Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 700 what to do next ?

Hello

So I have a rem 700 sps varmint that iam using for 300m brench rest.

After some load testing today with different pills and powder loads.

Best I could get was 3 1/2 inches at 300m using lapua 167gr Molly coated projectiles.

All were neck sized and match preped cases with bullet just of the lands.

What's the next step to getting better groups.

Iam thinking of getting a custom built bench rest stock as it's only in the shitty non floated factory plastic stock.

Trigger has been adjusted down to 2lbs

Any help or suggestions will be taken on board.

Cameon

Cameron,

Definitely get yourself a better stock. The HS Precison stock that comes with the standard Rem700 tactical style rifles is a very good stock for use in most positions and does not cost the earth. Perhaps try one of them first?

Comment

What sort of improvement would I see from another stock?

Comment

• Harvey
        Harvey commented
        Editing a comment
        could try a bedding and stock stabilizing kit if you wanna do it on the cheap.
        http://www.ballisticstudies.com/shop/MatchGrade+Bedding+Products/MatchGrade+Synthetic+Stock+Stabilizer+Kit.html

You can see a vast improvement at distance with a new stock, the standard varmint stock still has a lot of flex and for longer range you need as much stability as you can get

Comment

I want a stock that has wide for end and will track in bags. So iam not wasting money on this plastics one.

Comment

• GD308
          GD308 commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you tried other projectile brands and weights?

what cal is your rifle?

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          308w

The standard SPS stock is not "Free Floating" and will turn any great shooting rifle into a shotgun. Replacing the stock is the first thing to do. Manners, Mc Millan or for what you want try the B&C Remington 700 BDL Varmint/Tactical, Short Action stock or Medalist. Replace the trigger with a Jewel as 2lb is too heavy. Have the action trued and a bigger recoil lug fitter. Twist rate v bullet weight is where you are going to have to do your homework, but you know this.

The list goes on and on

Doc

Comment

Bummer, if it had been a long action I have one of the stocks Adam was talking about laying around

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            What sort of dollars do the stocks of the police and upper models go for and has any one got one they may wish to part with.

31/2" at 300M is mighty good shooting, especially for a barrel that does not float. I would have thought that there would be vertical dispersion in your group. You must be very good at reading wind too.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Get a new stock and bed it would be my next step - you should see an immediate improvement. Also check the locking lugs for contact and lap them if they need it (it's quick and cheap to do). If you're still not happy with the accuracy I'd then look at a new barrel (which would be a good time to get the Smith
            to true the action)
        Working...
        X