308 rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 308 rifle

okay I am not looking for an answer that is highly emotional from someone who owns 4 tikka and therefore hates everything else.

I want to know logically what is the big difference between tikka and howa 308 varmint rifles. If you just so happen to own 4 tikka and have a real good logical reason for not owning a howa like accuracy then chime in and let me know. I am going to think about buying one of these two for some time likely and I would like to get some opinion from people who actually own them.

So. the basic question Tikka Vs. Howa what are the physical differences in there 308 varmint rifles. Are the prices really different, are they very similar, are there accuracy differences, are the differences just ergonomic. Thoughts, ideas, hard facts, insert them here please (okay and a good winge if you have one)
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Howdy

Howa = Japan, Tikka = Finland,
    Howa= steel components, Tikka = plastic components,
    Howa don't give sub MOA, Tikka Does, both shoot great. Its really a personal preference in brand & how they fit your shooting style.
    Find both to shoot at your local range if thats possible.

PS Tikka is a poor mans Sako lol
    Got it, Load it, shoot it..

Comment

Tikka is DBM , howa is floor plate.
      only dbm option for howa is CDI which are hit and miss unless you want to go with the legacy sports option which isnt great either.

trigger on tikka is generally very nice, howa needs work from the box, hogue stock on howa is garbage , tikka stocks are ok.

Comment

• S12A
        S12A commented
        Editing a comment
        edited to add, i have owned both , now own neither and i dont form emotional attachments to rifles.

would like a tikka again but wont rush out for a Howa. they are still an ok option though. just be aware if you dump heaps of money into it to make it something great, you better keep it because it wont be worth what you have put into it.

• Laflamme
        Laflamme commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by S12A" post=21817
        Tikka is DBM , howa is floor plate.
        only dbm option for howa is CDI which are hit and miss unless you want to go with the legacy sports option which isnt great either.

trigger on tikka is generally very nice, howa needs work from the box, hogue stock on howa is garbage , tikka stocks are ok.
        forgive my complete ignorance but I missed at least half of that. Its not your fault I just don't know what DBM is and how it compares to a floor plate. The other fella said one was an internal mag I'm guessing thats the floor plate howa. so what is DBM? and I missed the CDI bit but I'm guessing that is a specific configuration of Howa. Is that right?

plenty of experience with both, but currently own a howa (amongst many other things)

obvious comparison =
      both are push feed type bolt actions which are strong, smooth and reliable from the start.
      howa has a hinged floor plate type magazine well, which is loaded from the top
      tikka has a drop out magazine which is loaded then inserted.
      both types have their pros and cons, but its only a matter of personal taste.
      both are known for having good triggers. if not,...they're easily adjusted to be good. takes about 5min, including a beer.

the barrels in howa's and tikkas are of good quality, with no known common vises. very hard to determine who has best barrels.
      that will vary from gun to gun more so than manufacturer.
      however, both brands are capable of producing very accurate outfits. i would say as good as each other.
      both will shoot 1MOA easily (10c coins @100yards).

there are more and more aftermarket stocks nowadays for both brands, so should you not be happy with the stock it comes with, you can change that.
      although you can order your howa with more stock options from new compared to the tikkas.

these two brands really do go head to head with each other as they are both extremely good value for money.
      it will probably come down to you shouldering a few, and which one takes your fancy.
      would i sell my howa for a tikka?........Nup,.......they're too close to each other to be worth it.
      but would i buy a tikka to be mates with the howa?,.........sure,.......why not.

Comment

I have owned 2 Howas, and my Mrs has 2 Tikkas
        The tikkas are nice, smooth and pretty to look at. They also have a crap magazine, small eject port and all calibres are built on a long action.
        Howa are like a truck. They shoot brilliant, tough as nails and have a certain "rugged" good looks. With a detachable mag upgrade you can have 5 or 10 shots and the mags are cheap. Tikka mags are not.
        For the money I would go the Howa over and over, you can buy the barrelled action and get whichever stock you like, standard factory or laminate from Boyds. I have a Hogue sporter 223 and it shoots 10rds into a 10c at 50m all day long

Comment

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Surely there is enough threads on tikka and Howas to get a opinion on both. The good and the bad.

They both shoot good ..... Pending on how well the driver can drive it .

I own both and they do what I want them too.

IMHO I don't think the forum needs a new Tikka or Howa thread a day. There gotta be 50 threads of each by now. Since the forum opened its doors. Differant day but the same tune playing.

That's all I gotta say on the matter.

