Desert Tactical Arms (DTAs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Tactical Arms (DTAs)

Wondering if we should kick something off dedicated to the DTA rifles - all versions, gens and cals. Snipers hide run a sticky for DTA but not sure if there is enough interest in oz.

Anyway here is my DTA SRS Gen 1 in 308. March glass 2.5- 25 x4. Pretty happy with it. Probably get a heavier duty cal if I find some open country to perch for deer hunting next year. Weighs in at about 6kg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DTA1small.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	22404

stickied it , we will see how it goes!

Comment

they are such a good looking rifle and by everything i read they shoot amazingly aswell.

i hope to be lucky enough to buy one in the next year or so

Comment

Excellent. One of these days id like to get a very similar package to the OP's rig. The only thing stopping me is cash
        Very much looking forward to see what everyone else has done with them
        Roses are red, mud is brown, Windows up, loud pedal down!

Comment

Birdmanoz I hate you.

Currently have one on back order. Ordered at 2013 Shot show, DTA have confirmed with me that there is a shipment to be despatched to Australia in 2 weeks time. Fingers crossed it finds it's way into my hands by the end of October.
          Ordered the DTA SRS A-1 in ODG/Black (Covert model) with monopod chambered in 6.5x47 lapua (standard barrel length)
          Wouldnt mind a 338 lap kit and a 308 kit to go with it, all in due time.
          It will sport my current Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 until funds permit to upgrade - possibly an ATACR.

Very exciting times indeed

Comment

• Birdmanoz
            Birdmanoz commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear the 6.5x47Lap is a great cal for this rifle for LR paper punching. Ballistics of the 300WM with the kick of a 30-30. I almost bought the 6.5 cal conversion kit but given I'm spending less time at the range and more time hunting (more like walking around a lot) the lighter cal would have been wasted. So my guess is the 300WM is next. If I find some really good open country I may go 338Lap.

The pics I've seen of the new A1 look good. Not sure how useful the cheek riser will be because the flat top rail with medium rings needs a very tight cheek position (for me anyway - different for everyone I guess). Raising the cheek would make things pretty cramped IMO.

I would love one they are such a unique design. The cost is a bit to much for me now but some time in the next few years I could pick one up.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            The up front charge is quite Hefty on the pocket. But when you've got one chassis system and one set of optics with interchangeable barrel, this thing will pay for itself.

Lol Seddo, great work.... fwuuuuuuuarrrrrk
          I think I just got a little firm in the underwear

Comment

they are such a good looking rifle....and almost like barbie for men with the barrel swaps

Comment

• PKFFW
              PKFFW commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd love one but until they make a left hand version it will have to remain a dream. Does not look comfortable or practical to shoot left handed.

A very versatile system, many choices of calibre make it appealing. Pity they don't have a factory option for a varmint calibre. I see Sedo has a 22-250, a 223 would be good if even possible.

The idea of purchasing one superior set of optics on a single platform vs having to purchase many scopes across all your rifles makes the DTA SRS a safe clean out system also. I could do away with quite a few rifles and replace them all in one system.

Comment

my 300WM jumps like a bitch, even with the break on, have to hold it down in the bag to keep it stable and to be able to reacquire the target in any reasonable time. I am going to try another break and see how that goes, The 338LM is a much nicer round to shoot.

Personally I am wanting several conversions I have the 308 on order, when I get a response from 510 RE: the 375 Sledge reamer I may get a couple of barrels of Seddo.

I am after
              223R/300BK from SAC
              6.5x47
              308 Subsonic 18-20" barrel
              300LM? (Debating as I already have 300WM)
              375 Sledge? (Debating as I am planning a HTI in 375 Cheytac)

Also saving to get an HTI, in 375 Cheytac, 416 Barrett and 50BMG, Also want to get my hands on a Kahles/DTA AMR reticule optic to try out.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Should hopefully, like Koray, have my DTA A1 in hand in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

The rifle will end up sporting a spare Nightforce I have sitting around. Atlas is ready to rock and roll along with a bunch of other extra bits and pieces.

I also hope to get some barrel extensions in the near future so that I can build my own barrels. Thinking a .338LM and a .375 Sledge is in order.

Does anyone use theirs for hunting. A mate had one of the gen 1 versions for a while and while it was cool it seemed too heavy for a hunting rifle to lug around all day.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't, but i dare say with a quality sling it shouldn't be too much of an issue as it is a very well balanced rifle. Yes it is heavy, but not fore-end heavy, this is thanks to the bullpup design (action behind the trigger). You're not relying on your forearm to hold the rifle, but just to balance it. Seddo and others can correct me if I'm wrong

I haven't been hunting in 7 years but i will be taking it on the trip we are planning for next year. Koray is right, its not front end heavy and balances quite well. If you wanted it to be lighter you could look at getting the covert hand guard and a custom light weight barrel for it. I have a TAB sling coming for mine but if you wanted to hike into somewhere you could get a biathlon sling or a backpack.

Comment

• Birdmanoz
                Birdmanoz commented
                Editing a comment
                I've taken mine fox hunting in open pastures and rolling hills but at 6kg I'm not sure how it would go in the high country or thick bush. I added a larue offset mount for a mini red dot for close up stuff and it works well. Nailed a rabbit from about 20 metres on the hop. No way the scope would have worked for that. 308 versus bunny - Let's just say it was a painless and quick ending.

It's well balanced but 6kg requires a certain kind of hunting.

Depends on the type of hunting your doing, if I am on a vehicle or shooting across the tray/bonnet from a fixed location I use it, else I use the Rem700 or Timberwolf

Comment

I got a DTA SRS in 308 cal and 338, damn good rifle Throw me Nightforce F1 on it and she is going good.
                Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Should have our rifles soon, or so I have been told
                  I will take the DTA hunting. What's 6kg? It's hunting, not a sewing club. When you shoot a big red, that's 300kg you need to haul back. Anyone complaining about 6kg is living in fantasy land hahaha

Don't mind me fellas, I just completed a spartan race today, lugged around sandbags and slabs of cement on chains up hills... For 2.5 hours... I'm feeling a little macho

Bring on the DTAs baby!!!

Just added a picture of my DTA.
                Attached Files
                Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

• Birdmanoz
                  Birdmanoz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jason Lefty - I like your DTA covert pic (you should try and embed image rather than attachment - its easier to see). Sort of looks like an MP5 with a can. How's it shoot past 500m? Do you lose much velocity apples for apples loads against longer barrels?

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Jason Lefty" post=11740
                  Just added a picture of my DTA.

Very nice indeed

Does the forend grip come in handy, has it had much field use?
              Working...
              X