Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winchester 88 opinions

Hi shooters,

i'm looking at a winchester 88 for hunting medium to large game and would like to hear from anyone who has owned or shot one. a google search seems to reveal they can be quite accurate and quite light, an issue if you happen to shoot one in .284win.....which is the one i want

I would be looking to fit a low powered, low profile scope like a 2-7X33 leupold firedot and carried for pigs and hopefully large deer species next season. i currently own a tikka with a .284 barrel so i'm familiar with the cartridge

thanks in advance for your opinions

steve

The Mod 88 has such a bad trigger you will regret buying it. Don't believe anyone that says they can "fix it". If you just want one for your collection buy it but to shoot with no. Sorry if this shutters your dream but I have handled a lot of them - had one for a while. It is a beautiful looking hunting rifle ... until you pull the trigger.

Let me rephrase this:
    It is one of my favorite hunting rifles in everyway. It has a well designed stock, slim trim and terrifc it would look awsome with a 2-7x on it. It is accurate and fast on the second shot but the trigger let's it down bad. This ofcourse may not be an issue with you but it really disapointed me.
    If you're going through hell, keep going."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

thanks Mr C,

i read the triggers were bad but you can't ever trust what some reviewers write. that's why i asked here.

have you ever seen any good trigger work or is it simply not possible with the linkage system?

steve

Comment

• MrCarbine
        MrCarbine commented
        Editing a comment
        When I had mine a gunsmith said he would give it a go but there was no guarantee it would be a success. I though the rifle was too valuable to be used for training purposes so I did not let him touch it. It is a gem of a rifle but I am use to good triggers and every time I used it, it broke my heart. It's capable of good groups if you make the effort to manage that horrible trigger.

Good enough for RAMBO

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah but he only managed to shoot two dogs with it. And a helicopter if I recall.

Steve

I had one a few years back in 243 and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. The bedding set up is pretty ordinary and the extraction isn't to flash either if the shells are used to often......I always had to have a cleaning rod handy. The trigger was heavy because it shared the same spring as the hammer. To lighten the trigger spring you had to lighten the hammer strike.
      I ended up getting rid of the 88 and buying a sako.......no more sticky shells and it had a good trigger!
      Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Pilch303" post=29516
        I had one a few years back in 243 and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. The bedding set up is pretty ordinary and the extraction isn't to flash either if the shells are used to often......I always had to have a cleaning rod handy. The trigger was heavy because it shared the same spring as the hammer. To lighten the trigger spring you had to lighten the hammer strike.
        I ended up getting rid of the 88 and buying a sako.......no more sticky shells and it had a good trigger!
        Thanks for the reply, was it the sako finwolf?

On the advice here I've decided to look at other options

Thanks

Steve

Hello Steve!
      I bought a M591 bolt action in 243, wished I had done it from the start!
      I think the value of the 88 now is more for the collectors side of things, they started manufacture in 1955 and display a unique design and quality no longer seen in the modern Winchesters. They still are a rifle that has a stylish modern look about them despite being at least 40+ years old!
      Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Pilch303" post=29598
        Hello Steve!
        I bought a M591 bolt action in 243, wished I had done it from the start!
        I think the value of the 88 now is more for the collectors side of things, they started manufacture in 1955 and display a unique design and quality no longer seen in the modern Winchesters. They still are a rifle that has a stylish modern look about them despite being at least 40+ years old!
        No doubt they look the part, almost like a semi auto shotgun In so e images when unscoped

I was mistaken, it was the gun that shot at Rambo from the helicopter, from which the shooter was brought down by a rock thrown by Rambo.

Steve

Wasn't going to post anything anymore, but after reading the slagging off here, I felt compelled to defend the 88

Pros: they're a bloody good HUNTING rifle for a lever action, chambered in some decent calibre's that suit Australian conditions/game, quick 2nd/3rd shots.

Cons:
      Trigger: okay, they leave a little to be desired, but I've got one thats been worked and although not match spec by any stretch, I've never once lined up a deer and thought "damn this trigger is creepy" even with the factory spec trigger, it's not an issue with the quick 2nd/3rd shots
      Cleaning: They're bitch to strip, and I mean a bitch with a capital B. To do it properly you need a couple of slave pins. infinite amounts of patience the first 2 attempts and access to an obscure youtube vid, but once its done, squirt a bit of graphite powder in the receiver/ lever mech and keep the wet lube to a minimum and it stays clean enough. I had one that cycled rough, turns out it had never been cleaned and whoa and behold after 10 minutes of cleaning and 8 1/2 hours of trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, it was as good as gold
      Stock: the set-up with the slim butt and heal drop is borderline for the 243 rifles, but a tad booty for the 308s. Problem solved with a Boyds or MPI fibreglass stock if you're like me and thats your thing.
      Accuracy: It's a hunting rifle designed to shoot biggish things, if you want a sniper rifle for shooting bee's dicks, buy one of those. I've only missed one deer in 5 years with mine... an optimistic 600m long shot on a fallow at the end on a long day before going home. The 1-4x 24 scope probably didn't help the cause, or the fact I've never shot it out past 200m on anything. Accuracy Nazis claim attaching the stock to the barrel does nothing for accuracy, and they've probably got a fair point, but they'll out shoot any other lever action in existence, so why compare them with a bolt action?
      Age: I see your claims about their age and counter with this irrufutable fact: They're a classic!

Comment

Working...
      X