Sako 85 case hitting scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sako 85 case hitting scope

G'day all recently got a sako 85 in 30/06 and every ejected case smashes Into the scope. A lot of the time the round falls back down into the action instead of ejecting

If I turn the scope 90 degrees so the windage turret is ontop of the scope and the elevation on the left side the cases eject out the action but still bash on the side of the scope

What should I do? Mount my scope on the wrong angle or does anyone know of a fix for this

Thanks. Anthony

You may have to put in higher rings. What ring setup are you using?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Low optilocks. That's an option to but they're so f'ing expensive I don't really want to buy another set of them

I've got a T3 Lite .30-06. When cases are ejected they just go flying out into the bush. Don't know if they hit the scope....wouldn't really worry me if they did. Even ejecting a live cartridge really slowly they flick out easily. Never had one fall back into the action. Damned if I know.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
      SmoothOperator_87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Its to do with the ejector angle, extract harder

You could try opening the bolt gently don't rip it back . If that don't help then you could get a gunsmith to remove the blade and fit a Sako 75 plunger type ejector at a better angle. Also you could just remove the blade and have no ejector if you mainly feed one shot at a time .
    You could sell it and buy a 75 which is a better action in my view .
    This is what happens when they start using three locking lugs it tends to screw up the accepted way to do things.
    By the time Beretta is finished Sako's name will be garbage .

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Sell it mate, its a pitty as they are such a nice rifle.

Its pretty simple just throw a set of mediums
    mounts on or even tilt the gun so the breach is facing down and to the left or right depending on if your right or left handed and you or slow down your speed when working the bolt if ya pull it hard its just gonna fly out faster snd hit the scope try it slow. Ight just spit it out enough given the clearance you have

Comment

I've had the same trouble with cases hitting the scope turret then falling back into the action with my Sako 75 in .223, I have a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 in super low rings on this rifle.

I had to file the front base a bit so I could move the scope as far forward as it could go so the ejecting cases would miss the turret, it ejects fine now!

My 75 has a blade ejector that comes up through the bottom of the bolt, I've had no trouble with my old Sako L461 which has the ejector on the side.

If your rifle ejects ok with the scope turned on its side, then maybe give that a go for a bit and see what you think!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        As far as I am aware the Sako 75 has the plunger ejector . The Sako 85 has the blade ejector at the 6 o'clock position .
        It sounds to me you have a Sako 85 .

This problem is fairly common. You're not the first and won't be the last. My .223 does the same thing, mainly because the scope is verrrry low to the barrel and it has chunky tactical turrets. I just put some electrical tape on the underside of the scope to prevent marking. It still ejects fine however.

Comment

I have two Sako 85's and never heard of this problem.

Don't change the height of the scope/rings, as you want the scope as close to the barrel as possible.

Any photos??

Comment

it is only a problem that seems to happen with 30-06, 25-06, 270 etc

i have a sako 85 in 243 and its fine because the shell is much shorter

i have heaps of videos of it happening and even when i get it to eject every time the shell is still hitting the scope on the way out of the action.

Comment

Can you put up a photo of your rifle and scope?

Comment

I wonder if there is a spring that could be cut down or stretched to reduce it's effectiveness? I'd be having a word to a gunsmith and see if there is a easy, cheap fix to the prob.
              Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                So far the solution is to rotate the scope 90 degrees counter clockwise. Turret is out of the way and all is well. Annoying though

Put up some detailed pics of bolt, bolt face, extractor, ejector, and the vids. This is fixable, just gotta know which exact angle to alter to get it throwing where you want.

Comment

• MrCarbine
                MrCarbine commented
                Editing a comment
                So sorry to hear Beretta does not back their products. This should not happen.
            Working...
            X