Marlin 336W 30-30 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlin 336W 30-30 Review

After hunting the river in and out of the kayak and always bumping scopes and scratching stocks I decided I needed a better rifle to suit the application. I was inspired by a couple of posts on the forum and was humming and harring over a 45-70 or a 30-30.

I ended up with a 30-30 Marlin 336W, now prior to my purchase I was not really aware of some of the alleged issues after 2009. I became aware of some issues after I ordered the rifle when I was looking for some load data for cast projectiles. As you can imagine the anticipation was huge prior to the rifle getting to me. Some of the reports indicated that some of the issues were being ironed out and they were back on the road again.

Upon receiving the rifle I was pleasantly surprised how good the rifle looked as I unboxed her and began to inspect it. I had read some reports that the stock to metal contact areas did not line up and sights were that far out that you had trouble sighting the rifle correctly.

Not sure if I just got a good one or the issues have been sorted out. After the initial inspection I was very happy indeed. All the contact areas were very good as far as stock to receiver fit, the blued finish is a dark black matte parkarised type finish. The stock is a dark grained laminate that matches the blueing very well, I thought we are off to a good start.

Caliber 30/30 Win.
    Capacity 6-shot tubular magazine
    Action Lever action; side ejection; solid top receiver; deeply blued metal surfaces; gold-plated steel trigger; hammer block safety.
    Stock Walnut finished cut-checkered hardwood with pistol grip; tough Mar-Shield® finish; blued steel barrel band with integral swivel; rubber butt plate Barrel 20" with Micro-Groove® rifling (12 grooves).
    Twist Rate 1:10" r.h.
    Sights Adjustable semi-buckhorn folding rear; ramp front sight with brass bead and Wide-Scan® hood. Solid top receiver tapped for scope mount; offset hammer spur (right or left hand) for scope use.
    Overall Length 38.25"
    Weight 7 lbs.

I then went on to cycle the action and felt the trigger pull. It was no surprise that the action felt stiff but the trigger had nil creep and broke nicely. I have had the rifle for about three weeks now and the action has cycled about 600 – 650 rounds in that time. I found after about 200 shots the action freed up very well indeed.
    After I had unboxed the rifle and inspected it. I quickly hand loaded a number of diferen’t loads and headed down the road for a shot.

I was very surprised with the first group with 150g Sierra Pro hunters loaded with 31g of ADI 2208. The only issue was they were shooting 4-5 inches to the right. I had no punch to drift the rear sight across so I continued my group testing. To my surprise the best group ended up being 130g cast projectile loaded with 7g of Trail boss, which ended up around 1.2” @ 50m. All groups were shot at 50m initially and then out to 100m for a play.

My next trip to my range I took the hammer and punch then adjusted the rear sight. I shot a number of loads and ended up with 130g Cast with 7g trailboss, 130g cast with 15g 2207 and 150g Sierra pro hunters with 23g 2207. Note all three groups below were shot with the same sight setting, these loads proved to be very accurate.

I had a play shooting off hand out to 130m hitting this rabbit target a number of times from 12 shots

Whilst shooting my 22-250 at 300m at a 9” gong I slid the sight up on the 30-30 and managed to connect with a 9” plate at 300m a number of times. I thought it was time to hit the river and field test the rifle, a few days later I was there.

After a couple of shots I was paddling the river in search of a test subject. After an hour or so I came across a small mob of goats and managed to take a small billy at 43 metres with a 150g Sierra which was a bang flop. I shot over a bunny at under ten metres, one lucky bunny indeed.

In conclusion I must say that I am very happy with the rifle in every way. I have never owned an old Marlin lever gun and can not comment on the old ones. I would not hesitate on getting one of the new 336W 30-30 Marlins. The finish is good, it’s very accurate once the correct load is established and to be honest its not that fussy. After about 650 shots the rifle has never failed to function, they are very reasonably priced for what they are. If you are thinking about purchasing a new 336W I would say go for it.

Thanks for reading.

Good write-up mate, nicely done!

I'm of the same opinion with my 336. In fact, after comparing it to my 1992 manufactured 1894, I'm very tempted to say the new-build "Remlin" is actually smoother!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Forward!
    Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

Thanks for this review Macca, very comprehensive and useful!

I got one of the dodgy ones from 2009, but the only real issue was a rough as guts action, which I slicked up and it's given me great service ever since. Shot a deer with it several months ago and it played it's part. Used to wear a scope but I got a TRS-25 red dot on it now and it's the perfect scrub gun.

I'm sure you'll make plenty of special memories with her. Enjoy!

Comment

• PKFFW
        PKFFW commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the review. I've been reading some good things about the 336 over the last 12 months. Will most likely be getting one myself after I move in the new year.

as above,
      good honest review.
      nice pictures too.
      thanks mate.

Comment

Thanks mate, great write up.

Comment

• MrCarbine
          MrCarbine commented
          Editing a comment
          Too well written up.
          Reads like a commercial to me.

Nice review mate i have the same rifle never had a problem with it i put a vortex spac red dot on it and now its my go to rifle i use 160gr flex tip ammo they have plenty of stopping power and they shoot straight

Comment

Nice writeup mate. Looks like the rumors of Remlin sorting their s#!t out are justified.

I don't care for the new spray-paint finish; Give me a deep blue any day The new dark stained laminate looks awesome though! The stained "hardwood" (Birch?) on mine is more orange in colour and doesn't have any grain on it.

