The new love of my life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new love of my life!

It's been a big gap between drinks for me.
    Most of my shooting for the last few years have been work related, then when I wanted to do some shooting in my own time, I was either way too short of time, or a professional vagrant of no fixed address.

But after a 10 month wait, I finally received my shiny new firearms license and toddled off to buy a dream rifle.
    Behold:

Specs for those interested.
    Marlin 336W (base or "budget" model, but for that, it's a non-blued, non-rust finish until I can get it cerakoted) in .30-30.
    - XS Sight systems Ghost ring sights (peepsight)
    - XS Sight Systems Scout optics rail
    - Aimpoint T1 micro red dot
    - Wild West Guns Laser Rail - so I can put my Surefire X300 weapon light onto
    - Blue Force Gear Padded VTAC sling - adjustable 2-point side mounted to hang better. It's got a BFG Universal Wire Loop on the front end, I had a gunsmith inlet a tunnel under the front barrel band to allow side mounting.

There's only a few more small things I need to do:
    - cerakote the weapon, in something like green or tan
    - install a cartridge trap on the butt for extra ammunition onboard. I've been looking at those butt-stock cartridge loops, and they just don't impress me. So I'm playing with an idea of using another rifle's detachable box magazine, inletting the stock and installing the mag upside down to access rounds when reloading the rifle.
    And last, but not least I need to do with this rifle: shoot the p!ss out of it to get used to it, and make it an extension of my arm!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Forward!
    Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Further to my last, I forgot to give credit where it's due for the setup of my new boomstick.

Since I'd be broke as a tradie, and really lack appropriate tools at the moment, I called Lee from Trentech Engineering.

Lee is a bloody good bloke, and did fantastic work!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Forward!

Comment

• MekB18
      MekB18 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree 22F, I'm happy with all the work Lee has done for me as well.

I did actually see your Marlin at his workshop (can't imagine he gets to many in) when I was dropping of my rifle and it looked nice. I have a Henry Big Boy myself with an Aimpoint Micro (just waiting for the Henry scope mount to arrive).

If you are still to cerakote your lever-action and need the contact details for a good local (Brisbane) company with reasonable short turnaround time PM me. My brother had his Rossi lever-action cerakoted there.

MekB18

Sounds like a nice little buildup.

Is the Marlin a brand newy, i.e remlin? Is your gunsmith going to tune it to make sure it functions properly?

Comment

Looks good. Why not use the QR sling points? Is there a benefit with that type of sling you have used? Seems at face value to be more complicated than just using the provided QR sling points?
      I feel these new laminated stocks look very good. Despite all the internet talk I have shot one and function was flawless (albeit only one in and 30-30 only).

Comment

TheOtherLeft:
        Thanks mate.
        She's a brand new Remlin, so I'm monitoring it for quality.
        Hence, I'm thinking of putting a thousand rounds through first to determine reliability first, before I have any more work done. That alone should smooth her out a fair bit.

Break, out to you.

Newstead:
        I went for a side mount sling for a couple of reasons. I like the ergonomics, having spent a fair bit of my time as a younger bloke with an F88 rifle slung across my chest "Panzer Grenadier"-style when I was in the Reserve.

Plus, I'm just not a fan of conventional slings mounted on the bottom of the gat, and I just wanted something different.
        Forward!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like a good functional gun, not overly 'pretty' in the conventional finishing but nice all the same.

Let us know how you get on

Originally posted by 22F" post=5478
        It's been a big gap between drinks for me.
        Most of my shooting for the last few years have been work related, then when I wanted to do some shooting in my own time, I was either way too short of time, or a professional vagrant of no fixed address.

But after a 10 month wait, I finally received my shiny new firearms license and toddled off to buy a dream rifle.
        Behold:

Specs for those interested.
        Marlin 336W (base or "budget" model, but for that, it's a non-blued, non-rust finish until I can get it cerakoted) in .30-30.
        - XS Sight systems Ghost ring sights (peepsight)
        - XS Sight Systems Scout optics rail
        - Aimpoint T1 micro red dot
        - Wild West Guns Laser Rail - so I can put my Surefire X300 weapon light onto
        - Blue Force Gear Padded VTAC sling - adjustable 2-point side mounted to hang better. It's got a BFG Universal Wire Loop on the front end, I had a gunsmith inlet a tunnel under the front barrel band to allow side mounting.

