.22 pumpies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22 pumpies

I saw some couple old rimfire pump-actions today at a local seller: a .22 LR Browning and .22 Mag (forget the make - might have been Winchester).
    They looked to be in good condition for being quite old - really light fast handling guns.
    Thinking they'd be a great spotlighting gun for bunnies.

What models are the ones to look for?
    Are there issues with any particular models?
    The owner said steer away from the older Remington model 12's for reliability.
    “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. . .”
    ― King David

Are you specifically after older ones?

I have used a Remington 572 a fair bit and never seen it have any issues. That said it would have been made over 15 years ago before Remingtons got their reputation for making crap. Not sure what the recent ones are like.

Comment

• stab
      stab commented
      Editing a comment
      Not spedifically after old ones - just that they are cheaper!
      The only new ones you can buy are the Remington fieldmaster and the Henry pump both of which are around 1K.
      Still don't know for sure - I'm saving for my first 9mm and getting distracted!

• Westy
      Westy commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Chris" post=34006
      Are you specifically after older ones?

I have used a Remington 572 a fair bit and never seen it have any issues. That said it would have been made over 15 years ago before Remingtons got their reputation for making crap. Not sure what the recent ones are like.
      Absolute Crap!!!!!!! I have always wanted one for over 35 yrs and finally bought one last year!!!! It holds the record for being bought on a Friday and sold by the next Friday!!Worst and I mean the worst piece of Shit I've ever owned!!!!Pieces fell off it and wouldn't cycle at all well and the accuracy was woeful, tried everything in the cupboard to make it shoot and it was just pure Crap!!!!Traded it for another Anschutz and never looked back but that's just my opinion!!!!!

.22 Pumps are great fun!
    My dad taught me to shoot on one when I was a kid, not sure what make and model as I was too young to pay attention to that stuff at the time.
    There are some really nice second hand Browning / FN Trombones showing up on Used Guns, usually around $600 - $900 ish if you can snap them up quick enough. Another one to look for is the Sportco Model 90, they take a detachable box magazine instead of the tube mag which is really cool. My brother owns one and it's a sweet little rifle. Winchester also made a bunch of pump action 22's over the years and I have seen them on Used Guns fairly often - have never used one but it's a Winchester so it's probably going to be a decent rifle.
    We use 43 muscles to frown,
    17 to smile,
    and 2 to pull a trigger.
    I'm lazy and I'm tired of smiling.

Comment

Some one needs to design a .22 pump with a detachable magazine.

Tube feeding kills it for me. :'(

Comment

• BlueBikesBlackGuns
        BlueBikesBlackGuns commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Jackboot_Johnny" post=34312
        Some one needs to design a .22 pump with a detachable magazine.

Tube feeding kills it for me. :'(
        Sportco model 90 as per post directly above yours

=D

I have acouple of pump 22s, great fun. 10 - 15 shots, fast, fairly straight shooter, but lots of fun.
      Sportco made the model 90a/93 22pump with detactable mag (http://www.sportco.org.au/models.htm) so did savage 1903 22 pump (http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Savage_1908_22_magazine_and_Patent.htm)BSA 22 pump also had a detactable mag. (http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_pump-action_repeating_rifle.htm)

I have guns which are 100 years old and they still shoot. (not always straight but they work...)
      loads of fun...
      Got it, Load it, shoot it..

Comment

I have a great little Browning Trombone .22 for sale. Surplus to my needs as I have another one. Very accurate and good fun...

It's located at Safari Firearms in Sydney for those interested.

Comment

I've got a Rossi. It hates non-copper jacketed ammo but otherwise it's a gem. If I bothered to take a photo it would look like this:

I picked it up for 200 bucks a couple of years ago. I'd have bought a dozen of them at that price but I had to be content with just one
          It's easily one of my favourite guns.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the old sportco pumpies

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Got mine for $140 from the Adelaide gun show

I think I stole it!!!

Thanks Stab, I will look forward to it.
            "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

OK I took the Henry Pump out to the range today. Its a pretty rifle and so light as I said earlier.

It appears that this gun is a few years old (4-5) - but its like its never been fired. Dealer said it was bought by an elderly gentleman who never got around to using it.
              This is model H003. The later ones are designated H003T - and are all octagon barrelled. Mine is round barrelled with a 15 round tubular magazine.

The Henry pump is very much based on the Henry H001 lever action .22. I haven't taken the action apart yet but you can tell that instead of the lever cycling it they have just re-engineered it and added a pump for-end. I cannot for the life of me find any info on the history of this gun though. I emailed Henry and didn't get a response. . The manual that came with it is the H001 manual (!) which shows how related they are.

The action is smooth - but not like a well used Browning Trombone which is silky smooth from memory. You have to be quite deliberate which you cycle it but it is a very short stroke - much shorter than a 7600. I might try lightening the hammer a little cause its the cocking the hammer that requires the effort . You can pump out rounds pretty quickly though which is cool. I didn't try to slam fire it. Guessing this will all free up with time. There is no dedicated hammer-block safety - just the good ol half-cock which I prefer anyway (no sexual puns intended).

Before I went I took off the fore-end just cause it felt like metal was scratching metal. What I found was interesting: the front of the for end is attached to a small metal ring that slides up and down the tube mag.

This shocked me a bit cause - not like on a Remmington 7600 where its has its own dedicated rollers and channel. There was some grit in there too so I cleaned it up and put some grease on the tube. This is something that will need to be monitored.

At the range we had a crack with the blade sights at 25 metres leaning on a pole. The trigger is pretty heavy but has a nice crisp break (feels like double-action revolver heavy compared to my lightened Marlin 39a). Might need a trigger job down the line.

