First .223 Thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First .223 Thoughts please

So I sent dads A/B forms off a couple weeks ago, then I gotta get my Cat B (minors) then I'm all set so I want to get my first rifle (well registered on dads until I'm 1 and was wondering if anyone can give me insight on cleaning equipment scopes $200 budget on scopes thanks for any input. Links below (I don't live in a dodgy area so I won't need a really high end safe).

Possible Rifle : http://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/products/product/LITESSLH?category=JYEVMOTR&

Possible safe : http://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/Gladiator_Safes

No idea about scopes I know NS make decent ones ($90 NS scope can shoot tennis ball sized group at 50m on the Brno model 2 on a relies farm). Yes I'm a lefty :P
    Polish Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Radom 1952 manufacture
    Brno model 2 1974 manufacture

One word 'Timshel'.

I shoot left hand as well even though I am right hand dominant. Shooting is the only thing I do left hand style....who knows why. Tikka have an excellent range of left hand actions, far more than any manufacturer I think. I have a T3 Lite in .30-06 Springfield and a T3 Varmint in .204 Ruger....both are left hand actions. I have never used a .223 but I'm sure you will be happy with the Tikka.....very smooth bolt, accurate, a delight to shoot. Some people have a whinge about the stock, but it's just fine. You cannot go wrong with a Tikka.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

A 90 dollar scope won't cut it, either raise the budget so you can spend around 4-500 to get good glass or start with a howa so you can buy a Zeiss conquest or leupold vx3.

Rifle is no good have a optic that is as good as looking through mud, bad adjustments etc.

My advice if its the absolute budget

Howa 1500
      Zeiss 3-9x40 or vx3 3.5-10x40
      Warne rings

Great rifle an combo

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
        SmoothOperator_87 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by SmoothOperator_87" post=8738
        A 90 dollar scope won't cut it, either raise the budget so you can spend around 4-500 to get good glass or start with a howa so you can buy a Zeiss conquest or leupold vx3.

Rifle is no good have a optic that is as good as looking through mud, bad adjustments etc.

My advice if its the absolute budget

Howa 1500
        Zeiss 3-9x40 or vx3 3.5-10x40
        Warne rings

Great rifle an combo
        Just realised your a left hander so there goes that idea haha, but you get my point save more for glass, tikka is a great rifle

What about a Remington 700. You can customise it later on if you wish with a bazillion different parts that are available including aftermarket stocks etc.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a thought mate, instead of going new everything maybe buy a good second hand rifle that is set up with a scope and rings.

My first .223 was a second hand savage axis/edge I paid $300 for it with a cheap olivon scope, it shoots .5 moa all day long I still own it and it is my go to rifle for throwing in the back of the ute, I don't care if the rifle gets scratched no love will be lost.

I must admit it is very hard looking through the scope now after looking through better ones but I won't change it as I know I can still shoot well with it.

The money you will save now can go towards a better scope or rifle later on when you decide what you really want.

Just my 2 cents

I have a Tikka T-3 Lite in .223 and love it. It shoots half to 1 inch groups with cheap Hornady Steel Match ammo and the bolt is as smooth as silk. All that I have done to it is to add 300g of black powder pistol balls in a sock inside the stock so that it balances better, you can reseal the stock with silicone to stop water getting in, and I have added a $16 Pachmeyr rubber slip on recoil pad because the length of pull was too long for me.

Regarding optics, I concur with the other poster that you need to spend more than $90 but you don't need a VX-3. I have a Leupold VX-2 4-12 on mine and it is as clear as necessary during the day and at night,and the magnification fits well with the capabilities of a .223. The only thing I don't like is the adjustable objective lense which is unnecessary and a bit of a pain because it is something else to worry about - pay $50 less and get a scope without one of those.

By comparison I have a VX-1 4-12 on my .22 which cost me $400 and is a less clear image, particularly at close ranges and in very glary conditions. You don't need the Warne rings for a .223 though, the Tikka aluminum rings are fine for such a small caliber - mine has not lost a zero in the 500 or so rounds I have fired from it - so save your money and use them. The Warnes are important for calibers with more recoil, I have a set which I am going to be putting on my 308.

Also if you want to save $90 to afford the better scope, get the blued Tikka rather than the stainless. Mine is blued and the bluing is outstanding quality. Put it this way, I went on a trip earlier this year where it poured down with rain. My Tikka got wet so I dried it off, oiled it and put it back in the gun bag. I also took out my CZ 452 which didn't end up getting used, it just stayed in the bag in the truck. When I got home after two days I took the guns out for a thorough clean and the CZ had surface rust around the muzzle. In contrast the Tikka did not have a mark.

