Mossberg MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mossberg MVP

This thread is for the Mossberg MVP, if you have any pictures, thoughts, questions, experience etc please feel free to share/ask. I would expect more and more interest in these rifles as they become more readily available in Australia along with the other parts which have been affected the recent changes in customs rulings.

My MVP started life as a near new second handy, 24" barrel with the laminated bench rest stock. I had the barrel shortened to 18" and threaded for a Wilson Combat flash suppressor, then added a Magpul poly rail to the forend so I could attach various grips and a torch. It now wears a Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 Firedot TMR scope in medium PRW rings, which is nice but a little pricey for what it is but its very light and pretty handy for the 55gr FMJ. After trying a few different grips I've setteled on a Magpul XTM Hand Stop Kit, as it doesn't get hung up or catch on things when slung. As with everything its a work in progress and will probably change in the future, but it is a very versatile, light and fast little rifle and I love it!

Sorry if you've seen these on the old forum
    Accuracy is good, 1.5MOA rough average for cheapass Remington 55g FMJ and sub MOA for 50gr american eagle ar223 ballistic tips. Planning to try some 60gr loads when I finally get around to setting up my loading bench.
    Roses are red, mud is brown, Windows up, loud pedal down!

I was thinking of getting one of the telescoping stock versions. They are coming in at a good price, and i've got 5 mags for my 7615 so all i'll need is a scope.

Comment

After using both the 7615 and the MVP I think you'll find the MVP is considerably easier to shoot accurately and also still pretty fast. Not to down-play the usefulness of the 7615 or anything, still like them too

Comment

I have been using winchester 64gr Factory loads in the 7615, looking forward to testing them out of th Mossberg to see if they group ok.

Comment

The new ones coming in have a 1:9 twist. Whats the max projectile weight you can stabilise out of that? 64-69gr?

Comment

One thing to consider with bullet stability is that twist rate is not the only factor, its a major factor, but not the only one. Speaking from my experience a longer barrel with the same twist rate will stabilize heavier/longer projectiles in most cases. So if your into lobbing heavies you may want to consider the longer barrel option. Assuming you are using good quality ammo I would expect good results with projectiles in the 65-70gn zone to be the upper limit for a 1:9 24" barrel. Possibly around the 55-65gr range for my 18" 1:9 tube.

This is just my angle, not saying other people cant get good/better results with heavier rounds but that is what I would be expecting.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Only into weights up to 64 gr, if i need to chuck something heavier than that I'll take my 250 Savage.

I think the mvp flex might be the go for me, i like the collapseable stock idea for storage, I have already been told I am NOT getting a third safe.

Mossberg mvps have always been a 1:9 twist.... It's not just for the new ones.... Ill post some pics of mine soon.... Took it to the farm the other day.... Geco ammo was total shit.... The fmj almost went through the 10mm plate at 300m though....
            I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Theres something about shooting FMJ's that is just so... right! If I had the choice at the time I would have gone with the patrol I think, the flex isn't my cup of tea aesthetically, and generally If I'm not sold on the looks its not in my safe :lol:

Lookin forward to seeing some new pics super6one!

Comment

Here are some pics of the unusual bolt face on the MVP bolt.

As you can see there is a small spring loaded tab on the lower edge of the bolt face, this pushes the round from the magazine into the chamber on the forward stroke of the bolt and on the rearward movement shuts itself to enable it to move over the next round in the magazine without getting hung up on or damaging the round.

WHY RE-INVENT THE WHEEL?? BECAUSE:

As you can see in the above images the AR-15 mag feeds from both sides rather then changing from a double stack to single stack like many other magazines, and on top of this Mossberg issues these rifles with an anti tilt follower type magazine to ensure feeding reliability, this is why there are few other manually operated rifles that take these mags. Other manufacturers have over come this with the use of simpler solid feeders on the bolt face and less reliable, forward tilting followers in the standard magazines such as the Remington 7615, however this can cause misfeeds due to the unpredictable nature of a follower with a mind of its own... When used with an anti tilt follower magazine the bolt could damage the next round as it scrapes and dents its way back over the top, however most good quality magazines in reasonably good nice wont have sufficient spring pressure to enable such damage, making it much of a muchness really. If anyone has pictures of a 7615 bolt face it would be good to put them up for comparison.

It seems like a good design, I had my doubts regarding such a small spring on such a high movement part but its not let me down yet.

Comment

Such a nice rifle! I love the fact it takes AR mags, and the feed system shows some lateral thinking, I like that!

I may have to look further into these.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

I'm thinking about one of these, it will be between the 7615 and the patrol. I want to use it for IPSC standard manual competition as I want to ease up on using the SMLE. If I was to go for the patrol it would need to get some ghost sights fitted, has anyone tried this?

Comment

If it where me I'd just have a gunsmith drill and tap a threaded hole into the rear of the picatinny rail that the mvp patrol comes with
                      XS Sights makes some good quality low cost options. Then just remove the rear rifle iron sight and fit a dovetail blank to the hole left.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-accessories/649-threaded-ghost-ring-aperture-sku006000153-22927-48892.aspx

Comment

Here she is, no range report yet.....
                        I throw sub-moa rocks

Comment

I throw sub-moa rocks

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-10-08-4.jpg