Uberti or Rossi in 44-40 or 45colt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uberti or Rossi in 44-40 or 45colt

Hi guys, I have decided to add another lever to the family. I am struggling to choose between 44-40 or 45col; whilst a 45 colt is an authentic 19th century cartridge its not an authentic lever caliber! (There is always another authentic 45 cal maybe another time).

I have excluded Marlin on account of quality control and Henry on account of availability of the big boy!

As I see it these are my options:

1. Try to find a good example of an original Winchester 1892; the cheapest option for a well used example but its going to cost a lot for an excellent one, they stopped making them 70 years ago!

How good can a 100 year old lever action rifle be?

My Carl Gustav turned a 100 this year and it in very good condition; no offense intended, but a 1892 action is no where near as strong as a Swedish Mauser and I doubt the barrel would have been forged to the same standard.

2. Buy a new Rossi 1892, best I can get it for is $830.

3. Buy a Uberti reproduction Winchester 1873, best I can get it for is $1450.

I would consider buying a new Miroku (Winchester) 1892, best I can get it for is $1500 and it has a highly unauthentic tang safety and rebounding hammer

Can you please give me first hand experience of Uberti and Rossi rifles chambered in 44-40 or 45 colt.

Thanks

I have a Rossi 1892 44- 40 for sale . It has had very little use and is in excellent condition If you are interested just PM me.
    I am asking $580

Comment

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      You cannot go wrong with either one.
      The 44-40 is the classic lever gun cartridge and there are few situations where you will be under gunned with one

What do you want to do with it? Hunting, cowboy action??

Rossi's aren't well regarded in the Cowboy Action circles as they tend to stovepipe/jam if worked really fast or babied when they are cycled. For Cowboy Action Uberti's are the frontrunners, followed by the pre-remlin Marlins.

Comment

• andyjm79
      andyjm79 commented
      Editing a comment
      I want it for cowboy action and lever action 'classic caliber' competition!

The 30-30 is for hunting

So the Rossi's aren't much good for rapid fire?

i shot lever action classic caliber today with my rossi 1892 in 44mag

if you baby the action is will jam but if your like me and work the action like your life depends on it no problem what so ever but when reloading you really have to watch your COL the 92's don't like them long

Comment

But is lever action classic a speed event like Cowboy?

From what I've read this is the failing of the '92, which leads to stovepipes.

However the '92 is a stronger action then the 1873 so will outlive it. For Cowboy action who use mousefart loads this isn't a problem.

Comment

• Rat man407
        Rat man407 commented
        Editing a comment
        well today we shot 35 rounds and 30 of them were slow fire but 5 were rapid and i also use my 92 for hunting and never had a problem as long as you work the action hard

Quick Cowboy Action Question...

My understanding is.... lever action that shoots a pistol caliber. Is that right? Therefore, no 30-30s for example?

Comment

• TheOtherLeft
        TheOtherLeft commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Mister" post=25031
        Quick Cowboy Action Question...

My understanding is.... lever action that shoots a pistol caliber. Is that right? Therefore, no 30-30s for example?
        Correct, pistol cal only. There is a side event for long range lever action which I think uses rifle cal.

Get what one you like as the Rossi and uberti are great I have shot both extensively in single action and have never had any trouble with either. I've even done very well in a speed comp with the Rossi and came very close to the guys with worked 73's by about half a second emptying a full mag. I find the Rossi more accurate than my uberti but that could be my loads.

Comment

• TheOtherLeft
        TheOtherLeft commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Comanche" post=25057
        Get what one you like as the Rossi and uberti are great I have shot both extensively in single action and have never had any trouble with either. I've even done very well in a speed comp with the Rossi and came very close to the guys with worked 73's by about half a second emptying a full mag. I find the Rossi more accurate than my uberti but that could be my loads.
        Hi Comanche,

Have you had any work done on your Rossi? Not having a go just curious.

Spend the extra and get a winchester 92, personally I wouldn't look at the Rossi because of the many failings it has eg stove piping/jams failure to feed due to sticky magazine followers so on so on. Keep a lookout for an older model Winny even a second hand used commemorative.
      Haven't had alot of dealings with the Uberti firearms though they do have a large range of firearms to pick from and I have seen alot of guys using them without many probs.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	RossiModel94.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	40311
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Winchester9445LongColt.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	40310
        Sir, I have a brand new unfired Rossi 45 long colt hexagonal barrel definately has not been fired fitted with a Lyman receiver sight 66A for old Winchester 94, $550.00 plus postage dealer H & S Firearms Sale My licence number on PM. I have too many long arms I do not use and getting to old to enjoy its a bargain PM me if you are interested.

Comment

Sorry the Winchester is not for sale I put wrong picture she's my baby bush toy

Comment

Regarding the Rossi Model 92 clones; I own a second hand, VGC rifle of this type. It is a 24 inch barrel, half round, half octagonal, 45 cal 12 shot, blued.

When I got it, rounds would stovepipe almost every time, it was unusable. Upon disassembly, I found that a previous owner had taken the catridge interruptor out, and then reassembled it with the flat spring in backwards, so it was non functional. After fixing that, it has been great. I have lightened the trigger a bit, polished some of the internals and it is a very reliable gun.

There are at least four other guys running Rossi 92s at my club, and whilst some a not as smooth as mine due to not being worked, the are very reliable. I have heard some bad things about these guns, and apart from the fact they are a bit rough out of the box, they are a solid reliable gun. Reliable to the point that alot of folks in the US use them for home defense.

The Uberti 1873 is without a doubt much quicker, can be short stroked, worked over, and be super quick, much faster than speeds attainable with the Rossi. Having said that, I have not seen anyone at the club that can rack their Rossi quick enough to have a need to switch to a 73.

It is all down to preference, unless you intend on top level competing, in which case the 92 would be a distinct disadvantage. As stated earlier, the 92 is much more solid than the 73, and can take hot loaded rounds from the .44mag easily. The toggle link action of the 73 is no way near as solid as the dual locking lugs of the 92. For these to fail, the bolt would need to be forced back hard enough to shear them off. They 1873 came first obviously, the 92 is nearly 20 years ahead of the 73 in terms of technology and design of the time. Not neccesarily to say it's better, but it does have improvements from the angle of strength and ruggedness.

I like the looks and strenght of the 92, but will be getting a 73 down the road as I collect guns of the old west. Don't let people put you off the 92, just be prepared to put in some work smoothing it out, to get the most from it. Personally I enjoy buying a new gun and then working it over anyway, to make it just how I like it. Typically I take it out, shoot it a few times, then decide what work I want to do. You don't need a workshop to do a good job on the Rossi/Wichester, just regular gun cleaning gear, screwdrivers, sandpaper, polishing compound, a drill if you wish to drill holes in the flat springs to soften them, or even better, a bench grinder or dremel.

They are both fine weapons and will serve you well.

Comment

Working...
            X