Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington owners

Hi everyone,
    I've had the opportunity to pick up a Remington 700 in 308 at a ridiculously good price of $400, its just a sps with a standard stock and a leupold 2-7 compact(unsure of what model atm)

So I was wondering what are the must do mods and changes I should make? I'm thinking of turning it into my walk about hunting rifle at this stage. Currently I use a sporter 303 for the job

Cheers,
    Malarkey

Originally posted by Malarkey" post=8208
    Hi everyone,
    I've had the opportunity to pick up a Remington 700 in 308 at a ridiculously good price of $400, its just a sps with a standard stock and a leupold 2-7 compact(unsure of what model atm)

So I was wondering what are the must do mods and changes I should make? I'm thinking of turning it into my walk about hunting rifle at this stage. Currently I use a sporter 303 for the job

Cheers,
    Malarkey
    Malarkey,
    The biggest issue with a SPS is the flex in the stock, and the barrel channel, hitting the barrel, causing changes to barrel harmonics, and opening up group size.

To be honest you have scored a bargain, that cannot be argued.

Enjoy!

Oddball

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate, I was pretty excited when I was told it was mine. So something like a Boyd's stock should fix the big issue?

Sounds like you got a bargin for sure!

you could also look out for a 700P stock as they are quite good and don't suffer the flexing issue either.

My rifle would jam when loading more than 3 bullets at a time, turned out that i had to bend the spring properly and its spot on.

And while I was at it, I also filed down the little ears on the magazine follower so i could actually fit a full 5 rounds in it!

Good luck!

Comment

put ammo in it!

Comment

Nothing there GTG for hunting

When you use it more you will start to notice what its lacking in for your circumstance and thats when you upgrade : )

Ohhh and +1 to send it no better way of knowing your gun : )

Comment

The first thing I did to mine was have the trigger pull reduced. Pretty sure the factory pull was set at about a bazillion pounds.

Comment

I've heard the Remington safeties aren't real flash either so you may want to test it in a safe direction. I don't use mine anyway I just pull the bolt back so it can't fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Malarkey" post=8208
              Hi everyone,

Cheers,
              Malarkey
              Shoot it first and see how it goes as it maybe to your liking. Also what type of hunting are you planing to do with it.
              I see nothing, I hear nothing, I KNOW NOTHING !!!!

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                It will probably be used about 50/50 between a walk about rifle and shooting from the ute. My current sporter 303 does this job very well since it's pretty light and I don't get upset if I scratch it in the bush. But using a 308 for the job would be better as I already have the dies and cases etc to reload for it.
            Working...
            X