Federal .308 130gr tactical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal .308 130gr tactical

Just got a box of these for my Howa sporter in .308.The guy at the range reckons they shoot really well, has anyone had any experience with this ammo?

iv used them in my 7600 but they didn't seem to shoot really well
    the cheap PPU 150gr shoots better in my gun

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I used a box of PPU to sight in the scope and break in the barrel.It shot well and any flyers were due to the shooter not the rifle I am sure
      First chance I get will go to the range and throw 20 rounds down range and see how I go.Might have to pick some more ammo though ( a couple of boxes of different brands) for comparison

They shoot ok, but lack some hitting power on larger pigs. fine for the average porker, just lack a bit on thick, mud encrusted old boys.....

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Originally posted by onikos70" post=9556
      Just got a box of these for my Howa sporter in .308.The guy at the range reckons they shoot really well, has anyone had any experience with this ammo?
      Yep. I won't feed my CZ750 anything but this stuff. Shoots brilliant groups (half the size of Winchester 150gn).

Edit- I should add, I normally shoot goats with this combination. Ranges of 300-500 metres. (Ridgeline to ridgeline work). It does the job nicely.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        [quote="Fireguard" post=9580]
        Originally posted by onikos70" post=9556
        Yep. I won't feed my CZ750 anything but this stuff. Shoots brilliant groups (half the size of Winchester 150gn).

Edit- I should add, I normally shoot goats with this combination. Ranges of 300-500 metres. (Ridgeline to ridgeline work). It does the job nicely.[/quote

It would be a great combination on Goats for sure. I have several hundred left, that are waiting for a nice goat cull trip.

I have shot many a goat and other light skinned animal with 130gn HP back in the day, and they are great for that. Just gotta pick your intended game target and choose appropriately.

Thanks,

Oddball

They shoot alright in a couple of my 308's and would be good for Goats but for anything like decent sized Pigs ect they are not much chop.

When I was out at the range the other day the LGS smith was there with a couple of rebuilt SLR's and M1A's (in M14 config) and while they ate every brand and type of 308 ammo they all had problems with the FedTac stuff (not that it's relevant to us being stuck with bolt actions and all).

Comment

As already mentioned, they are generally quite accurate and good quality.
        But must be used for the correct game. They are intended for people, so 'light skinned' game like small pigs, goats, wild dogs, small deer are the targets.

If large pigs, large deer etc are on the cards, a bonded projectile is required. Yes weight helps, but the weight isn't so much the point imo, rather the construction of the bullet.

Eg - a bonded 130gr bullet from a .270 is going to potentially be better than a poorly constructed 150gr cheap ass soft point from the .308.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by aus_Rob91" post=9618
          As already mentioned, they are generally quite accurate and good quality.
          But must be used for the correct game. They are intended for people, so 'light skinned' game like small pigs, goats, wild dogs, small deer are the targets.

If large pigs, large deer etc are on the cards, a bonded projectile is required. Yes weight helps, but the weight isn't so much the point imo, rather the construction of the bullet.

Eg - a bonded 130gr bullet from a .270 is going to potentially be better than a poorly constructed 150gr cheap ass soft point from the .308.
          Some good stuff in that! Well said aus Rob.

Lets call a spade a spade, the tactical reference is people......thats why it was firs sold as Raytrade Feral, Fix, then Federal Tactical, now it is reboxed again as something else (name escapes me).

Thanks,

Oddball

If you are chasing big pig with your rifle with 1:12 twist you should look at something like the Norma ammo with the 165 grain Swift A-Frame or the 180 grain Nosler Partition, Both of these work well on the biggest pigs you are likely to find and larger deer like red, rusa and samba.
        45/70 Government, The only government i trust

Comment

Onikos, congrats on the purchase of your rifle, sounds like a perfect deer and pig rifle to me. You should post up some pics of it.

I am gonna swim against the tide a bit here; Just about ANY 150g soft point bullet of conventional cup and core construction is perfect for even the biggest pig you will encounter. Bonded cores, partitions, all copper or tungsten enriched bullets are nice, but they aren't necessary. A 150g jacketed lead bullet hitting near the shoulder anywhere from 1800 to 2800fps on any pig and it is lights out.

How do I know this? I have used a plain old Mauser sporterised 308 on thousands of pigs, goats and even the odd deer since 1984, and 95% of the ammo used was plain old soft point 150g bullets. Interlocks, Pro Hunters, Hot Cors, Gamekings, Ballistic Tips, Highlands, Musgraves, Winchesters, Core lokts a few others. Generally whatever was cheap! These were mostly handloads, using Ar2206 then later 2206H and now 2208. Throughout that period I generally loaded the 150 grainers to a wimpy 2650fps and boy didn't they smack the pigs down!

