Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .223 Zero

what do you zero your .223 to and why?

next time im at the range im going to try a 50m/200m zero on my iron sights. I was doing some reading and read that the trajectory of a .223 hits the very close to the same mark at 50m and 200m. at 100 m it should hit 1.5 inch high and at 25m it should hit roughly 1.2inch low. its seems like a pretty flexible zero. anyone tried this

Good flat shooting zero for hunting out to 250m. Trajectory will change slightly depending on bullet weight and powder charge.

Comment

lots of variables to consider.
      it will depend on why you have the 223 in the first place.
      1.5" high @ 100yds means you'll likely shoot over many small targets (rabbits etc) in between 75 and 150 yds.
      which when you think about it, is probably the distance at most of your shots will be at.
      for hunting (day or night) you're probably better off bringing your 'zero' back closer to the 'average' distance, or, the distance you encounter the most.
      then be aware of if you get the occasional longer shot, allow for the holdover.
      what ammunition are you using?
      e.g; what projectile weight traveling at what speed?
      if you're not sure, just tell us the brand of ammo etc and we'll likely be able to tell you.

Comment

I've thought about trying this technique with my .22LR, but just haven't got around to field testing it. As for the .223 a 100m zero is the most suitable for my hand loads as most shots are taken between 75 and 150m.

I recommend what ever you go with to get out and field test it. Ballistics calculators aren't always correct. I generally use them for a rough a guts table then spend a day on the range confirming / tweaking it. Keep in mind the height of your scope above the center line of the barrel will have an effect on your DOPE also.

Cheers.

Shaun.

Comment

:lol:
          just had a thought.
          better clarify that 'DOPE' stands for Data Of Previous Engagement.
          he's not having a crack at you.
          in other words, recording 'zero'ing' outcomes and making adjustments.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            right now im using 55grain American eagle FMJ out of my 16" 7615

I've got some hunting rounds ready for when I go hunting been keeping everything to 55grain

the graph was for 55 grain 556 thought it would pretty close?

just hitting paper at the moment but will eventually use for goats/pigs and rabbits

thx for mentioning about the dope I always wandered what people were referring to when they said DOPE :P

I know many who hunt with a 223 that do this..me included.

I sight in for a 1/2" high at 50 using 55grainers...as for bunny's at 200 or more, put it this way, I'm not trying to head shootem at that distance and I have no trouble hittin em, so I can recommend it for sure.

Comment

I zero my 223 at 100 - basically because I primarily use it as a varmint round

I have a small dot of liquid paper on the turret for 200, 300 and 400 - I find it easier than using holds (but i also carry a rangefinder everywhere)

Comment

Nick Harvey has a section on bush ballistics in his "Practical Reloading Manual" which roughly corrosponds with what you are doing. For a 55 grainer he suggests zeroing at 1.7 inches at 100 yards for a 218 metre zero. That way if you are going to hit no more than two inches high or low out to 250 metres, find for a fox or a cat if you aim at the middle of the engine room.

You need to play around with it for your rifle though as the muzzle velocity may differ due to the barrel length and ammo differences. I run Hornady Steel Maxes which were over 3000 fps on the package but when I ran them over a chrono they were going at just over 2700. Still good out to 220 metres with a 190 metre zero using this method though.

Another thing to consider though is how well you are shooting. I'm sticking to a 100 yard zero for the moment because that is the range that I am confident at and I haven't seen anything at over that range yet anyway, but I may stretch it at a later date.
              "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                I always thought its best to be only one inch high anywhere to avoid over shooting, and use a ballistic app to get an idea of the best zero range, and a range finder?

Also Dylan S is worth having a chat to. He does a fair bit of 223 shooting of pigs and goats and I have read him suggest that you should keep the shots under 100 metres for them and use good bullets.
              "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

yes I need to find out more about most suitable hunting .223 rounds thx will ask him as only got some cheap soft points at the moment.

not reloading yet plan too once I get more hours behind the rifle. everything still new to me.

Comment

• Emptee
                  Emptee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If and when you do reload, I can recommend the 60gn Nosler partition. I used it a lot on pigs and goats out of my 22-250 and they never failed me back then.

50 yard zero

from this very informative thread http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65679

Comment

• Pitty
                  Pitty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would have thought this topic was better suited to Ballistics!
              Working...
              X