Good point skip :lol:
        but the tikkas are very accurate out of the box just quietly :lol:

ps Howa is a copy of an old sako which makes it a very poor mans sako :lol:

Comment

• Laflamme
          Laflamme commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=21861
          ps Howa is a copy of an old sako which makes it a very poor mans sako :lol:
          Great I can have a sako clone I always wanted one of those...wait....whats a sako :lol: :P im silly

Here we go again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pissing.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	36482

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
          SmoothOperator_87 commented
          Editing a comment
          70degree bolt lift tikka

90degree bolt lift howa

Tikka has lots of options now to accesorise an you don't need to have any plastic components should you not want them, not that they really affect anything.

You could always get a sako varmint, then you can top load your dBm

At the risk of hijacking this thread, but is there any reason why Remington isn't an option? Or should I start a Ruger vs Remington thread?

Comment

• Laflamme
          Laflamme commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by fxol" post=21903
          At the risk of hijacking this thread, but is there any reason why Remington isn't an option? Or should I start a Ruger vs Remington thread?
          strickly my personal preference. I have a ruger and in a 357 bolt carbine its great but I would not want that kind of a bolt in a 308. To rough not very smooth. Perhaps it could be said that I have not considered a big bore remington enough but I owned them in the states and they never were my top pic. I'm in a situation where I am only going to get to buy 1 new rifle maybe this decade and that is going to be 2 year savings project. So I need to have a good goal in mind.

That brought me to the Howa and the Tikka. I did not know there are heeps of threads on this. Probably because we have high thread turn over here and they drop from the top rather quickly. That and I don't really know how to use (or where) the search feature is. I am just not that computer savy.

But more importantly I wanted the nuts and bolts answer which I got in spades rather quickly. Now If I could just find the price on these Howas I should be straight, but if I want a tikka I don't see that being out of my price range the deal though is that any 308 worth having will need of scope so you can use all its ability. I don't see as well as I used to. 300m from iron sights was always a stretch for me. Never mind at something the size of prairie dog. So that is a factor as well. A 308 capable scope will set you back a bit. Which will be on top of the rifle. anyhow thank you for your help I'll keep this one on file.

:lol: only you go for the shit cars and shit guns several :lol: I dont even think varminator or mick would follow those fords .

Comment

sorry mate here is one thats been getting a hammering lately
          http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/rifles-bolt-action-centre-fire/1972-after-info-on-the-howa-1500-223
          being titled howa the tikkas got a bit of a hammering in this one without much return fire :lol:

Comment

DBM = detachable box magazine

Comment

Laflamme,

Brutally honest - either of them will do you just fine.
              as was mentioned further up the list - what ever rifle you get - you are going to want to spend close enough to the same dollars on the optics that you put on it, if you really want to get the full value out of the rifle.

So that being said - Tikka / Howa either or will do nicely,
              both of them have plenty of options, for those that want a DBM you can get an aftermarket trigger housing for the Howa which will support either 5 or 10 Rounds, works for either the 223 or the 308 variants of the Howa M1500.

I wouldn't buy a Hogue stock but that's just me being picky, the Boyds stocks fit nicely, and look better, if you 1/2 way competent you can buy an action, for a Howa M1500, buy the stock to mount it in, add a set of scope mounts, rings and some glass and you'll have a great rifle that will last you for years.

I think the Tikka is probably a little lighter, but i haven't really used one enough to compare.

If your looking for a 3rd option, don't be afraid to consider a Savage, again, fairly cost effective, and will last you a life time if you look after it.

Regards,

Andrew
              Savage MKII BTVS 22lr
              Howa M1500 223 Varmint
              BRNO ZK601 270
              Springfield 30-06 Carbine

Comment

I was in the same boat as the OP about 6 months ago. Trying to figure out which rifle I wanted to buy for around $1000 or less.
                I had narrowed my choices down to either of: R700 SPS, T3 varmint, Savage Model 12 or Howa 1500.

Out of all of them the T3 had the best combination of features + out of the box accuracy. And I also really liked the feel of the action. It's really about your personal preference and what you want to do with the rifle.

Positives of the T3:
                As others have mentioned when shooting from a front rest or bipod the Hogue overmoulded stocks on the R700SPS and Howa are a let down (stock will flex enough to touch the barrel when shooting from a bipod and this will open up your groups). But if you are planning to use and after market stock anyway you could simply get the howa 1500 barrelled action for less and save a bit of coin.

The detachable magazine was a nice feature for me. I didn't like the idea of having to cycle my bolt several times or drop the floorplate to unload my magazine. Just felt awkward and unnecessary in this day and age.

The savage Action was also quite nice, but after doing some research and inspecting diagrams / pictures of how their Accu-Trigger worked, I didn't really have much confidence in it's longevity. I felt that the sear would wear out faster than either of the other makes and models I was looking at. Also if the 'safety' part o the accutrigger was tripped, you'd have to cycle the action again (and eject the live round) to reset the trigger. Which put me off.

