• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .300 Blackout Bolt-action

AAC .300 Blackout Bolt-action
    RRP StateSide $900 USD Drool Drool
    [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
    [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
    [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
    [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
    [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Yes..........Yes it is

Comment

Nice looking rifle but .300 black out? I don't get it. The cartridge itself makes no sense to me an a bolt action rifle without a suppressor.

May as well shoot a lever gun in .44 mag from what I can tell.

Forgive me if I'm missing something

Steve

Comment

AAC the maker of this rifle is leading suppressor maker in the STATES so I guess most of these rifles probably sold with them fitted.

Remember the .30/221 and similiar cartridges been kicking around for years as a varmint round.
        The .44Mag in Lever action is good combo, but this AAC rifle is not intended for the same usage. Comparing apples with bananas.
        [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
        [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
        [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
        [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
        [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Shooting Sports" post=11517
          AAC the maker of this rifle is leading suppressor maker in the STATES so I guess most of these rifles probably sold with them fitted.

Remember the .30/221 and similiar cartridges been kicking around for years as a varmint round.
          The .44Mag in Lever action is good combo, but this AAC rifle is not intended for the same usage. Comparing apples with bananas.
          I reckon Aussie 300AAC Blackout rifles need a 20 inch barrel as a minimum and run heavy 200+ gn projies subsonic. I reckon the extra barrel length should mean powder should be burnt by now ( picking the right one) and there should be less "rush" of propellant gases out of the barrel resulting in less bang at the rifle end and no "crack" of supersonic flight at the target end.

I just don't feel the love for the current 16 inch or less barrels in the Aussie market place.

In actions designed for a 223 length cartridge, it is a good way to give a heavier projie and greater down range energy. The downside is a reduced range and greater curve of trajectory.

Each to there own.

Thanks,

Oddball

Blackout makes sense in an M4 in an assaulters roll but I agree with 6602steven on this one. Doesn't make sense unless you put a can on it. Even then there are other options like just downloading the 308 you may already have. That way you have the option of sub rounds if you need to be quieter or the standard ones if you need to reach out further than 200m.

Tis a nice looking rifle tho

Comment

• El-Skippo
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=11547
          Blackout makes sense in an M4 in an assaulters roll but I agree with 6602steven on this one. Doesn't make sense unless you put a can on it. Even then there are other options like just downloading the 308 you may already have. That way you have the option of sub rounds if you need to be quieter or the standard ones if you need to reach out further than 200m.

Tis a nice looking rifle tho
          Or a 80 grn pill with trail boss or AS30 in a .223 will get you sub's good for plonking bunnie's and the odd red Coat :lol: But then again, too much trouble when you can get 22lr cci quite's or sub's for pretty cheap Save the headache of getting a subbie load to work. 45-70 with a 300 grn HP and trail boss dose a good loud thud from a lever i might add also Like throwing a brick :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty sure cleavers have these in stock
        I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Here we go again......

Here is my summary on all the whisper threads that were on the other forum. Most people say there is no point and there are better or other calibres to do it with, some agree and some dont and there is a to and fro for a few pages.

I own 2 30-221's, a 338BR and have been doing some development on a 375BR so i have more background than most on this. If you want to shoot a long heavy projie subsonic you CANT do it by loading down a 308 as the twist is wrong, what you can do is shoot say 150-180gr projies (less with a 12 twist). If you say the supersonic specs of the 30-221 or BO aren't as good as a 30-30 or so you are RIGHT, they can shoot a 110gr in the 2200-2400 range (i have never done it) which is about what a 30-30 shoots a 150gr at. The whisper will loose velocity slower due to the bullet form but thats its. There is no getting away from the point that they were designed for subsonic or close range supersonic use in mind.

The reason for owning a Whisper or BO isnt because they cover what other rounds can do, its because they can do subsonic better than those rounds. To those who say they are useless without a suppressor i say until you have shot one you wont understand. Its like shooting a 22LR (noise and recoil) that hits 5 times harder. It can be usefull when you dont want to stuff around with earmuffs or have people nearby, etc.

I have only shot 1 of my whispers supersonic on purpose and that was so i could use up a box of 155gr target projies in an IPSC rifle match, they were doing approx 1800fps with room to go harder.

223 AI 80gr Amax with 5.6gr Traillboss is subsonic and stable in my 6.5 twist barrel.
          30-221 208 Amax with 9.8gr 2205 is subsonic and stable in my 8 twist barrel.

