Who else has a Bill Marden Custom?
    This is mine'.Specifications are
    Calibre 22-250
    Remington M17 30-06 action with shortened magazine follower
    Douglas No 5 barrel
    Timney trigger
    New Zealand Kauri thumb hole stock.
    K12 weaver scope
    I bought this rifle second hand in !982 from the original owner who had it built to shoot foxes but sold it to me to buy the then new 17 Rem He had fired 1800 rounds in that time and I have put approximately another 1200 rounds through in the last 31 years. Bill Marden set this up to fire Sierra 52 gn HPBT with 36.5gn IMR 4064 powder and Remington 9 1/2 Mag primers for 3600fps. I always use 52 gn HPBT projectiles but now use 33.5gnof ADI 2206 for 3300fps with no decrease in accuracy. This rifle has always been a pleasure to shoot and can still shoot 1 inch groups off the ute bonnet
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC03747.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	35343
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

always nice to see something different.

Comment

I found this topic trying to track down any info on Bill Marden and his rifles and decided to join the group. I've just purchased one and am pretty keen to find out a little more about them. Mine is based on the same M17 Enfield running what I'd reckon is a very heavy Douglas barrel (I don't have it home yet to give it a better look over). The action has had the mag well filled in to convert to single shot and strengthen the already heavy action just a bit more, I guess. Cal is 22.250 and is fitted with 3 screw Redfield bases with 26mm rings. The original scope is gone and the rings have been shimmed with what looks like brass to 1". It's currently fitted with a late 80's vintage Jap Tasco World Class 6-24x44 with 1/8" dot and adjustments. Trigger is unknown at the moment but breaks consistently at just over 1lb. The nicely swept back bolt handle and stock shape reminds me of Pre64 lines. It was one of 2 rifles that went through the same gunshop this year, the other one been a fancy 243 AI apparently from the same owner. I would love to know roughly when it was put together and any suggestions as to the type of scope originally fitted- I'm thinking a Pecar or Kahles from the period. Any info would be appreciated. I loved this old girl as soon as I saw it and it's great to own a piece of Aussie 'smithing history. Can't wait to get it home and crank some handloads through it!

Name:	1103453-2014-04-08_04-52-14-PM.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	168279

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	168277

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	168278

Comment

• moofy07
        moofy07 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a Bill Marden rifle built for me in the early '70s when he was operating out of a large shed behind his house in Punchbowl. yeah, I remember I had to walk over a big drain which had a rickety old bridge. Oh well, those were memories.
        The rifle in question was built on a left hand savage 110 action (virtually the only left hand action you could buy back then), Bill chambered it in a match chamber 22-250.
        It wore a number 5 Douglas barrel with a target crown. Bills son made a beautiful French walnut stock for it. I think he still carries on the Simplex reloading presses and accessories business.
        It was truly a great rifle which shot as good as it looks.
        Unfortunately, I fell on hard times about 8 years later and had to sell the rifle. But my wife wasted the money on stupid things like food and baby's food and clothing, electricity bills and useless mortgage payments. Never trust the women with the proceeds of gun sales..
        I had some uncle mikes sling swivel bases on the rifle when it was sold, but the bloke who bought used some cheap swivels and they broke busting the stock.
        What I don't get is some people who buy quality rifles and put crap accessories on them.
        I wish I had a pic but in those days we did not do such niceties.
    Working...
    X