1886 or 1895?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1886 or 1895?

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a big bore lever, just wanted to know which way to go? And why. Winchester 1886 or a Marlin 1895. I do want to mount a scope or a peep, like a Skinner sight.

Thanks

Originally posted by Yoshie" post=31889
    Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a big bore lever, just wanted to know which way to go? And why. Winchester 1886 or a Marlin 1895. I do want to mount a scope or a peep, like a Skinner sight.

Thanks
    Marlin in 444 because it recoils less and shoots flatter than a 45-70 while still knocking over anything alive
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

The Marlin will be easier to scope.

The 1886 is a 92 action on steroids. It's stronger than the 1895 Marlin.

The 1886 you will be limited to a barrel mounted aperture - Skinner, Tang mounted aperture or receiver mounted will require drilling and tapping some mounting holes.

The gun shop at Margate QLD has a nice Winchester 1895 in 405 Winchester that I'd love to own.

Comment

• moofy07
        moofy07 commented
        Editing a comment
        I do like the 1895's but I do also like the 1886's, the price of the Winnys is the deciding factor.

• Yoshie
        Yoshie commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got my sights set on a 444, only because I already reload 44 mag. Can you get a full length rail for the marlin?

Go the 1886.
      Pure style Pure beuty. Tang sight, sweeeet. And just to be different and not to mention just because!

Comment

Has anyone heard or seen any of the latest Marlins re: fit and finish? I've heard the quality has improved a lot in the second half of this year but am still a little weary. I'm sorta keen on a Marlin 336 in 30/30 for Service Rifle. I would prefer this over a Win 94.

Comment

Pedersoli make an 1886 copy in 45/70. I've handled one and confirm they are very well made and slick as

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipologia-prodotti.asp/l_en/idt_86/rifles-model-86-71-lever-action-boarbuster.html
          Hold still varmint, whilst I plugs ya!

Comment

Working...
          X