Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30-30 for Service/LA Silhouette - Marlin or Rossi

Hi guys,

I want to get a 30-30 for Service Rifle/Lever Action Silhouette/ Single Action Side Matches target shooting. I don't do any hunting.

My short list is the Marlin 336 or Rossi Rio Grande. I understand the Rossi is a copy of the Marlin and looks essentially the same with pistol grip but no checkering. The Rossi is about $150 cheaper and also comes with a sight rail for scope mounting (not that I'll need it for target but maybe later on). The Rossi also has a slimmer forearm.

I've read Remlin quality has improved leaps and bounds recently it might be worth a gamble.

I've looked at the Win 94 but not a fan of the action and it's "guts" levering down when you cycle it.

I do have a Uberti 1873 I use for Cowboy Action so have experience with levers.

I have tried a mate's Marlin 1894 in .44 but the action felt "clunky" as you cycled it. When I tried a Rossi in .38 at my LGS the action felt smoother then the Marlin. Would this "clunkyness" be the same with the 30-30?

Thanks.

My Rossi Rio Grande is a piece of junk, having begun its life with failure to fire issues which progressed to failure- to- feed. I was seduced by the magazine report years ago, when they came out and the lower price compared to Marlin.
    If you go to http://www.marlinowners.com/forum you can read all about what still goes wrong with Remington/Marlin. There is even a section for Non Marlin Leverguns if you go down the page far enough.
    As far as I am concerned, all the brands except Browning, are a lottery. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Comment

The wood on the Rossi is butt ugly, cheap looking shit. I'm not all about appearances but those guns annoy me to look at and I would (and did) pay the extra to avoid owning one.
      "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

What about a used one? Make sure you have a good look before you part with your cash. You can check serial numbers on the net to see what year they were made. I have I Browning B92 44mag and is is the best lever I have ever held. I also have a marlin 444 and it's quite good, it was made in 82 and the quality is heaps better than current production. A 94 will always be clunky, just the way the action works. There are good ones and bad ones.

Comment

Working...
        X