To me you are on the ball with trying a few brands. See what the rifle shoots well and stick with it. The Federal Powershock seems about the best value for money to me at present. The 130g are ok if that's what you have but I think 150 grainers are the best weight in the 308 for the hogs.

Good luck!

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks bobnob.Yes I bought this rifle for pig hunting (now if only my work roster willl allow me enough days off to go on that hunting trip).My budget is limited so I want to find the cheapest ammo that suits my rifle. The Howa I've got is a "no frills" rifle and although I bought the packet of 130gr ammo , it's more for experimentation and practice really.The next ammo purchase would be 150 to 168 grainers and probably two or three different brands.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	26672

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I am gonna swim against the tide a bit here; Just about ANY 150g soft point bullet of conventional cup and core construction is perfect for even the biggest pig you will encounter.
            Hey Bob,

You must have missed when I posted this on the old site:

I must admit, I have never had a drama with any 150 grainer in 270, 7mm or 30 cal on pigs what so ever? but I certainly would not go lighter, in 30 cal any way.

• Shotgunner
            Shotgunner commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by bobnob" post=10042
            Throughout that period I generally loaded the 150 grainers to a wimpy 2650fps and boy didn't they smack the pigs down!!
            This is good validation for some thinking that I have done on how to manage the recoil in my 308. I've been using 130s at the moment but when I get round to hunting some big pigs I'm going to develop a light 150g load like the one you described. I've put it through a ballistics calculator and even a flat base bullet shoots shoots to about 2 inches high at 100 for a 200 yard zero. I'm not going to be shooting much beyond that range with my Tikka Hunter any time soon so I'd rather the lighter recoil and the longer barrel life.

I love em, so much infact that I got the projies and started to load my own recipe when they started getting scarce.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Cheers bob!!! I can't wait to take for a pig hunt . I'll be saving the brass and maybe down the track I'll reload ( not confident enough yet ). In the meantime I'll be taking it down to the range and keep practising

I have used them and they are pretty lethal. well they are a 308 in 130 grn I wouldnt consider them a surface splash round .I would have no problems using them on big pigs and deer but I reload hornady 150grn sst's they are bloody good mate .

Comment

Definitely shoots the tightest groups out of my T3 Hunter.
            Must be ok on pigs, our local LHPA uses them for pig culling out of the chopper. I might have a chat with one of the fella's and find out if they use them by choice and what they reckon.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks again guys for your time it really helps a lot . I am new to the sport so hearing from experienced shooters, is really invaluable (knowledge is power after all).

the following game, was got using those 130 feds.

Name:	fatfox.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	29267

Name:	fixedpig.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	29268

Name:	photo18.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	29269

Name:	photo2.JPG
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	29270

as you can see, they're more than versatile in the field.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Good shooting mate.The proof is there good enough for me.
              I just got speer varmint 130 HP pills they look like the ones on fed tac.
              Can't wait to try them.

I've been been using the federal tactical 130gr for about 2 years now. I mainly use these rounds for varminting usually at ranges that my 204 starts to struggle about 300m out to about 500 m .For a lighter projectile I have had good success, they are devastating foxes and rabbits and cats

Name:	image_2013-10-22.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	33929
            at long range.I haven't had the opportunity to chase pigs with them yet.
            Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              G'Day Fella's,

I'm pretty sure Federal, are loading the Speer 130grn HP in this ammo!
              I could tell you the reason for this but it's a bit to much for general public!!!

Doh!
              Homer

I don't believe penetration with these bullets will be a problem on big pigs and deer even with a thick coat of dry mud . I didn't believe it the first time I heard it being tossed around at the local gun shop . Think I will need to test their penetration with some plates of steel .maybe someone already has or might get a sooner opportunity than me . Throw us some pics up

Comment

• Bricktop
              Bricktop commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=19043
              I don't believe penetration with these bullets will be a problem on big pigs and deer even with a thick coat of dry mud . I didn't believe it the first time I heard it being tossed around at the local gun shop . Think I will need to test their penetration with some plates of steel .maybe someone already has or might get a sooner opportunity than me . Throw us some pics up
              Had a quick shot today at some 6mm mild steel with Fed.Tac 130gr and Remmy Core Lokt 150gr at 50 and 100m.

I don't think penetration will be a problem.

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	36527

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	36528

well to be honest, ...it was 80% from the 130gr of rip snortin' 308 federal tactical ammo.

there are also a couple of bite marks there from another pig that tried to eat it the next day.
            yep that's right,............feral pigs eat feral pigs.

Comment

Working...
            X