375Winchester and Sambar deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 375Winchester and Sambar deer

Well went out after the rains for an evening stroll.

after seeing 4 deer It was game on for the next to step out, I spied a Sambar hind feeding on berries across gulley , took some photos but she got a whiff an moved off into the berries themselves.

No drama I kept moving down the berry choked gulley , crossed it an over a bit of a rise, stopping every so often to look an listen, whilst carrying lever gun I need to stop completely an rest rifle on my Side to glass etc, a stick snapped from behind a stand of berries an I could then see .Sambar brown moving toward the gulley where id crossed, you beauty Rifle up an cocked the rifle, aimed through the Williams peep sight an sent off a 220 Hornady, At 40meters the Deer jumped an took off in a semi circle arc toward the gulley but then back up straight past me an copped a follow up shot from 20ms before disappearing over the rise.....

Wowzers good stuff I thought! Gave it 5 minutes before being confident I would find this deer shortly over the rise, 50, 100 an then 150m on still no deer ..... a little bit of blood but nothing screaming that it would be dead...

I was overlooking quite a big black berry flat an could then hear her coffing an in a bad state, I knew where she was an was about to make my way in there when all of a sudden the wind swung an the black berries erupted, deer flew out everywhere so the joys of the Lever action sung out! I was able to drop the hammer on a Spikey as 2 deer fled to my Left, from a good 100m, id almost say 120m, I was able to land one in the lungs on the run an seen him take the shot an go into a berry but not come out behind the calf.... Cheering!

Went an finished off the Hind, took some photos and walked out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0689spikey.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	34561

Name:	DSCN0709hind1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	34562

Good day with Lever guns an Sambar deer!
    Check out the photos of her Toe nails... quite long

Name:	DSCN0701toenail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	34563

Cheers
    WL

knee deep mud to recover the animal wasn't too fun LOL

Name:	DSCN0696muddy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	34564

Photo showing some scenery

Name:	DSCN0691scenicspike.jpg
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	34565

I prefer to use a face mask , especially for stalking up close. photo to show the difference to the first.

Name:	DSCN0703leverhind.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	34566

How many deer are you allowed to take with a game licence??? Is there a bag limit or season quota???
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

• WhelanLad
      WhelanLad commented
      Editing a comment
      As many as you can find in Day light hours is basically the Rules regarding How many an when.

cheers
      WL

And is that of the understanding that all deer shot are for consumption???
    I throw sub-moa rocks

Comment

• WhelanLad
      WhelanLad commented
      Editing a comment
      No rules in Australia regarding that. On another forum we have been argueing an discussing various things regarding what is done with animals after shot . meat etc... It was quite interesting to say the least...... a few hot heads too!

Cheers mate

WL

Sweet, I'm moving down to vic and am starting a Trophy collection, would have a big sambar.... Thanks for the info....
    I throw sub-moa rocks

Comment

• WhelanLad
      WhelanLad commented
      Editing a comment
      hahaha Bloody oath, get into them. After ya shoot a few you start switchin on that its only kinda fun after you shoot one LOL fun up until that point of puling the trigger.

Good luck

WL

Nice firearm. I never could work out why the 375 Win wasn't a more long term success.

Glad you found your deer.

Comment

Working...
    X