Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 204 Ruger Thread

G'day Fella's,

Figured I start the 204 thread off for all the 204 enthusiasts - so post all your Pics, tips, tricks, advice, experiences, results etc etc on the 204 here.
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

I don't wanna hijack the whole 204 thread but I am i the process of building a .20 VarTarg (221 Fireball necked to 20).

I love the 204, they are great but I like the efficiency of the 20 Vartarg - 20 grains of powder with 32gr pills gaining 3850fps. I know the factory 204 Hornady ammo claims 4250fps or so, but my handloads would still only get 3950 - 4020. This is supposed to be due to a 'blended powder' used by Hornady to gain the velocity. I found using 32gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and AR2219 shot really well.

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by VarmintPid" post=17186
      I don't wanna hijack the whole 204 thread but I am i the process of building a .20 VarTarg (221 Fireball necked to 20).

I love the 204, they are great but I like the efficiency of the 20 Vartarg - 20 grains of powder with 32gr pills gaining 3850fps. I know the factory 204 Hornady ammo claims 4250fps or so, but my handloads would still only get 3950 - 4020. This is supposed to be due to a 'blended powder' used by Hornady to gain the velocity. I found using 32gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and AR2219 shot really well.
      A mate had a 221 furball, great little cal and loved the fact you could make the cases out of 223, 222's etc which is handy too. So what's the advantage of the 20 Vartag over the 221 or 204 for that matter?

Sambar country is going
    To be all over this thread like a fat kid on chocolate cake.

Comment

• Sambar Country
      Sambar Country commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by war_machine " post=17261
      Sambar country is going
      To be all over this thread like a fat kid on chocolate cake.
      Where's all the pictures?

You want pics hey?

Comment

• Obrim
      Obrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Them bunnies be dead

• Yibbitta
      Yibbitta commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Varminator" post=17270
      You want pics hey?

Do you want to share where you have been getting your supply of Sierra BK 30gn? Please.............

The Speedy Varmint Calibres are magic, especially on a day like today here with "no wind" or late afternoon to night / real early morning.

The .204R can be a devestator or it can be tamed down, called experimentation and have done heaps of it. Still with razor accuracy and super high speed well over 4,000fps but pick the right bullet and even a sideways body shot on a Rabbit at a reasonable distance like 200m will not exit nor cause meat damage. Slightly less distance and I have seen the Mate do a hasty shot, missed the head but got one just behind the front legs at an angle towards the bum end....Well, it just gutted it and left nothing other than the meat under the skin very sad looking.

One learns by mistakes.

We use the .204R on Fox's with the same loads and no pelt damage but again the task is Head Shots and it doesn't make a mess of the head to get the entire pelt to tan.

Comment

Like "VK4ALE" I'm also an Amateur Radio NUT......

Where is the loacation that says "Where it snows".... ?????

It snows here in Bathurst too......

If you want to try some 30gr Berger / Barnes I can send you some samples plus some load data.

Comment

• notorious_benny
        notorious_benny commented
        Editing a comment
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20131015_202028.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	32969
        I am still working on a load with my Sako 85.

It seems to like 39gr sierra BK's with 26.7gr of BM 8208.

This is my 5 shot 100 yard group I shot while developing loads Shame about the pulled shot, the other 4 holes measured 0.47 inch outer to outer ...... is that how you measure a group? Or do I deduct the rifles calibre?

Either way is makes for dead foxes

You either measure a "Group" from the outside extremity and deduct the calibre size but you need to take into account the material the target is made from. Or, you measure from centre to centre as a basic measurement.

Measuring shots in competion target shoot is a little more complex.

Comment

• notorious_benny
        notorious_benny commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that! Either way the rifle/ammo combo is capable of well under 1moa even if the shooter isnt!!

I only measured the groups to work out what my rifle likes, its really only for whacking foxes.

A lot if not a majority of target shooting is about learning skills and about your equipment to make you a better hunter.

The more confident you are at hitting a target where you aimed the better and more accurate hunter you will become. Learning different conditions etc that you can't do on the job .... learning to know where that first "cold shot" will land is your hunting.

Fine shooting groups with warming rounds to show the accuracy of your rifle / load combination but you still need to know that first cold shot accuracy as that is the most often shot one when hunting.

Enjoy yourself, that's the most important part.

Comment

Anyone else got some pics of their 204's in action whether it be varmint bustin or targets?

Comment

Comment

• Vromme
            Vromme commented
            Editing a comment
            Classic photo of rifling, would have thought 20cal hole too small for camera to get decent photo like that.

How does she shoot?

Gday guys,

Gotta love a .204 thread.

I bought my Tikka last year and I absolutely love it. I have not done enough with it yet but have had some good results all the same. Mega has been a great help with load data over the last year or so and a great help with some reloading issues I had in the past.

Pet load is

39gr SBK
          28g AR2206h
          CCI BR4 Primer
          1.936" to Ogive..

Targets below are both 5 shot at 100 yds... Smaller group measured just over .1MOA......

Some of you blokes may have seen these photos on the previous forums but for those who have not, enjoy..

Cheers...

Comment

nice groups there!!

muzzle break?
            bet it doesn't need one.
            then again,..........whatever helps with those tiny groups.
            and it does look good.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Gday Send it:

Yeah I have had many discussions about putting a muzzle brake on my .204.... Truth is recoil is non-existent, now I know recoil in minimal to begin so I guess that is the argument.

My rifles crosshairs to not move off target and seeing a bunnies head pop beyond 250yds is pretty cool.

Yes I do believe the brake also helps with my groups but the rifle is real accurate...

I am working up loads with the 35gr bergers now so I'll post some targets and recipes soon..

"Mega" has also had experience using a brake and could weigh in here... "Chelpdogg" from the old forums also had a video of my rifle firing with the brake and it convinced him to brake his .204.....

Cheers...

Good to see ya show up and contribute Butta, what size scope have you got on the 204 mate? Nice results too mate, shoots well. I like the muzzle brake, I take it it's more for muzzle jump than recoil (which as we know is similar to a 223 or 222 etc).

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Gday Varminator:

The scope is a NXS 5.5-22x50

Yeah there is no barrel whip what so ever.

Here's mine with a 4 shot group first shot then 3 in the same hole

Comment

There are some people on this forum who put brakes on to a .22, whatever floats your boat, your rifle do whatever. I've got a .204 but don't think I'll bother putting a brake on it. It's a heavy T3 Varmint and I don't shoot paper at a range...it's accurate enough the way it is. I can understand why you would put a brake on it if you get off on miniscule groups at the range. Also have an HSS brake (version 1) for my .30-06. It dramatically reduced recoil but found it affected the balance of a 6.4 Ibs T3 Lite, making it muzzle heavy. So now I just put up with getting a good solid whack in the shoulder. The .204 rocks...brake or not.
              I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Working...
              X