This isnt aimed at the 30 cal whispers but it will give you an idea what a whisper is capable of. The load development i have been doing on the 375 Whisper (6mmBR case) is pretty good, its shooting a 225gr interbond at 2350fps with 29gr of powder and no pressure signs out of a 18" barrel. This is approx 80% of the velocity the 375H&H can do with 40% of the powder. If you are shooting in the 100-200m range i dont thin an animal will be able to tell the difference but i can tell you the shooter will!!!

i reakon ya better off with a decent bow, if you want energy and stealth.
        still,.........i guess you'll never burn a barrel out.

Comment

Steven,

You are right about the trajectory being similar but its not the same. My 22lr has 52moa of elevation from 50m to 300y (104mnoa to 500y) and my 30-221 has 38moa of elevation from a 75m to 300y. This could change when i work up a load for the lehighs. The other thing you will notice with the energy figures is that the 30-221 drops about 20% of its energy at 300y where a 22lr drops about 60%. The heavier you go the more energy you have. That's why i have a 375 Whisper and 510 Whisper in the works, then the energy figures will pick up There are a lot of things you cant find out by using a ballistics app. The BC you enter is not correct for the velocity band in which you are running them, wind doest have the same effect on a subsonic projes, the things that can have a big effect on group size at distance is the standard deviation, ES, weight variance and possible the bearing surface length (still working on this one). There is a lot more trial an error and that's where i find part of the fun comes from, also its a lot easier to find somewhere to stretch one compared to the bigger calibres i play with. The last time i shot my old 338 Whisper i had less wind on at 400y than a mate did with is 308.

I don't plan on shooting game with a 208 amax, its just the round i use to stuff around with. For game you need to spend a few dollars and use a bullet designed to work in the low velocity range. Le High Defence makes a range of projectiles that will expand in the 750-1250 range, in fact you cant shoot them over 1250fps without risking them exploding in the air.

If you take a close look at the 300 Whisper in the picture (don't have a pic of one on its own) you will see what looks like a slot in the nose. They are made with 4 slots running from just before the nose to just before they stick into the case. The cut goes all the way through the projectile into the hollow point, this is how they open at slow velocities. To date i haven't shot any animals with them but a mate has shot a deer with one of the 50cal subsonic projies at 100m and said it stopped it in its tracks, didn't move after it hit the ground.

I would feel confident taking a shot at an animal out to 125m as its pretty to hold over with a mill dot scope. If you zero at 75m the dot above the centre will be 50m, the dot below is 100m and 3 dots down is 125m. Ideally you should be using a range finder and scope with turrets.

Comment

• Tornado-Technologies
            Tornado-Technologies commented
            Editing a comment
            As mentioned by others, this rifle was designed to shoot suppressed, Hence the short, light weight barrel to help it balance out better when using one.
            Remington have been pushing the hunting and shooting suppressed thing very heavily. Remington owns one of the largest suppressor makers in the US - Advanced Armament (now part of Remington Military Products). Remington makes rifles that come factory threaded, this helps sell suppressors. Make sense?

The other reason they make them is that being that purchasing firearms is a lot simpler you have to have something that stands out from what everyone else is offering. The AAC model Remington's are "Tacticool" and this helps them sell.

As for the Aussie market, I'm seeing pretty limited applications. I see it being a good rifle for a guy who wants an off the shelf factory rifle, with factory available ammo, for applications such as pig shooting (when running some of the newer high velocity loads) in the scrub where you want something light, short and handy.
            Personally I'd rather have a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39.

Homer,

What issues? Other than the first few cases i lost when forming some 221 cases i have never seen it harder to load than any other calibre. A small case capacity is what you want when you only want to use a small amount of powder.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Seddo" post=12549
            Homer,

What issues? Other than the first few cases i lost when forming some 221 cases i have never seen it harder to load than any other calibre. A small case capacity is what you want when you only want to use a small amount of powder.
            G'Day Seddo,

Anything from blown cases (to much pressure), to jacketed bullets stuck in the barrel (not enough pressure)!
            These shooters have worked things out now but along the way, there was some serious situations!!!
            One of these blokes is now using ADI AR-2205, and the other AP/AS-30N powder, with 180 and 200+ (???) grain bullets respectively.