You can see we needed to adjust the elevation. I'm no marksman but was pretty happy with the grouping given this isn't a target rifle.
              It would definitely be a capable small-game rifle with a compact low-mounted scope which I might try (any advice on scopes would be handy!).

All-in-all this is a cool little rifle. I beat everyone on used.guns and swagged if for $500 delivered which was really good value for money. But the H003T with octagon barrel is going for $1050 at my LGS. Ouch. For that money I'd definitely consider the only other pump-action .22 on the market at the moment - the Remington 572 - which is more of a modern long-barrelled hunting rifle. But it all depends how much you fall in love with the amazing walnut stock
              “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. . .”
              ― King David

Comment

I took my Sportco 90 to the range for the first time, had a few (Maybe ten to 15 rounds out of ~150ish) misfires on the federal 40gr ammo, opened it up and had a geeze at the hammer and the firing pin and the pin is worn on one side and the hammer was all knurled out, probably from many, many years of being pre-loved. I Gave it a little grind with a sharpening stone and squared it up again so heres hoping that fixes the problem. If not I may have to get the firing pin extended with a bit of weld or something. Before shooting it I had wanted to build up a sweet tactical rail forend and pistol grip stock and get a Trijicon dot or something similar but now I kind of just want to get a new or restored presentation timber stock and just leave it alone, maybe blast and cerokote it so it stays nice forever and just continue to love it! PM me if you have a nice set of timber to trade/buy - also I have an adapter/buffer/stock/magpul pistol grip that I've customized to fit the sportco that I'm on the fence about now so let me know if your interested chaps.
                Roses are red, mud is brown, Windows up, loud pedal down!

Comment

My little 22 pumpie is a BSA. Never seen another like it. Not a common rifle at all. . She's old but cycles and shoots great. Deal with the canetoads no problems on the farm.
                  Failure is not falling down, failure is not being pushed down, failure is choosing to stay down.

Comment

Not a great photo Folks but quite precious to me, not for the fact that it was my first Goat, but that it is 1 of 2 photo's I have of Dads 1906 manufacture M62 Winchester. It was presented to me for my 15th Birthday. This little Pump Action feed Dads Family throughout the 30's and 40's. Dads job was to head shoot Ducks on the Dam, then his Uncle would open up with a Greener 12 gauge when the Ducks took to the Air.

I managed to get Dad to agree to come Hunting down Tenterfield way when I was 17. We where walking down a Gully , it was Dads shot. A Rabbit broke cover and left to right at about 35 yards, Dad shot from the Hip and Killed the Rabbit - Bullshit Dad ! He just smiled at me

A bit latter on walking up the same Gully another Rabbit broke cover and ran across us right to left. at a similar Range he shot from the Hip again and nailed another Rabbit - just AMAZING.. That was the Day a young Fella realised that the silly old Bastard was not as silly and full of shit as I thought :P . It was the only Hunt Dad and I ever went on. He's still kicking.

10 Years later I was burgled and the Arseholes stole Dads precious M62 Winchester. I lost a precious Family Heirloom. I took it on plenty of Hunt's, it was a Take Down Model and stashed easy for traveling. I shot plenty of Game with it. I did not own a Camera and have very few photo's from those Days. I never did try to replace that Rifle as any other M62 Winchester would not have been Dads

regards Jacko

Comment

• THUNDERBEARD
                      THUNDERBEARD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by Jacko.357" post=64297

Not a great photo Folks but quite precious to me, not for the fact that it was my first Goat, but that it is 1 of 2 photo's I have of Dads 1906 manufacture M62 Winchester. It was presented to me for my 15th Birthday. This little Pump Action feed Dads Family throughout the 30's and 40's. Dads job was to head shoot Ducks on the Dam, then his Uncle would open up with a Greener 12 gauge when the Ducks took to the Air.

I managed to get Dad to agree to come Hunting down Tenterfield way when I was 17. We where walking down a Gully , it was Dads shot. A Rabbit broke cover and left to right at about 35 yards, Dad shot from the Hip and Killed the Rabbit - Bullshit Dad ! He just smiled at me

A bit latter on walking up the same Gully another Rabbit broke cover and ran across us right to left. at a similar Range he shot from the Hip again and nailed another Rabbit - just AMAZING.. That was the Day a young Fella realised that the silly old Bastard was not as silly and full of shit as I thought :P . It was the only Hunt Dad and I ever went on. He's still kicking.

10 Years later I was burgled and the Arseholes stole Dads precious M62 Winchester. I lost a precious Family Heirloom. I took it on plenty of Hunt's, it was a Take Down Model and stashed easy for traveling. I shot plenty of Game with it. I did not own a Camera and have very few photo's from those Days. I never did try to replace that Rifle as any other M62 Winchester would not have been Dads

regards Jacko
                      i feel like i should buy you a beer or something! Damn dude, i hate to think what became of it. My sincerest condolences

hi there
                    I have 2 sportco 90's that I am going to sell. they both have minor issues. One has an irregular failure to eject and the other has a weak spring in the mag release that causes the mag to move forward and jam both should be easy to fix. I do have the new parts to fix the failure to eject and know a source for parts to fix mag realease. I am wanting $350 3ach for them plus postage and dealer costs. I will be putting up and ad classifieds soon.
                    I also 3x 20 round mags @ $150 ea. and a 10 round for $80
                    If you are interested please email me [email protected]
                    serial numbers for the rifles are N064 & N2463
                    licence number is 256660N
                    rodney parkes

regards
                    rodney

Comment

Sportco update! looking swanky in the new stock, love the classic lines and deep colored timber. happy days

ALL HAIL CHRISPY
                      Roses are red, mud is brown, Windows up, loud pedal down!

Comment

• Tinker
                        Tinker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Woah where did you get the nice wood!!!!
                    Working...
                    X