9.3x62 in a Remington 7600, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.3x62 in a Remington 7600, is it possible?

Lately I have become fascinated by the 9.3x62 cartridge. looking at the similarities of a 35 Whelan, which is a factory Rem 7600 chambering, do you think it is feasible to undertake such a conversion, and run 30/06 mags?

I am of the positive opinion it is feasible.

Over to the crew to give me feedback, hopefully without the negative waves....

Thanks,

Oddball

Can't see why not, dimensions are so close, it would require bolt face modification also.

Comment

everything can be done for the right price just not going to be cheap i would think

Comment

With a Lumley adapter and a 9.3mm barrel it would be a very simple conversion.

The bolthead does not need to be changed - they are close enough to work in any of the 30/06 based 7600s.

Comment

• Yoshie
          Yoshie commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been loading 9.3x62 for a few years and I have noticed quite I bit of difference in head size from different brands of brass. The American stuff and Lapua is almost the same as 30.06 but highland is larger no way of fitting in a 30.06 shell holder. If I use a 9.3 shell holder with 30.06 head size cases it can damage the rim when extracting from the sizing die. Just my experience.

i have contemplated the same question for quite a while now yes one could convert a rem 7600 originally chambered in 30-06 into a 9.3x62 seeming it uses the same bolt face however i don't think the acton could take the added pressure of the 9.3 an i wouldn't want to be the one firing it when the action gives out

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas.

here are some pressure specs I found on the www.

308W SAAMI 62,000, CIP 60,000
          30-06 SAAMI 60,000, CIP 59,000
          35Whelan SAAMI 62,000, CIP 58,000
          9.3x62 SAAMI ? , CIP 57,000

Bolt face requires no modifications, and a Lumley Arms bracket is relatively inexpensive.

I guess, Bolt Thrust will be the issue I suspect. This is an area I know little about, so I defer to the forum again.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

But why is the question. You can already buy a 7600 in 35 whelen, Why add ?$600 for re-barrelling a standard 7600 to get a very mild increase in performance over a factory 35 whelen 7600? Do you hunt animals that don't fall over with the 35 Whelen (9x63mm, Remington Factory 250grain 2400fps) but only die when shot with a 9.3x62mm (Hornday Factory 286grain 2360fps)?

Here's a 7600 in 35 whelen for $1000, a pretty good price IMHO:
            http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=13908

Comment

on paper the cip looks the same but there is a big difference between them the recoil alone can tell ya that

Comment

• Shooting Sports
                Shooting Sports commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by ragonfand" post=8634
                on paper the cip looks the same but there is a big difference between them the recoil alone can tell ya that
                The difference in recoil is bugger all of none.
                Plus the loads are very similar in pressure/velocity/performance
                Comparing recoil figures is pointless when comparing Pressure figures
                A 12GA has more recoil than a .204 RUGER but is loaded to a lot less pressure.

Originally posted by Yoshie" post=8761
                I've been loading 9.3x62 for a few years and I have noticed quite I bit of difference in head size from different brands of brass. The American stuff and Lapua is almost the same as 30.06 but highland is larger no way of fitting in a 30.06 shell holder. If I use a 9.3 shell holder with 30.06 head size cases it can damage the rim when extracting from the sizing die. Just my experience.
                a 9.3x62mm rim should be..470 whereas a 30-06 is a .473 so if using 30-06 brass use the slightly bigger clearance 30-06 shell holder.

in the other thread you also write:
              Originally posted by Oddball" post=8179
              Sounds like a good idea. I have always been put off the 35 Whelan due to the price of ammo and components, this may give me an excuse.....

Oddball
              However the 9.2x63 is more expensive for factory or reloads with a reduced projectile choice. The 35 calibres are really expanding with their choices. I would think 9.3x62mm would be an excellent calibre in a mauser, the Zastava's are a great price and very solid.

Comment

• MrCarbine
                MrCarbine commented
                Editing a comment
                Change of barrel. No big deal.
                May have to adjust extractor (it would be minor adjustments if need be).
                Magazine will work fine.
                Go for it!!

In answer to some points brought up:

The calibre is something that intrigues me, and existing 7600 with an extra barrel would be where i would be heading as opposed to buying a 35 Whelan, then changeing it to a 9.3x62.

I guess I am not sure which way this project, may go. it may just be a hypothetical, or it may just give me answers and information to allow me to make a decision.

Why? Why not I say.

Sure there are probably cheaper bolt action alternates, but a Pump action in a Rem 7600 just makes me kinda want it.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Or you could just buy one of these. Looked at one a week ago, not bad.

http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/products/centrefire-rifles/verney-carron-impact-la-linear-reloading-rifle-clayton

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Jarrod Robertson" post=8943
                  Or you could just buy one of these. Looked at one a week ago, not bad.

http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/products/centrefire-rifles/verney-carron-impact-la-linear-reloading-rifle-clayton
                  Jarrod,
                  Interesting. But I figure, a Barrel, barrel block and smithing to suit will be a few bucks cheaper indeed.

Thanks,

Oddball

do it ..the 9.3 is way more potent than the .35 , a finer up the arse pig gun has yet to be invented

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by mungunya" post=8958
                  do it ..the 9.3 is way more potent than the .35 , a finer up the arse pig gun has yet to be invented
                  Its one way of looking at it....

Thanks,

Oddball

Raising this thread from the dead, but I've done a 7600 in 9.3x62. 24" TSE barrel #5 profile. Works fine but is a bit long due to being a pump action. Mag length is a bit restrictive for the long heavy bullets. Recoil isn't too bad with the extra weight compared to the previous 30-06 barrel. Follow up shots are as quick as I can get back on target. Flatter stock and open sights would help.

Comment

Pics
                  Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cerakoted black. Nikon 1-4.
                Working...
                X