Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After info on the Howa 1500 .223

Hi guys,
    I am looking at a Howa 1500 .223 with S/S varmint barrel and the laminated thumbhole stock. I have looked at a few reviews and they seem pretty accurate. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these rifles good or bad. The big issue for me is for another $100 i could have the Tikka T3 which is a proven rifle but I really like the thumbhole stock.
    It will only be used for small game hunting and maybe a bit of target shooting at the range but only to satisfy Lic requirements and the cheaper Howa will let me put $100 worth of better quality glass on it.
    Any views will be appreciated
    Cheers
    Rick

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=20695
      I will take that as a positive response then, thanks

I have a Howa M1500 in 223, Blue Varmint 24" Barrel, I went with a Blackhawk Axiom stock
    I have heard of a couple of people having issues with the extractor on the 223, but so far (granted its only been 20 odd rounds) I haven't had any problems.

Watch what Scope Mount and Rings you get - Although the Remington Weaver scope mounts fit, you need to shim the Rear mount to make the scope zero correctly.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info.

AJ

Comment

I had the bolt fall out of my weather by vanguard (howa1500) the pivot screw on the bolt release button broke . Then it fails to hold the bolt . Apparently its a common fault a design flaw . Besides that it shot pretty good . I sold it because of that and I wanted a larger mag capacity and remove able magazine so I could chuck the magazine in and out of the glove box to quickly load and unload it . They are good value for money thou but I think anything can be acurised wether by fine tune reloading or some gunsmithing work just the tikkas seem consistantly acurate out of the box . Also there is a Howa CEO on here I think his name is mick :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=20722
        I had the bolt fall out of my weather by vanguard (howa1500) the pivot screw on the bolt release button broke . Then it fails to hold the bolt . Apparently its a common fault a design flaw . Besides that it shot pretty good . I sold it because of that and I wanted a larger mag capacity and remove able magazine so I could chuck the magazine in and out of the glove box to quickly load and unload it . also there is a Howa CEO on here I think his name is mick :lol:
        If you haven't replaced the Howa yet have a look at the Mossberg MVP I like the 10 shot mag but the only thing I know about Mossberg is their shot guns.

Keen to follow this thread as well.. Looking at howa 1500 in .223 or .243 S/S Varmint and matching it to an xlr evolution chassis..
      It would seem u rarely hear a bad thing about Howas.. Never will be a Sako, but if u want a reliable and accurate rifle for hunting only (I've no real interest in bench shooting) that lasts forever, then it seems a howa is a pretty good option.
      I'm spewing that it seems u can't fit the 22-250 howa in the Xlr chassis..

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I emailed XLR yesterday - they confirmed they will do both the Short or long action Howa in an Evolution chassis $795 for the Chassis

Thanks guys off to Browns plains gunshop on Monday YeeHaa.

Comment

Show us your Howa Tread!
        http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/rifles-bolt-action-centre-fire/381-howa-rifle-thread?limitstart=0&start=140
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

I love my Howa
          It had the extractor DOA but was fixed quick by the dealer, never had trouble with it since.
          It will quite happinly put 10rds into a 10c piece at 50, sometimes a 5c piece. Its just wearing the hogue, with a mag kit, nothing fancy.
          For the money I cant fault em, they just work

Comment

Thought I would throw a pic up of the rifle I am looking at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	small_jpeg_1382391816_2013-10-26.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	35583

Comment

• Varminator
              Varminator commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Rickoshea" post=20775
              Thought I would throw a pic up of the rifle I am looking at.

Nice one mate - how much?
              Attached Files

I can't say much bad about a Howa and I've always thought I'd own one one day. I respect the Hell out of them. But, I bought a Tikka and don't regret it. For me, it was the weight factor. The Howa weighed considerably more than the Tikka for the comparable rifle. I haul the T3 Lite around and damn near forget I've got it.

The Howa is great, but, I spend the extra on the lighter rifle and work the optics into the budget as I can.

Comment

How much for that whole package cause thats pretty much the set up I am after. If ya don't mind me asking !!!

Comment

Here's a question for you but if you could buy a heavy barrelled action in either tikka or Howa in stainless steel for $500 each with no floor plates or magazines which would you buy :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=20905
                  Here's a question for you but if you could buy a heavy barrelled action in either tikka or Howa in stainless steel for $500 each with no floor plates or magazines which would you buy :lol:
                  Still buy the Howa.
                  1. Because I know they shoot
                  2. Because the Tikka recoil lug is the worst in the business & makes bedding a real pain.
                  3. That tiny ejection port & lousy mag/ramp set up makes single loading impossible (in my mates one at least)
                  4. I prefer top loaders.
                  5. Would never own a rifle with a plastic bolt stop.
                  6. Would never own a rifle with plastic parts on the bolt.
                  7. No matter how you word it, you cannot escape that horrible magazine.
                  8. The action is ugly as sin.
                  9. Howa bolt is forged 1 piece.
                  10. Howa action & recoil lug is Forged 1 piece.
                  :lol: :lol:

Mick.

• Varminator
                  Varminator commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=20905
                  I'd stick with what I know and go the Howa still, I can get the stocks cheap and I know how to make em shoot. Been using em for 30yrs now and see no point in changing now.

I've got the heavy barreled howa 223 in the laminate thumbhole stock and love it. I played with ruger, tikka, sako, cz and decided on the howa as it felt solid and functioned well and can do everything the others can at a cheaper price. With my current load I can get 5 shots inside a 20c piece at 100m if I do my part. Only thing I don't like is the trigger is a little heavy but all stock guns are that I've used.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Comanche" post=20968
                  I've got the heavy barreled howa 223 in the laminate thumbhole stock and love it. I played with ruger, tikka, sako, cz and decided on the howa as it felt solid and functioned well and can do everything the others can at a cheaper price. With my current load I can get 5 shots inside a 20c piece at 100m if I do my part. Only thing I don't like is the trigger is a little heavy but all stock guns are that I've used.
                  You need to see the eBay Howa trigger doctor :lol: god gave him special Howa trigger powers :lol:

One of the Howa ceo's on here has his number :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: atleast yous are passionate about it . Tikka's Engineer's won't sleep to night if they read those comments :lol:

Comment

• several
                  several commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Howas are an awesome gun for the money, I think people tend to write them off a bit because they are so cheap and cheap usually equals inferior quality though in this case I don't believe that's true.

• kram
                  kram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=20969
                  :lol: :lol: :lol: atleast yous are passionate about it . Tikka's Engineer's won't sleep to night if they read those comments :lol:
                  I dunno mate, I think I'd be sleeping quite well if I was a Tikka engineer. I wouldnt be losing any sleep if I worked for Howa either. However I'm willing to bet the Finnish people sleep pretty soundly.

I wonder if this would work or not?

Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Working...
                X