Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unusual handgun

Reposting this from shooting.com.au:

Been awhile since I last posted something. I've recently been getting into my little pile of .44 Rem Mag, and figured I'd share one of my more unusual firearms: the 6 Unica. Made by Macchine Termo-Balistiche (Ma.Te.Ba.) of Italy between 1997 and 2005 before the company went under. The designer, Emilio Ghisoni (of Chiappa Rhino fame, now deceased) may be familiar to some for his unusual and unorthodox revolver designs, popularly using the "6 o'clock" barrel/cylinder alignment.

The 6 Unica (Unica = Unique in Italian, feminine form) is a semi-automatic revolver. It operates on a short-recoil principle, where the energy of the preceding shot moves the upper slide rearward against recoil spring pressure to simultaneously cock the hammer and rotate the cylinder to the next chamber.

Here is a basic "field" strip.

Here you can see the travel of the slide against the frame. I've removed the recoil spring assembly (which requires patience and a tiny allen key) for illustrative purposes. Total travel distance is 12.5mm.

The frame is deceptively simple in appearance, but removing the one piece walnut grip will show it's complexity. It is adjustable for: over travel, DA sear engagement, recoil weight, trigger weight, hammer strike distance, hammer spring weight, and SA sear engagement. These are done via screws and it is very annoying to set it the first time.

My particular 6 Unica is a matte nickel "Hunter" model, with a compensated 8 3/8" threaded barrel in .44 Remington Magnum. It is the only such pistol in my entire state in this configuration, and one of less than 100 imported to the US. Total 6 Unica production worldwide for all models and configurations are less than 6000 produced.

Very nice pistol,how does it shoot?
    Faster Horses
    Younger Women
    Older Whiskey
    More Money

SSAA N52

Comment

• chazbot
      chazbot commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by SPRINT-GTO" post=6772
      Very nice pistol,how does it shoot?
      Very well. I can reliably hit 18" plates at 200 yards.

Most unusual!

Thanks for the education & pics, chazbot

Now all I have to think is has Morgo got one Lol

Comment

• Harry
      Harry commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by zhuk" post=6866
      Most unusual!

Thanks for the education & pics, chazbot

I don't think Morgo has one, I have the immediate cousin the chiappa Rhino and have been trying to secure a Mateba 6 for a while. I had a deposit on one with an FFL dealer in West Virginia a little while ago but the dealer pulled the pin and I am now trying to secure another one. None that I know of in this country ATM but I am trying to rectify that

Cheers
      Harry

• Morgo
      Morgo commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by zhuk" post=6866

No

Not yet

Here is a video explaining how the system works;:

Comment

I think they are cool as, very different take on the modern revolver.

Comment

• Spurious
        Spurious commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, it certainly looks like a strong bit of kit.

DO WANT!!!

Very nice mate, are they new pics too ?
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

That is the single most coolest "Handgun", I have seen!

Woof woof!

Oddball

Comment

Working...
        X