Behold; The awesome 45-70.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behold; The awesome 45-70.

About time we kicked off a 45-70 thread. This is the pinnacle of lever action technology; and 140 years old at that!

300 grainers at 2250fps, easy done even in an 18 inch barrel. 400s at 1850, too easy!

Nothing knocks hogs down like it short of the big magnums. Get one...

even 500 gn

cheers Bobnob just done some editing,,

Comment

• bobnob
      bobnob commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Damo" post=6183
      even 500 gn
      Ooh yeah!

Good one Damo.

I was only thinking of getting a 45/70 Lever but now I have to get one and it's all your fault :lol: :lol:

Antz

Comment

• sirus17
      sirus17 commented
      Editing a comment
      that is pretty hot!

This is my set up, tang sights for the range, low power scope should I ever have the chance to use it in anger...

Two of a few different I cast, A Ranch Dog 365g GC and the Ranch Dog 440 g GC.

And some Hornady JHP I was playing with...

Gotta love the 45/70 :lol:
    Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Are those copper coloured pills some new sort of projectile?
      me I still use good old lead.
      Can't get anywhere near the velocity your quoting, even with a case full of FFg about 1350fps pulls my loads up with a 350gr
      Still most game it gets pointed at fall over.

• moofy07
      moofy07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Aussie Rich" post=6210
      This is my set up, tang sights for the range, low power scope should I ever have the chance to use it in anger...

Two of a few different I cast, A Ranch Dog 365g GC and the Ranch Dog 440 g GC.

And some Hornady JHP I was playing with...

Gotta love the 45/70 :lol:
      Nice one Aussie Rich, haven't seen you since I was last on the Marlin Owners website.

I have to say the opposite in my 1895. 2207 is good for winding them up, and Trail Boss has worked really well for me in the low vel stuff.

Just a couple of old fashioned 45/70 pills for you 220 Lee 405 g hollow base.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2240-Copy.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	23672

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Aussie Rich" post=6819
      I have to say the opposite in my 1895. 2207 is good for winding them up, and Trail Boss has worked really well for me in the low vel stuff.
      Have you tried the 2207 for reduced loads, I went with TB for the low stuff as well originally but a switch to 07 saw group sizes halve. No other changes apart from a switch in powder, I couldn't get better than 4" groups at 100y with trailboss, the worst groups with the 2207 were better than this and it will shoot 2" groups with the best of them.

Indio
      How do you find the buttons on bunnies? I've shot a few with my reduced loads at around 1400fps with a 350gr and headshots are needed even for dog tucker.
      They don't get blown apart like a 40gr at 4000fps+ does, more like someone has hit them with a 14lb sledge hammer.

The old rounds shade this modern stuff by a great deal; L to R, 38/55, 40/65, 45/70, 50/70, 58/92 and 22Hornet

This group shot a SSAA Belmont at 100m using aperature sights on an 1874 Sharps, 66gn Wano 2P and a 545g cast projectile

Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

375grn hollow point cast .. wet pack testing, impact velocity @ 1400fps and 1000fps

Comment

And while the 500grn + pills can be a lot of fun at the other end of the 45-70 spectrum.... 145grn cast "collar button" projectiles.. Just the thing for upsetting the easter bunny

Comment

Hey 220

I have tried reduced loads in 2207 and only got it to work in the heavy bullets, see the group below with the lee 3r 500g, other wise for the smaller bullets 350 - 365 I have found for the reduced loads Trail Boss does the trick.
          Actually that group with the 500g was quite funny. Just before the first shot I was freaking out a bit, it was 'omg the mighty 500g bullet is going to hurt like like hell' and I was carrying on like a sissy, ready for ball tearing, hell recoil... and then I fired and though this was less than my 12g, so I calmed down and focused on the next four shot and got the group you see.

Name:	IMG_2571.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	24305

Some Trail Boss groups.

Name:	IMG_2246.JPG
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	24306

Name:	westcast350trailboss16.0.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	24307

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	24308

Hey Moofy good to see you made it to the new world, I still go over to MO a bit but I would like to support my new local forum.

Cheers Mate

Rich

Comment

My 1895GBL loves 56g of 2207 with the Sierra 300g HP. This 5 shot group at 50 metres over the bonnet of the ute...

Doing about 2250fps and about 4g below ADI's book max in the 18 inch barrel.

Comment

• moofy07
              moofy07 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by bobnob" post=7536
              My 1895GBL loves 56g of 2207 with the Sierra 300g HP. This 5 shot group at 50 metres over the bonnet of the ute...

Doing about 2250fps and about 4g below ADI's book max in the 18 inch barrel.
              Hi Bobnob,
              The 2207 works for me in the lighter bullets (300-405gr) but I really like 2219 for the heavy stuff (460-570gr).
              I have played around with Trailboss to it's great for the 300gr bullets, you can shoot them all day. What my GBL loves is the older Ranchdog bullets in 350 and 460grs (they are a special 6 cavity Lee mold) and work a treat.