If you really can't stretch the budget enough to get a 4-12 in VX-2 then get a 3-9 rather than going for a lower quality 4-12 like a VX-1. The magnification will be adequate for most shots and you will get another gun down the track that the 3-9 is more suited for (like a 30, then you can get a new 4-12 for your .223.
      "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

• Zook60
        Zook60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Shotgunner" post=9119
        I have a Tikka T-3 Lite in .223 and love it. It shoots half to 1 inch groups with cheap Hornady Steel Match ammo and the bolt is as smooth as silk. All that I have done to it is to add 300g of black powder pistol balls in a sock inside the stock so that it balances better, you can reseal the stock with silicone to stop water getting in, and I have added a $16 Pachmeyr rubber slip on recoil pad because the length of pull was too long for me.

Regarding optics, I concur with the other poster that you need to spend more than $90 but you don't need a VX-3. I have a Leupold VX-2 4-12 on mine and it is as clear as necessary during the day and at night,and the magnification fits well with the capabilities of a .223. The only thing I don't like is the adjustable objective lense which is unnecessary and a bit of a pain because it is something else to worry about - pay $50 less and get a scope without one of those.

By comparison I have a VX-1 4-12 on my .22 which cost me $400 and is a less clear image, particularly at close ranges and in very glary conditions. You don't need the Warne rings for a .223 though, the Tikka aluminum rings are fine for such a small caliber - mine has not lost a zero in the 500 or so rounds I have fired from it - so save your money and use them. The Warnes are important for calibers with more recoil, I have a set which I am going to be putting on my 308.

Also if you want to save $90 to afford the better scope, get the blued Tikka rather than the stainless. Mine is blued and the bluing is outstanding quality. Put it this way, I went on a trip earlier this year where it poured down with rain. My Tikka got wet so I dried it off, oiled it and put it back in the gun bag. I also took out my CZ 452 which didn't end up getting used, it just stayed in the bag in the truck. When I got home after two days I took the guns out for a thorough clean and the CZ had surface rust around the muzzle. In contrast the Tikka did not have a mark.

If you really can't stretch the budget enough to get a 4-12 in VX-2 then get a 3-9 rather than going for a lower quality 4-12 like a VX-1. The magnification will be adequate for most shots and you will get another gun down the track that the 3-9 is more suited for (like a 30, then you can get a new 4-12 for your .223.
        Great advice here totally agree with all of it. I wouldn't buy another tikka stainless not worth the extra dollars and I have found that the blued are pretty good.
        Spend the extra on the scope. Use the standard rings. I just give all my guns a wipe with G96 after I use them. I don't have any stainless guns anymore.

Best budget scope would be the Nikon Pro staff solid clicks and turrets returnable to zero by just lifting the up and droping onto zero. Then maybe the Redfield Revolution.

Scopes: A mate long past once said rifle scopes are the same as breeding horses. "You put the best on top". He always added that you spend on top what you did underneath. So dont put a El Cheapo scope on a fine rifle as you are not getting the best out of the rifle and the cheap scope will possibly let you down.
      "As above so below"-an ancient text meaning as you think it shall be.
      "To be really happy and really safe one ought to have two or three hobbies and they should all be real".--Churchill.
      "Even when the world is at peace a gentleman still keeps a blade by his side"-- Sun Tzu....

Comment

Another bias Tikka owner - in 223 too

Some people spend more than the cost of a rifle, on a scope. I'm not one of those people - I'm a cheapskate when it comes to scopes. I've got a 3-9x40 Tasco World Class on my 223. I took it off another rifle I had and put it on the 223. Any larger than x40 and I'd need to buy ring risers or a set of rings with a higher mount height to enable the objective lens to fit, cause, as it is with the x40 objective it Just clears the barrel.

Sure, there are better scopes out there and many of those are well worth the money. But this one does me just fine and I've used them for years without problem. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, in which case my ignorance is bliss as I'm happy with the cheap and nasty scope I have

Comment

• SmoothOperator_87
          SmoothOperator_87 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah the tikka rings will suffice, I'm too use to reccomending scopes for target rifles these days, ie 30-34mm tubes. Don't need the warnes if you go a 40mm objective lense 25mm tube as the tikka comes with rings to suit

Hi Throwingbrick,

Great calibre of choice by the way, you will love it. When I purchased my Tikka Lite 204, I wanted to try and stick to a budget and while $200 isn't much for a scope you can pick up some second-hand bargins (Ebay specials) even if they are older scopes. One other scope to have a close look at are the Nikon Prostaff series. I have one on my 204 and it a great scope for the price (a little over $300). Good luck with everything.