I wonder why they painted the bolt too? Just going to get scraped off in time.

How does the lever lock-up? Tight? Is it hard to "break" to open? I found mine was a little too hard to break open, so I modified the locking plug spring in the lever. Lever opens much easier now, but its still tight enough that it wont drop open on its own of you throw the rifle around.

New finish:

Old finish:

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks guys, Chang initially the lever lock up was a bit tight but its loosened up ok after a couple of hundred through it. The only thing I will probably do will be fit a skinner peep once I sort all my loads out. I do find because its an open sighted lever gun you go through the ammo quickly I put another 60 rounds threw it yesterday and will be out again this afternoon with more cast projectile loads to try out. As far as the matte finish on the rifle, I like it but each to there own. The laminate has a nice grain through it, it feels tough, it should hold up to hunting abuse of in and out of the kayak and bashing through scrub.

The rifle is very accurate, shoulders quick and straight in your sight line. It's very pleasurable to shoot and just a fun gun. Prior to me shooting the rifle I got my local gunsmith to go over it just in case. After all the horror story rumours I had heard I did not know what to expect. Whilst writing this review I tried to just be honest with my evaluation of the product and to be honest I did not think it would be this good.

Thanks for the in-depth review and awesome pics. Will most certainly help assist with my decision in getting a 336 for a scrub gun.

Comment

Thank you, Macca. That's an excellent review!

I'm yet to have time to test all the different factory ammo I have - and still trying to locate some Hornady Leverevolution stuff. So quick question... for the buckhorn, at 50m, did you align the top of the front sight to be level with the bottom groove, or keep the top of the front level with the horn edges? Sure I'll figure this out myself, just thought asking might save me a few shots

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Mister" post=36761
              Thank you, Macca. That's an excellent review!

I'm yet to have time to test all the different factory ammo I have - and still trying to locate some Hornady Leverevolution stuff. So quick question... for the buckhorn, at 50m, did you align the top of the front sight to be level with the bottom groove, or keep the top of the front level with the horn edges? Sure I'll figure this out myself, just thought asking might save me a few shots
              I align the front bead so I have a clear picture of the whole bead if that makes sense. I suppose the front bead is a smidge higher that the top of the V on the sight. As the distance increases I walk the front sight higher, this exposes more of the front post as the distance increases. I initially shot with the front bead seated down in the V at 50m but found my sight picture was not as precise. This seams to work very good for me, today I managed to shoot a number of groups at 100m that went 4" using 165g Hawksbury Copperhawk cast projectiles using 7.5g of Trail/boss. Another good load that produced similar groups was the same projectiles and 16g of 2207. The trailboss loads really surprised me how accurate they were with the cast projectiles out to all distances. The 165s still hit hard with the trailboss on my rabbit gong at 100m with amazing accuracy with a well supported rest.

I have not shot any factory ammo through the gun. I have managed to put nearly 800 handloads through her in about 3 - 4 weeks , lots of shooting and loading. I have come up with at least 7 very accurate loads with a range of projectiles. The 30-30 powder nectar I have found is 2207, most loads have been good and just tweaking to shrink the groups. I put 150 shots threw her today playing with loads and sight settings and sight pictures out to an array of distances. I don't have too much of an issue with the factory sights but it can be an issue in very low light. Yesterday afternoon at about 8:30pm I shot over a fox at 40m because I just could not see it, just point and shoot so to speak. Saying that I don't believe a peep with a big apperture would have helped at that time of the day.

Thanks mate, very nice write up.
            It sounds like you've got yourself a good one!....Good luck with it.

Comment

Macca, what cast projectiles are you using? Westcastings, HRBC or your own? I have a 336 in 30-30 too and am going to start reloading, was looking into cast for cost savings, I've read from a lot of sources that Marlin barrels with Microgroove rifling tend to be oversized and to go for .002" bigger for bullet diameter, i.e. instead of .308" go for .310" or so , have you slugged your barrel/chamber to see what size it is?

cheers

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by wicked" post=39639
                Macca, what cast projectiles are you using? Westcastings, HRBC or your own? I have a 336 in 30-30 too and am going to start reloading, was looking into cast for cost savings, I've read from a lot of sources that Marlin barrels with Microgroove rifling tend to be oversized and to go for .002" bigger for bullet diameter, i.e. instead of .308" go for .310" or so , have you slugged your barrel/chamber to see what size it is?

cheers
                Wicked I use Hawksbury 165g copperhawks which are sized to .308, RDT cast 130g and 165g which are sized to .308. All projectiles shoot as good as the other and I have not slugged the barrel. I did try some 170g casts sized at .310 and they were not as accurate as the others. Shooting the cast projectiles once you have your cases cost me approx. $15 - $20 per 100 shots depending which pills I load and what with. I went out this afternoon and spent $20 Start loading, save $'s and shoot lots.

Excellent job mate, Well written and great pics.

I am a solid fan of the 336 30-30 as well.

I have a 336 SS with a Leupold hog plex 1-4 scope. It magic for targets on the move. (2 eyes open)

Its the most fun and the best rifle I have owed. And it was manufactured in late 2012.

cheers
              Chad

Comment

How's this for a review

www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/132850-buckhorn-sight-issue-new-marlin-owner-problem.html
                I'm still a sceptic about marlins.

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know where you are coming from, I was till I got one. I think the main thing is, if you are concerned just look at the rifle before you buy. I would get another Marlin and I am but in 45-70 or 38-55.
              Working...
              X