about .8" at best or a tight clover plus 2 flyers making it about an inch at 100yds.
                  The .223 can outshoot the creed at 100 now on average, but what surprised me was when I used some hunting ammo that is loaded shorter, projies not weight sorted, and .1 overthrows not corrected and they seemed to outshoot the precision loaded target single feed ammo, go figure.
                  One of the champion bench resters that gets on the hunting forums said my round count is about right for the cals.
                  They re-barrel at around 1,500 rounds fired.

An old regular range shooting mate said the barrels will shoot the same for a long time after they drop like mine, they are just not in perfect condition anymore. Can do a dummy round test or however you measure the distance to the lands to see if it has grown much.

Could weigh some pills on the chargemaster as I found the odd batch of early ELDm to be a bit inconsistent but they seem fine now.
                  I just check 8 or so at random when I open a new box.
                  Last edited by magoo; 18-03-2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• yeah see how it goes next time out I spose, it would be lucky to have 1000 thru it I reckon.

Comment

• I checked the spare new hornady cases just out of interest and they are 1.914 long

Comment

• Originally posted by magoo View Post

but what surprised me was when I used some hunting ammo that is loaded shorter, projies not weight sorted, and .1 overthrows not corrected and they seemed to outshoot the precision loaded target single feed ammo, go figure.

G'day Magoo,
                        it is not uncommon to regain a little accuracy in less that perfect barrel throats via increasing the neck tension, and increasing the jump to the lands.
                        yes it sounds unorthodox but it works (but not 'all' the time).
                        the extra neck tension can sometimes help regain that extra little bit of pressure spike in the initial ignition whilst the extra jump can help embed the projectile into the worn or burnt lands.
                        i don't have any science to validate this but it's what several others i know including myself have found.

Comment

• G'day Send-it, interesting as I had not heard that before.
                          It definitely shot surprisingly good groups with the shorter hunting ammo but got no better testing longer rounds, chasing the lands.
                          That was the first thing I tried when accuracy dropped.

I just use std-type dies so can't really change neck tension.

I shoot them at the 200yd targets as it can look more impressive than the 100yd when you can't hole out anymore.

Comment

• everyone seems to be getting good results with the hornady match 6.5 ammo at the range

Comment

• Originally posted by Savage 7mm View Post
                              everyone seems to be getting good results with the hornady match 6.5 ammo at the range
                              Factory ammo... Surely not?
                              "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

• yeah out of the box, quite a few guys have used it and shot well

Comment

Working...
                                X