Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Wanted on 30-30 and 45-70

Hi,

I'm after some advice on which of the two calibers to select. Mainly to be used for pigs on down and out to 100-150m but any of the larger ferals are also fair game. I reload so that's not a problem.

This lever action is all new to me so if there is something else worth having a look at let me know, but I am looking at the large slow bullet variety rather than the modern cartridges like .308.

Thanks

both will work.
    30/30 may be more comfy to shoot though.

Comment

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      30/30 will do the job mate, so will a 45/70 but it's dearer to run and kicks a bit harder.
      A 30/30 with a good bullet will handle most game at those ranges, unless you want to knock a buffalo then you might want something bigger though I've seen the 30/30 do a good job on scrub bulls under 100m.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Send-it" post=24603
      both will work.
      30/30 may be more comfy to shoot though.
      2nd that , 30-30 will be fine for most game in Australia.
      Cheap to feed and just works on Boars and goats ,foxes and dogs.
      30-30 is a great round for most Australian feral's.

I shot enough boars and goats with a 30-30 to know it work and works well.
      I tend to find most game ,where i hunt is usually taken around the 20-80 meter range.

Go the 30-30 would be my advice mate, and let us know what you get

I enjoyed the 45/70 more than the 30/30 I had, it slaps hard from both ends, so fun to shoot. Only reason I sold it is because I don't reload, but you've got that covered.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got both and wouldn't part with either, 30/30 will give you more range but the 45/70 puts things down with more authority.
      If you are thinking about playing with cast then the 45/70 will probably be easier to get good results with.
      If you want to play with black powder loads then 45/70 is the obvious pick.
      Factory ammo for the 30/30 is less then half the price if it is a consideration.

220 I would be surprised if the 30-30 would give you any more effective range than the 45-70. Maybe with the FTX bullet you might get 20y more point blank range if that. The 45-70 with 300g bullets loaded to about 2250fps gives a +/- PBR to about 200y which the 30-30 struggles to beat.

And the 45-70 will still be packing at 150y the same amount of energy that the 30-30 has at the muzzle.

Of course the 45-70 uses more expensive components and kicks a lot more so there is your trade off.

For an inexperienced or casual shooter the 30-30 is hard to beat.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Get a Browning BLR.. Best of both worlds

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by bobnob" post=24886
      220 I would be surprised if the 30-30 would give you any more effective range than the 45-70. Maybe with the FTX bullet you might get 20y more point blank range if that. The 45-70 with 300g bullets loaded to about 2250fps gives a +/- PBR to about 200y which the 30-30 struggles to beat.
      With the FTX @ 2300fps sighted 3" high at 100 puts me poa at 200, 6" low at 250 & about 14" low at 300. I have shot on paper out to 300 to verify the trajectory with this and a number of other cartridges and it every case it has been almost spot on.
      Most of my 45/70 shooting is with cast at under 2000fps, I just quickly checked some figures and got the following for 300gr sierra @ 2200fps
      2.5" high for a 150 zero, 7" low at 200, 21" low at 250 and 42" low at 300. To me that is no where near as flat and realisticly gives the 30/30 about 70y advantage.
      Past 150 the 30/30 is also carrying more energy.
      Like I said regardless of what the energy figures say the 45/70 does seem to hit with more authority, but if you want range the 30/30 has it all over it.

I was in the same delemer a couple of weeks ago . I ended up with a 336 30-30 but I plan on a guide gun next year . It's my first lever gun and only rifle with open sights , looking forward to drilling a few critters with it .

Comment

Has anyone heard if the quality of the rem-lins has improved? When I was looking a few months ago people still thought they were a risk but were getting better.

Comment

• several
        several commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=26172
        Has anyone heard if the quality of the rem-lins has improved? When I was looking a few months ago people still thought they were a risk but were getting better.
        The marlin felt better in my hands but seemed a bit rough in fit and finish , so I went for the Jap built Winchester, it's finish is exquisite.

• WhelanLad
        WhelanLad commented
        Editing a comment
        mate I bought an old school 1981 winnie 94, hadn't been looked after immaculately but it shot well, Any Better than good condition Marlin or Win will be awesome!

30-30 does sound like your medicine though mate
        enjoy the lever gun hunting...
        wl

High velocity helps to punch through steel.

I don't think the ability to go through steel helps adjudication of how good a round is for hunting.

Comment

Working...
      X