Quality of wood finish on Marlin 45-70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of wood finish on Marlin 45-70

I took delivery of a new Marlin 1895G 45-70 on Saturday ........ man was i dissapointed in the quality of the wood finish on it. I had pre ordered and had the pick of 3 my LGS had received.

I know after the 'Rem take over' things have gone downhill in the quality control and service delivery but expected heaps better than I saw, I really feel sorry for the guys that had ordered the other 2 rifles - very poor finish and fit.

So Iv'e spent today rubbing down and re staining the butt and fore-end wood using some good old 0000 wool and feast and watson walnut stain. I must say after a few hours work it's looking 10000% better already. Got my colour how I want it, just need to finish it with some tru-oil when I'm off work on Thursday .... Will post before and after pics when completed

Anyone else had similar issues ?
    For the price of the gun I expected a much better presentation.

Nah mate, my latest lever gun is a Winchester so...... Perfect fit and finish.
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Sorry to hear mate, interested to see how the timber looked beforehand. Did you get the stainless or blued version, I am assuming its blued being a 1895G? Did you shoot the rifle after you picked it up? I just got a new Marlin 336w 30-30 and I thought the gun overall was pretty good for a no frills model. I am also going to get an 1895G 45-70 after xmas, I am interested to see what other shooters have experienced with this rifle.

Cheers Macca.

Comment

• several
        several commented
        Editing a comment
        I did handle a 30/30 336 Marlin that was pretty nice, action was a bit clunky though but the finish was pretty nice.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        The timber is walnut so I expected a decent bit of wood, it was stained very lightly and very rough to handle (unfinished)- light brown with a tinge of red to it...... hard to describe really.
        I went straight to the range with it on Sat after I picked it up and bought 3 boxes of hornady lever evolution ammo only to find it CLOSED FOR A COMPETITION !!! Was spewing I tell ya....

It is the blued 18" barrel 1in20 twist. I went in to my LGS actually chasing the laminated big loop in stainless but was told these wern't likley to be in Aus again until at least Feb/May nxt year - I couldn't wait that long haha
    Working...
    X