Inexplicable rust on marlin 336! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexplicable rust on marlin 336! Help!

G'day all,
    I'm writing this as a call for help to all marlin 336 owners. I've had my 336 for around two or 3 years now, it's an older model before the cross-bolt safety and when I bought it secondhand, it still had remnants of the factory grease on it. The thing has hardly been used, and I take it pig shooting every now and again, but it still doesn't see heaps of use.
    The problem I have is that it's starting to develop a fine surface rust. This gun has always been kept impeccably clean and I live in a very dry northern part of Vic.
    My safe is sealed with automotive foam rubber seals and is in a very dry environment with a large pack of Hydrosorb in it. The gun has been treated with rem oil-which didn't seem to stop it, as well as with Froglube. I've used the Froglube on all my other guns, without a single spot of rust. It's good stuff, but nothing seems to stop this thing from rusting.
    Compared to my other guns, the Marlin seems to have pretty thin Blueing, but with the way it's treated, I still can't explain the rust on the damn thing.
    I've always been really strict about oiling guns and making sure they're put away clean, so this one truly baffles me.

Has anyone else had any trouble with theirs? Or is mine a freak of nature?

Cheers, Benno

Never seen that before...

Yet, I wonder if its not a fault in the original bluing process? Maybe take to a Marlin dealer for a look, or contact Marlin directly with the issue?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      as well as being a problem with bluing problem, humidity will cause surface rust quickly on blued metal

get some really fine OO steel wool and a bit of oil and give it a light rub..

clean and oil your rifles regularly during humid or rainy days.. :S

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it's a new one for me too mate! I've got a couple of older guns in the safe that have got inactive rust that I dealt with years ago-they're the old man's and they lived out on the farm for a long time in utes etc, but all of my other ones are completely rust free. This is the only one that showing any signs of it.

I might have to resort to getting onto Marlinif it doesn't stop, otherwise I may just have to strip it and reblue it

Hi mate, I live in southern Vic and I've owned a 1978 Marlin 1994 and a 1981 Marlin 39M for the past two years or so and I've had no problems with rust.
    I have been using Break-Free CLP on all my firearms for over twenty years and they are all rust free.

Try some Break-Free and see how it go's.

Comment

• sirus17
      sirus17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Give tackleguard a go mate, pick a can up from bcf for cheap as chips, works a treat and has sorted problems like what you are describing befor

I reckon those Moisture absorbing things do more harm than good, I reckon they attract moisture into the safe. Try putting Lanox on the firearms mate, hopefully that will help stop it happening.
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Thanks a lot fellas, I'll have to give those a go!
      I was wondering about that too Varminator, that's why i sealed it right up with rubber seals, so hopefully it does the job it's meant to, time will tell I suppose!

Comment

• Varminator
        Varminator commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Benno" post=37956
        Thanks a lot fellas, I'll have to give those a go!
        I was wondering about that too Varminator, that's why i sealed it right up with rubber seals, so hopefully it does the job it's meant to, time will tell I suppose!
        I \'m sure I read somewhere that they can cause issues, I took nine out years ago and I haven't had rust issues since - I too have sealed the safe as best I can with some sort of seal I got from Bunnings (comes on a roll and cost around $12 from memory.

It's funny as I had rifles in the cupboard for years and never had rust issues (used singer sewing machine oil) then ya put em in a safe with one of them moisture absorbing things and I got a bit of rust on one of em!

I can't say for certain that it was the cause but I haven't had any issues since removing it.
    Working...
    X