Because of you blokes and this thread I had to get my old pumpkin roller out and smack the gumtree at the end of my fenceline with a few Winchester factory rounds, just to prove I still can.

Nothing fancy like you blokes, just an old early 80's vintage straight stock 1895 with an AO peep set on it.

Comment

• moofy07
              moofy07 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Johno250" post=10569
              Because of you blokes and this thread I had to get my old pumpkin roller out and smack the gumtree at the end of my fenceline with a few Winchester factory rounds, just to prove I still can.

Nothing fancy like you blokes, just an old early 80's vintage straight stock 1895 with an AO peep set on it.
              there's nothing wrong with the EARLY Marlins.

Of course the "old girl" deserves black powder, cast bullets and an 1874 Sharps as it was designed for!

Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

• moofy07
              moofy07 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace" post=10577
              Of course the "old girl" deserves black powder, cast bullets and an 1874 Sharps as it was designed for!

Hi BAW,
              You've got a beautiful collection of Sharps there mate. That scope on the bottom one looks great.

Geez I thought my 30/30 marlin was bad enough.
            Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

OK, so this thread made me do what I've wanted to for years, and put in a PTA for a 45-70. As has always been my experience of QLD WLB, it's come back in under a week. I'll pick up a 2009 JM stamped classic 18.5" Guide Gun next weekend.
              Now I wonder should I have the rifle ported or get a muzzle brake? Or leave it as it is (it comes with a Pachmayr Old English recoil pad which isn't yet fitted to the stock)?
              And bobnob has made me spend even more money which I don't have, because I guess that this acquisition will be the spur to reload. I use factory ammo in my 30-30s.

Comment

• moofy07
                moofy07 commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by canetoadhunter" post=12434
                OK, so this thread made me do what I've wanted to for years, and put in a PTA for a 45-70. As has always been my experience of QLD WLB, it's come back in under a week. I'll pick up a 2009 JM stamped classic 18.5" Guide Gun next weekend.
                Now I wonder should I have the rifle ported or get a muzzle brake? Or leave it as it is (it comes with a Pachmayr Old English recoil pad which isn't yet fitted to the stock)?
                And bobnob has made me spend even more money which I don't have, because I guess that this acquisition will be the spur to reload. I use factory ammo in my 30-30s.
                Hi CTH,
                Welcome to the real world of the 45-70. I wouldn't worry about porting the barrel, you probably won't need the extreme loads very often.
                Your gonna have a ball with your new Marlin and yes I would load if I was you other wise it may get expensive..

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Guide or scrub gun 45-70s are meant to be shot off-hand, so felt recoil isn't nearly so bad compared to bench work.

Of course, load development can be a bit painful, but that's the price you pay!

If you plan to put a scope on your new rifle, just be careful of a standard eye relief unit (3.5-4") . There's a very high probability you'll wind up bleeding all over the place.

To keep your eyebrows in place, go for light loads, stay with open sights or fit a long eye relief (scout) scope.

Benn

• bobnob
                bobnob commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by canetoadhunter" post=12434
                I guess that this acquisition will be the spur to reload. I use factory ammo in my 30-30s.
                CTH, definitely reload mate. The 45-70 is very very easy to reload for and your reloads will be a lot more powerful and much much cheaper. Plus you can easily tailor them to be mild or heavy on either end.

I have found it very easy in the Marlin to come up with accurate loads too. Because of the need to crimp and put the bullet at a prescribed oal, there's no stuffing around with seating depth to confuse you. Its a cinch.

Just grab some Ar2207, 2219 or even 2206h and some standard LR primers and you're set with whatever bullet weight in either jacketed or lead.

- Bob

Hey guys, a friend and I are planning a safari next year, (water buffalo being the key target) and I was wondering is a 45-70 in a marlin powerful enough/the right tool to drop a buff??? Range won't be an issue as I plan on getting very close, hopefully get a charge or two....

Would you have 100% condifence in the 45-70 to drop a charging buff at close range???
              I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

• bobnob
                bobnob commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Super6one" post=14970
                Hey guys, a friend and I are planning a safari next year, (water buffalo being the key target) and I was wondering is a 45-70 in a marlin powerful enough/the right tool to drop a buff??? Range won't be an issue as I plan on getting very close, hopefully get a charge or two....

Would you have 100% condifence in the 45-70 to drop a charging buff at close range???
                Well I haven't been buff hunting however I don't think you could ever be 100% no matter what firearm you held.

What I do know is that at close range the 45-70 will deliver a 500g bullet near 1500fps. If that's put in the right spot it will kill anything.

Obviously you would ideally stalk to within 70y or so and put a well placed strong bullet through the engine room. I would have thought a 400g Barnes or a good 500g hard cast would be the business but more experienced buff hunters than I will be able to help with your enquiry.

I'll be taking my 45-70 after buffalo when I get there.
            Working...
            X