The .260 remington thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The .260 remington thread

hey guys. since we lost a huge amount of valuable info on this growingly popular calibre in multiple threads i thought we could have one big thread as a reference to people thinking of getting one. post up your .260 rifles and what they like to eat. Load data and results.
    im currently still in development for 139gr lapua scenars so far best results have been ADI 2209 42.8grns seated .020" off the lands

so chuck em up boys, and lets show everyone how incredible this little cartridge really is

bottom 2 were sighting and had adjustments after. rest was a 10 shot group at 900yrds with no adjustments

forgot to bring the gong when looking for a clear spot to shoot so we just stuck a but of newspaper on the fence to have a crack at 1200m

still a ways to go but im in love with this round and cant wait to get out next.

It will possibly get more views and responses if this was posted in the correct sub-forum
    but its up to you
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

• Dummos
      Dummos commented
      Editing a comment
      yeh i just figured out it went into the wrong one still not quite used to the new forum

Great idea Dummos.
    139Scenar and 36.3 gr of VV160N works gr8 on my Tikka at 100 and 200 yds at Ripley

Long live the 260 club
    tk0
    Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
    Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
    Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
    Ruger American .22wmr
    BSA SuperSport XL .22
    Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
    Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

Tikka T3 Sporter

Click image for larger version

Name:	003_2013-10-06.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	26404

24' barrel 1 in 8 twist.
      130 VLD 43.5gr ar2213sc = .6 inch

Name:	006_2013-10-06.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	26405
      Tikka T3X 6XC
      Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
      Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
      Remington 788 - 222rem
      Browning Trombone .22

Comment

SAKO 85 , varmint , 260 rem, Chasis GREGT special. Viper skins, Cerakote finish, Nightforce F1.

So far Im getting good results with Berger VLD, 140g with 40 Gr of AR2209, but Im looking to bump it up to 42gr plus and see how it holds together

Comment

• Dummos
          Dummos commented
          Editing a comment
          Ive had decent results with the 140gr matchkings with 42gr 2209 with no pressure signs. The 139gr scenars still have no cratering or sticking at 43gr i need to get a chronny but at an educated guess from the drop they are doing close to 2900fps out of a 26" barrel

Did a bit more load development today @ Ripley. Its was windy & the target swings, but no excuses .
        Took my nephew for his first shoot & I think he'll be coming again

Name:	026.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	26903

http://youtu.be/lu4TW8bjL-M
        Tikka T3X 6XC
        Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
        Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
        Remington 788 - 222rem
        Browning Trombone .22

Comment

• Mack260rem
          Mack260rem commented
          Editing a comment
          not bad in the wind, every time I go to Ripley its windy grrr
          ,good to see the nephew enjoy his 1st shoot.

here are my last groups at ripley

unlucky with one, I just pulled it

Name:	060.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	26963

Name:	080.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	26964

Name:	061.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	26965

Name:	062.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	26966
        Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
        Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
        Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
        Ruger American .22wmr
        BSA SuperSport XL .22
        Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
        Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

Originally posted by Dummos" post=9715
          hey guys. since we lost a huge amount of valuable info on this growingly popular calibre in multiple threads i thought we could have one big thread as a reference to people thinking of getting one. post up your .260 rifles and what they like to eat. Load data and results.
          im currently still in development for 139gr lapua scenars so far best results have been ADI 2209 42.8grns seated .020" off the lands

so chuck em up boys, and lets show everyone how incredible this little cartridge really is

bottom 2 were sighting and had adjustments after. rest was a 10 shot group at 900yrds with no adjustments

forgot to bring the gong when looking for a clear spot to shoot so we just stuck a but of newspaper on the fence to have a crack at 1200m

still a ways to go but im in love with this round and cant wait to get out next.
          Hi Mate witch XLR Chassis is that
          been looking at getting one for mine when it shows up ?

And i just joined the .260 club as well

Comment

• Dummos
            Dummos commented
            Editing a comment
            It's the evolution stock with the "extreme" buttstock off the 50 bmg model inletted for savage short action with top bolt release 4.40 spacing

they're all good rounds.
          seeing as the only one readily available in loaded ammo is the 6.5, i'm guessing you'll reload, whatever one you pick?
          if thats the case, as a hunting round, it'll probably come down to the best gun at the best price, irrespective of calibre etc.
          in the field you wont pick much difference, except that "felt" recoil in the 6.5 may be a bit lower than the other two.
          but if you crank up the 6.5, they'll pretty much be identical.
          check out the specs on each. when looking at the 6.5 specs, remember that another 100fps on top of published figures is very easy.
          i own a 6.5, a friend owns a 7-08, and we cant tell the diff when hunting and using similar wieght projectiles.
          projectile type may be more important than cartridge in this instance.
          none will let you down.
          if i saw a good sako varmint in any one of those at a good price, i'd grab it.!
          you wont regret a sako.
          you can upgrade a scope later on when it suits.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah the way I look at it, they are all so similar, it is more a case of availability over any possible ballistic differences