Rob.

Comment

$90 scope.....

Look at the Sightron S1 3-9x40.
          If purchased from 4scopes.com you will purchase and have it shipped to your door for around $130.
          I owned one and it was a great scope for very little money,

JH

Comment

Another option if you wanted left handed is the Ruger 77 Hawkeye have a good range of left handed rifles priced for around the $1000 marks.
            Here is a link to the standard left hand model

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeStandardLeftHanded/models.html

Zastavsa also do left hand for around the $1000 mark

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianproduct/sporting-rifle-m70-lefthand

And i would agree with others and stay away from NS scopes for a centre fire. you will better off spending around the $500 mark and get better glass,But you could get something like Hawke or Vortex scopes for the $300 mark.
            45/70 Government, The only government i trust

Comment

While I would advise an expensive target scope (anything that zooms more than 10x) for clarity reasons, I have no problems with cheap hunting scopes. I have a $60 Arctic Fox fixed 6X on my .22LR that sees more in-field use than any of my other firearms and is more than enough for the job. Clear as crystal, no moving internal parts, so nothing that can go wrong. Lightweight and reliable. Accounted for more kills than any other firearm I own combined by a few 100.

Target scopes are a different breed. If you want to even see your target at 600m+, you'll need to at least spend as much coin as you spent on the rifle. If you want something with a good reticle that matches the turret adjustments, more $$.

Comment

I have a VX1 4X12X40 you can have. It has a small chip in the objective lens, but not noticable when looking though.
                I only replaced it for a bit more magnification!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131006_1032431_2013-10-06.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	26135

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131006_1027181.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	26136

Mark
                Tikka T3X 6XC
                Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
                Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
                Remington 788 - 222rem
                Browning Trombone .22

Comment

• fishphillott
                  fishphillott commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm going to go against the popular opinion
                  If it's your first rifle have you considered a second hand package to learn with

• Shotgunner
                  Shotgunner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Pitty" post=9519
                  I have a VX1 4X12X40 you can have. It has a small chip in the objective lens, but not noticable when looking though.
                  I only replaced it for a bit more magnification!

What a champ!

Mark
                  Attached Files

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good choice on the tikka. I purchased not that long ago a Nikon Prostaff BDC for one of my smaller calibre rifles and it works great. It cost me only around $250 from memory. But in saying that I did put good rings on it!! On all my tikkas I run leupold gear and have never had a fault!

2nd hand .223 Howa Stainless Varmint & Scope at Bankstown Gun Shop for $650.00 if that's any help to you with your budget.

Comment

Mate you're gonna have to go up on your budget for the scope, for around 500 you can get a Bushnell scope which is decent enough to last the rifle out. For 200 you're looking at something like a Tasco scope, though it doesn't come close to the Bushnell.
                  Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Ok so I agree with most of what has already been said.

but will also add the following - Savage Arms do some really good quality rifles and they do Left Hand stocks - at good prices
                    you need to increase your budget for your scope - I went with a Vortex Crossfire II for my 223 its beautiful glass but it was about $300
                    you may not need to spend quite that much but you will want to look at least $200

Next you want to think about what distance you want to shoot, and what weight projectiles you want to shoot - and what are you shooting at?
                    if your just target shooting - a 1:12 twist in the barrel will be fine,
                    if you want to hunt as well as shoot you might want to consider a 1:9 or a 1:7 twist this will allow you to shoot heavier projectiles which will be a bonus for hunting. (60gr+)

I didn't see your budget for the rifle but something like a Savage Axis 223L will set you back about $600
                    I would look at spending another $300-400 on a good scope+Rings & Mounts
                    that will get you started...
                    about 3 months later - you will want to change the stock go shopping for a boyds stock
                    and then you will have a great rifle without having broken the bank .....

This was the path that I had planned on going down... and then I found a good price on a Howa M1500 and I spent the extra money for the howa
                    (I weighed up the fact the savage was a 1:9 twist against the Howa 1:12 twist and decided I wasn't going to worry about shooting heavier than 55gr projectiles)
                    but I already own a BRNO ZK601 270 and a Springfield 30.06, as well as a Savage 22lr The 223 was my play toy.

Gunsafe:

Depends how much room you have to put the safe in ... but bigger is better.
                    I bought a 3gun safe... and found I couldn't fit the guns and all the Ammo in the safe
                    so I had to buy another one (I bought a 14gun safe this time round) now i have plenty of room for guns & Ammo
                    Rule of thumb nothing smaller than a 7gun safe ... you will wish you'd bought the bigger one quick enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X