Don’t Give Up On the .30-30!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don’t Give Up On the .30-30!

A Lever section isn't complete without some talk about the 30-30.

I found an Interesting article about one man's thoughts on it after many years of hunting with different calibers....

The .30-30 is the perfect North American deer rifle and a heck of a lot more. It is an excellent, medium range cartridge capable of taking nearly all medium to large game at typical shooting ranges. There are cartridges that shoot farther, flatter and harder. There are few, if any, that are more efficient at realistic hunting ranges.
    Full article here http://www.chuckhawks.com/30-30_dont_give_up.htm

Watch it....you'll get bagged like I do for using a .30-06.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=23064
      Watch it....you'll get bagged like I do for using a .30-06.
      how so?

Just purchased a Marlin 336 30-30 , looking forward to shooting it . A mate gave me 300 new cases so the loading will begin when everything comes together . I was going to play with cast bullets and trailboss as a plinker to keep costs down . Are any of you guys running peep sights on your 30 -30 s ? If so what and how do you find them as far as accuracy and durability ??

Cheers Macca

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine came with a Wilson FP peep sight.
      I took it off & went back to the std irons for two reasons.

It was heaps too high & couldn't be used with the std front sight blade (a sure sign that this little 1975 vintage mod 94 had never been used)
      Secondly it was just too obnoxious, an ugly looking thing hanging off the side of the action just begging to get snagged on every bit of scrub I went into, getting it in & out of the bag was a pain plus it was vulnerable to dammage.

I think the Skinner peeps look nice & are very functional for a Marlin but no good on a Winny.

Mick.

• Chang739
      Chang739 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Macca" post=23253
      Just purchased a Marlin 336 30-30 , looking forward to shooting it . A mate gave me 300 new cases so the loading will begin when everything comes together . I was going to play with cast bullets and trailboss as a plinker to keep costs down . Are any of you guys running peep sights on your 30 -30 s ? If so what and how do you find them as far as accuracy and durability ??

Cheers Macca
      Accuracy? Can hit a 5 inch medallion every time at 100m standing. Leaning against a tree, I can get a dinner plate sized group at 200m. More than enough for hunting.

Durability? The design of the sight follows the same lines as the receiver; If the rifle was scraped by a bush or branch, it would just slide over it. The peep ring itself is rounded and the stem is very thick... .You would be trying very hard to break this setup.

Also, you get an extra 7-odd inches of sight radius. Much less error than buck horn sights.

Looks good Chang, where did you pick your Skinner sights up from? They look very nice and sturdy that's for sure.

Comment

As I read the article, I found his experienced echoed mine when hunting. That is, I found myself shooting at certain ranges regardless of the rifle taken. As I mentioned elsewhere, I stopped using my 6.5x55 and just stuck with the 223. And apart from rabbit sized things, a 30-30 would have sufficed. I suppose the 6.5 would have done too - but - it really wasn't a pleasure to shoot at all, whereas I always enjoyed the 223.

And I'd been thinking... a next up calibre from the 223. Sure a 308 comes to mind. But for the ranges I shoot at... yeah, a 30-30 would be spot on. And this isn't meant to be a "308 is better, no a 30-06 is better" argument. Just that, My preferred hunting style is to get on the ground and cover as much of it as I can on foot and stalk the animal on its own turf instead of sniping it from 400 meters way. Add the geography and typography and flora density of where I hunt and yeah, a 30-30 would be Ideal.

Comment

Under 150m you'll likely never notice the diff between a 308 or 30-30 in killing power.

Comment

• several
          several commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by bobnob" post=23981
          Under 150m you'll likely never notice the diff between a 308 or 30-30 in killing power.
          Yes, but just to be on the safe side I went and got one of each.
      Working...
      X