I'm using Trail Boss in both my 7.62 x 39 and .308Win, for my Sub-Sonic loads

Hope that helps

Doh!
            Homer

Hello!
          I have been using a 30/221 and varients for about 10years now and find them nice to use. I have used a rimmed version in a martini cadet, a standard 30/221 in an omark and also a 7.62x40 Wilson in a Howa 1500. All 3x rifles were fitted with 5000rnd+ second hand rifle range barrels, 1-13 twist.
          I have found them to group well, 1/2 moa being pretty normal and also to be very user friendly regarding recoil and muzzle blast.
          They are easier to source components for than a 7.62x39.......just need 223 brass and 308 projectiles(I scab second hand brass off roo shooters)
          They shoot pointy bullets as opposed to the flat ones in a 30/30
          They will shoot flatter than a 44mag
          Until you try one out, you will not know what you are missing!

Pilch303
          Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

• Tornado-Technologies
            Tornado-Technologies commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree there's definitely a better range of projectiles (in Australia at least) for .30.
            Back in the day, when 300 whisper was the cool cartridge, we used to source 5.56mm brass from a contact at ADI. They were production rejects with cracked case necks. These were purchased cheaply as scrap brass. Ah the good old days! Can't believe that's almost 17 years ago now!

Originally posted by Pilch303" post=12551
            Hello!
            I have been using a 30/221 and varients for about 10years now and find them nice to use. I have used a rimmed version in a martini cadet, a standard 30/221 in an omark and also a 7.62x40 Wilson in a Howa 1500. All 3x rifles were fitted with 5000rnd+ second hand rifle range barrels, 1-13 twist.
            I have found them to group well, 1/2 moa being pretty normal and also to be very user friendly regarding recoil and muzzle blast.
            They are easier to source components for than a 7.62x39.......just need 223 brass and 308 projectiles(I scab second hand brass off roo shooters)
            They shoot pointy bullets as opposed to the flat ones in a 30/30
            They will shoot flatter than a 44mag
            Until you try one out, you will not know what you are missing!

Pilch303

I cant imagine them being as quite as a 22lr with subs or even HVs with out using a can . I shot have game with bows and the impact still spooks every thing off . I go better shooting the 308 the noise kinda startles them it echoes around and they are not sure which way to run . I have a 22lr because the noise of the centrefires bother some property owners . they certainly have alot of energy at longer ranges for a subsonic 220 grain bullet thou

Comment

• fishphillott
            fishphillott commented
            Editing a comment
            Have been hunting with a bloke that has a 300 whisper
            Don't know anything about the round but I can say they are very quite compared to my 223

This was one of my old one, i too hold the right paperwork and it is very quite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-10-12.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	29373

Comment

• fishphillott
            fishphillott commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice looking rifle 510Sub I think thats the one I have seen in action with out the dildo on the pointy end even without it I was surprised at how quite it is
            Whilst culling roos on one particular station the rest of the mob sat around looking confused talking amongst them selves wondering why everyone is lying down

Trying to secure distribution now for sub-sonic specific ammunition.

Including:
          300BLK (30

These are an aluminium bullet in a jacket so not to foul your barrel.

Heres some results with 180gn 300BLK

Name:	03-13-09_210CONT.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	29430

Name:	300whisper.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	29431

Comment

I couldnt help but watch his fingers on the end of the barrel .It could be very distracting making a video . another vid i watched on here (different guy ) earlier he kept pointing the gun at the camera guy which I think was his son later on he nearly did it again and the mag was in and loaded he later unloaded it and spoke about safety :lol: but you know if we are spotting these things its a good thing and talking about them even better . Its all about awareness sometimes we dont think about the things we are doing and a fresh set of eyes will often pick this up .

Comment

Forensic analysis of spent projectiles is rarely as simple as portrayed in TV shows. In many cases, even factory projectiles (including FMJs) will deform so markedly that no useful comparison analysis is possible.

Even identification of calibre can be difficult as many different .22 and .30 calibre weapons can fire identical projectile types.

Generally, forensic examination of spent cases is more useful to police investigators.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Stan 66" post=26231
              Forensic analysis of spent projectiles is rarely as simple as portrayed in TV shows. In many cases, even factory projectiles (including FMJs) will deform so markedly that no useful comparison analysis is possible.

Even identification of calibre can be difficult as many different .22 and .30 calibre weapons can fire identical projectile types.

Generally, forensic examination of spent cases is more useful to police investigators.
              Exactly and AFAIK the problem they are having now (in relation to relavent shootings) is that revolvers have become the handgun of choice as it leaves no spent cases for them to examine. Anyway..thats way off topic..
          Working...
          X