The Factory Tikka T3 trigger is adjustable down to 2lbs with a simple system for preventing you from adjusting it below this mount. Adjusted down to the minimum it is a very clean and crisp break with very little resistance. I would not want anything lower than this for a rifle I would take out hunting. Feels bloody fantastic. Miles ahead of either the R700 or Howa triggers in my opinion.

Again, if you are planning to put an aftermarket trigger on your rifle, then this is not really a value-add for you and can be ignored.

Negatives of the T3:
                The springs in the magazine have been known to wear out. I haven't had this problem, but the rifle is still quite new. So I can't really tell you from much experience on this issue other than 250 rounds & 6 months later and no issues with the magazine whatsoever.

The Magazine only allows SAAMI length rounds. Yep. No loading to the lands with the stock magazine. you can however, single feed them with no issues.

tl;dr:
                If you want to do the minimum amount of customisation then IMO the tikka is a better offering with more features / value adds than anything else in it's price range. It will shoot 0.5 MOA right out of the box, has a detachable magazine, adjustable trigger and a very silky smooth action and it's stock, while plasticky and cheap-feeling, is fully free floating, has aluminimum pillars for the action screws and is solid enough to shoot from a bipod without flexing.
                Neither the similarly priced r700 SPS, Savage 12 or Howa 1500's could match this level of 'bang for your buck'

If, however, you plan to customise your rifle with an aftermarket stock, trigger, magazine system etc. then the R700 is probably your best bet as it has the most amount of aftermarket products and support available. Followed by the Howa 1500.
                ---------------------------------

Final thoughts:
                At the end of the day though, you should go into the gunshop and ask to handle each of the rifles you are interested in and see which one you like the feel of more. For me, I was sold on the Tikka as soon as I cycled the bolt for the first time.
                For the record I found the R700 action very stiff. didn't like it at all. The howa was kind of a happy medium between the stiff R700 and the very slick T3. Some people might want a little more resistance in the bolt throw than what the Tikka provides, in which case the Howa would feel very nice to them.

It's not much different to buying anything else. some people swear that sony bravia TV's are the only TV you should ever buy, some people reckon a Soniq is just fine.

Some people like Holdens, some people like fords, others like BMW/ Mercedes or Turbo Japanese imports. There's no right or wrong answer, value is in the eye of the beholder. There's no point buying something you don't like just because a bunch of opinionated jerks on the interwebs told you its the best.

I've had some people tell me the T3 was a superb choice, I've had others mock me and call it a plasTikka or tell me it's not as good as whatever their rifle is. Honestly though, the rifle shoots better than I do. So it'll be just fine for me for a long time and I'd say that's probably true for most punters. If you are a high level competition marksman, maybe you should buy a high priced custom / precision target rifle to suit your level of skill and intended purpose.

I hope this has helped.

Comment

This is the reason I own Howa's.

The only custom work (if you can call it that) is they all wear Boyds Stocks and all bar one has had the trigger worked by Glen Couglan, other than that they are all standard, the barreled action and stocks cost between $700 -$800 depending on where/when I bought them, what's not to like, I get a reliable accurate rifle fitted with a stock of my choosing and doesn't cost a small fortune, definitely a happy owner here. :P nothing wrong with Tikka's just that the Howa's are cheaper to buy and I can customise them to my liking for less than the equivalent in Tikka.

Would I own a Tikka - yeah maybe one day (T3 Hunter) not into plastic stocks etc. Either will suit your needs - as someone has suggested go and handle a few diff brands and see what you like, with some time and skill they will all shoot well.

Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• Laflamme
                    Laflamme commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Varminator" post=23208
                    This is the reason I own Howa's.

The only custom work (if you can call it that) is they all wear Boyds Stocks and all bar one has had the trigger worked by Glen Couglan, other than that they are all standard, the barreled action and stocks cost between $700 -$800 depending on where/when I bought them, what's not to like, I get a reliable accurate rifle fitted with a stock of my choosing and doesn't cost a small fortune, definitely a happy owner here. :P nothing wrong with Tikka's just that the Howa's are cheaper to buy and I can customise them to my liking for less than the equivalent in Tikka.

Would I own a Tikka - yeah maybe one day (T3 Hunter) not into plastic stocks etc. Either will suit your needs - as someone has suggested go and handle a few diff brands and see what you like, with some time and skill they will all shoot well.
                    no question thats great shooting. good rifle ill have to go have a look. thank you for the time you took to reply.

thank you all for your time and posts. It was a very fruitful comparison the rest is up to me. I'll keep you posted but like I said this is a long term goal.
                  "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

Working...
                  X