A 140gr amax from either 6.5 would do nicely as a target and hunting round I reckon

you sold your 6.5 ?
          shame on you. :lol:

Comment

there is a nice custom 260 at Inverell firearms this bloke got it built for his bird she flew the coup he needed the cash so its siting there un fired give them a call on 0267221144

Comment

Here's my Tikka Lite in .260. Set up as a lightweight stalking rifle with Warne Medium Rings and Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Load 140gr Nosler Accubond with 41.0gr AR2209 at an OAL of 2.795 (due to Tikka mag). I think 140gr is where it is at for .260. Love the 6.5 mm projectiles.

Name:	056.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	31086

Comment

• Mack260rem
                Mack260rem commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like a great hunting set up you have there Oz

• Pitty
                Pitty commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Oziblue" post=15293
                Here's my Tikka Lite in .260. Set up as a lightweight stalking rifle with Warne Medium Rings and Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Load 140gr Nosler Accubond with 41.0gr AR2209 at an OAL of 2.795 (due to Tikka mag). I think 140gr is where it is at for .260. Love the 6.5 mm projectiles.
                Its not to hard to modify the mag, using a dremel & a nylon block.

Name:	001_2013-10-16.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	31373

Name:	003_2013-10-16.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	31374
                My 130gr VLD's are 2.980 = 20thou jump.
                Attached Files

Really interested in this calibre for my next rifle build. Have an action and stock sorted, but haven't decided on what calibre yet. Have narrowed it down to two options. .260 or the 6.5x47. Has anyone had any experience with the latter? Can't really find a bad word on the .260.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by RustySS" post=15297
                Really interested in this calibre for my next rifle build. Have an action and stock sorted, but haven't decided on what calibre yet. Have narrowed it down to two options. .260 or the 6.5x47. Has anyone had any experience with the latter? Can't really find a bad word on the .260.
                I don't have any experience with the .260R but have three rifles chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua.

When you look at the ballistics with a similar weight bullet like the 130gr they aren't much difference. If anything I would say the .260R is more suited to hunting and handles the 140gr better with the slight increase in powder capacity. The 6.5x47 Lapua is designed as speciality target calibre and the case made by Lapua with it's small primer usage is tuned for accuracy more so then the .260R. The 6.5x47 Lapua does not perform to it's best with 140gr bullets accuracy wise but is equally good with lighter weights for hunting. It may also have a slight edge when it comes to barrel life due to the difference in chamber design.

The 6.5x47 Lapua is quite capable of pushing a 130gr bullet out at better than 2,900 fps with mild loads in reasonable length barrels.

There are a few articles written around the Internet comparing the .260R, 6.5 Creedmore and 6.5x47 Lapua.

The only thing I have heard that may be a negative with the 6.5x47 Lapua is hunting in very sub zero conditions and the hint that the small rifle primer has the potential to not ignite the powder charge under those freezing conditions. Have not however heard of it happening in real life.

Have a look at Skippies Topic's on his Savage 6.5x47 Lapua, he is very impressed so far and hasn't completed his full load development yet.

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Rusty, here is a link to an interesting article on the subject:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

• Pitty
                Pitty commented
                Editing a comment

The one big advantage is its backing. Lapua are backing this round with factory match ammo! Remington have dropped the 260 cold.
                A plus for the 260 is brass, being spawned from the 308 its the same OAL.

Pics ASAP then rusty.

Comment

How does the 260 compare to a 243 at medium range about 300m-500m? I am looking at building a 260, it will probably be based on a Peirce action with ai chassis. I have a 204 and a 308 so I'm thinking a 260 will fill the gap nicely for a varmint rifle.

Comment

• Pitty
                  Pitty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Chooky the dog" post=18651
                  How does the 260 compare to a 243 at medium range about 300m-500m? I am looking at building a 260, it will probably be based on a Peirce action with ai chassis. I have a 204 and a 308 so I'm thinking a 260 will fill the gap nicely for a varmint rifle.
                  Varmint rifle shooting 120's, perfect. I love my 243, but the 260 just shoots.

• plinkingmad
                  plinkingmad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  the 260and the 6.5x55 sweed as well as the other 6.5s
                  being a 6.5mm has an exceptional bc therefore it is a great calibre. It will shoot 95g - 160g depending on barrel twist mine being a sako 85 has a 1in 9 so [email protected] is my limit Thats plenty for deer or dog at distance
                  as for a mid gun between 204 and 308 Well there is a vast hole to fill the 204 32g-50g the 260 95g-140g is close to the 308 with pill weight 308 110-200g max most 260s 140g max that leaves a hole 50g-95g to fill later on 220swift ,243 and 22-250 for that 3 suggestions that are time prooven rounds
              Working...
              X