Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good open sight upgrade option for a new Marlin

Hi All,

I have just put the money down on a new Marlin 336BL and am waiting for PTAs, new safes etc, etc before I pick it up. I want to use it with open sights so I thought while I was waiting I would get the rear sight upgraded as I've heard the semi-buckhorns are fairly imprecise. I am thinking a ghost ring sight so I am wondering if somebody could suggest a good make/model to suit this gun?

Regards,
    SG.
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

I have an XS ghost ring on my Marlin 45/70. It works well out to the limit of my eyes, about 100 metres these days. Shoots where I aim and they are a lot cheaper than they used to be. Easy to fit and sight in.

Comment

• Shotgunner
      Shotgunner commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Johno250" post=26005
      I have an XS ghost ring on my Marlin 45/70. It works well out to the limit of my eyes, about 100 metres these days. Shoots where I aim and they are a lot cheaper than they used to be. Easy to fit and sight in.
      Thanks Johno, I just looked them up and they look good. I also found this video of fitting one to a 94, I presume it is similar to a 336, and it looks very easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zrNDWrElI

http://www.skinnersights.com/express_sights_15.html

Comment

My post from another thread.

Originally posted by Chang739" post=23277
      Originally posted by Macca" post=23253
      Just purchased a Marlin 336 30-30 , looking forward to shooting it . A mate gave me 300 new cases so the loading will begin when everything comes together . I was going to play with cast bullets and trailboss as a plinker to keep costs down . Are any of you guys running peep sights on your 30 -30 s ? If so what and how do you find them as far as accuracy and durability ??

Cheers Macca
      Accuracy? Can hit a 5 inch medallion every time at 100m standing. Leaning against a tree, I can get a dinner plate sized group at 200m. More than enough for hunting.

Durability? The design of the sight follows the same lines as the receiver; If the rifle was scraped by a bush or branch, it would just slide over it. The peep ring itself is rounded and the stem is very thick... .You would be trying very hard to break this setup.

Also, you get an extra 7-odd inches of sight radius. Much less error than buck horn sights.

Comment

Thanks Mate, practical and the brass ones look nice too. Is that a factory blade on the muzzle?
        "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Nah, I ended up buying a 0.5" front sight from Skinners just to be sure... Turns out I needed it after all. It was shooting about 2 meters too low with the factory front post.

I have filed the front sight down since I took that photo. It's approximately 0.4 of an inch tall now.

EDIT: I'll replace that last photo in my last post with a more up to date picture. The front sight post doesn't look ridiculously tall now.

Comment

I agree with the skinners, they are excellent. If it wasnt for my poor eyes I would have stick with them. but needed the scope.

Love how fast you can get on target with them.

Cheers

Chad
            Attached Files

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Has anyone tried a fibre optic on the front sight?

Went for a hunt last weekend (first time in ages) and I can say that the Skinner sights are awesome!

Took game that was standing at 150m and one that ran out of a bush 15m in front of us.

I think both of those scenarios show the Skinners strengths; They are good for precise, long range shots as well as quick sight-target acquisition (the rifle was slung at the time and the game running right to left).

My Marlin 336 with Skinners remain my favorite hunting combo

Comment

Good idea. Yeah my eyes are going, unfortunately

Been checking out Mojos, since the likelihood of shooting scoped rifles any time soon is about nil lol

http://www.shooters.com.au/search.as...nt=500&Chkst=0

Comment

Chang,

What size rear peep is yours?

Comment

• Chang739
                  Chang739 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Mister" post=36758
                  Chang,

What size rear peep is yours?
                  I have the medium (0.7") aperture screwed in for daytime use - I take it out and use the "ghost ring" when spotlighting/night shooting.
              Working...
              X