There's only a few more small things I need to do:
        - cerakote the weapon, in something like green or tan
        - install a cartridge trap on the butt for extra ammunition onboard. I've been looking at those butt-stock cartridge loops, and they just don't impress me. So I'm playing with an idea of using another rifle's detachable box magazine, inletting the stock and installing the mag upside down to access rounds when reloading the rifle.
        And last, but not least I need to do with this rifle: shoot the p!ss out of it to get used to it, and make it an extension of my arm!
        Welcome to the fold of 45-70 owners. Your going to love yours. :P I didn't read the 30-30 part.
        45-70 Government. The only Government I trust........................Period.

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Only one thing Moofy: I went for the kiddy calibre, rather than an "adult" round like .45-70 mate
          Forward!

Comment

• moofy07
            moofy07 commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by 22F" post=7190

Only one thing Moofy: I went for the kiddy calibre, rather than an "adult" round like .45-70 mate
            yeah, I finally saw that.

Beutiful Marlin

Well done mate, I hope you drop a pig or two.

Mine loves the Leverevolution ammo.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 22F" post=5478
            Wise words indeed.
            Most think that having the most accurate rifle and the best scope will make up for the skill shortage. Not true, only trigger time gives you the skill. Nice kit btw.
            If you're going through hell, keep going."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks mate
              I learnt during my service that basic skills and kit used correctly before advancing onto the more complicated stuff.

For my firearms, I like simple, easy to use accessories that enhance my ability to use the weapon rather than hinder me.

Accuracy is another thing. It's fine to have an accurate weapon, but that accuracy needs to be balanced by serviceability, reliability and repeatability. To me, an accurate rifle that produces one single hole is great, but no good to me at all when it won't function out scrub with the first introduction of dirt, mud and water and all the other fun things found in a field envnironment.
              Forward!

Comment

• MrCarbine
                MrCarbine commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by 22F" post=9273
                Accuracy is another thing. It's fine to have an accurate weapon, but that accuracy needs to be balanced by serviceability, reliability and repeatability. To me, an accurate rifle that produces one single hole is great, but no good to me at all when it won't function out scrub with the first introduction of dirt, mud and water and all the other fun things found in a field envnironment.
                LOL spoken like a true Grunt. :lol: :lol:
                When I got out of the service I refused to use anything but pip sights (that's what we had on the SLR). I soon discovered otherwise. Don't worry too much about dirt, mud and water. Now that you are paying for your equipment, you will be avoiding that staff like the plague. Good on'ya digger have fun.

Looks great ,where did you get the laser rail from

Comment

Looks great, 22F!

Looking forward to a range report...
                Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

That's a nice little set up mate, gratz.
                  Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Hoppy, the rail came from Wild West Guns, found here:
                    http://www.wildwestguns.com/gun-parts/

Unfortunately, they don't export to Australia. I had an old American friend get me one the last time I went over to the US for SHOT Show this year.

Range report, um yeah....
                    Since I'm that out of practice, I made the target look like I was patterning a shotgun, it might wait awhile until I get some practice in, and convince myself I'm not shooting a bullpup anymore :P
                    Forward!

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      G'Day Fella's,

22F, I know what you mean, here is one of mine!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1892.45Colt012.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	28770
                      This is a new Winchester 1892 "Davidson Limited Series" in .45Colt!
                      I was sighting it in on this occasion, and when I finally got the 300grain bullet to hit the aiming patch, I stopped!

Doh!
                      Homer

Thanks Mek!
                    'Tis a small world then

I absolutely love the Aimpoint, I'm sure you will too!
                    Forward!

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by 22F" post=12550
                      I absolutely love the Aimpoint, I'm sure you will too!
                      Mate i have a similar set up ... Marlin 336 SS 30-30 with Aimpoint Comp 3 on it.
                      Its never let me down and keeps on working in rain,dust and dirt.
                      Never had a feeding issue or any issue with it.
                      Id have to be on the 1500 round mark by now.

Good to see another Lever/Aimpoint user
                  Working...
                  X