what to look for when buying secondhand Glock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest commented on 's reply
    Strip it, look for obvious signs of wear and or damage.

Check the safety's work. Whilst holding the slide vertical, press the firing pin safety and shake the slide up and down. The firing pin should be sliding in and out freely. Now let go of the firing pin safety and hold the slide vertical and shake it again, the firing pin should not move.

Put it back together.

Take some snap caps with you. CLEARLY explain what you want to do, don't just load up some snap caps, you will give the seller a bit of a scare. Test the gun using the snap caps. Glocks are very hardy and reliable.

If the seller lets you, take a bucket of mud with you and dunk the glock in the mud then run over it with your car. Then take a piss on it. If it's a glock it will still shoot :P

• Morgo
    replied
    As mentioned theres not much to go wrong with the Glocks. I'd just detail strip it and check for any obvious signs of wear, check the barrel make sure its fine and has no bulges (people new to reloading can do some interesting things to firearms), reassemble and function check.

Other than that, buy it and shoot it

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yeah as Nalioth was saying, not too many things to go wrong with a Glock (or striker-fired pistols in general) in the first place. They're never going to be target handguns and the slide-to-frame fit is going to be "generous" as a consequence. Maybe frame wear above and beyond normal you could check for, haven't heard of the modern tough polymers cracking but wouldn't hurt to have a close look at that I guess.

They're built pretty tough as defensive handguns after all.

Leave a comment:

Guest commented on Guest's reply
    As an addendum to my last post, PLEASE ask yourself why are so many near new Glocks, Generation 4 and 3 being sold, this may also apply to the S&W M&P an extremely similar handgun to a Glock, you need to work that out.

Guest replied
    If you look at usedguns.com there are so many Glock 17 & 34 for sale I would imagine that they are all in good condition, as all I have look at on that site are having only 100 or so rounds put through them. I cannot see any issues with a used handgun, especially a Glock as most clubs have used them for years with never a missed beat.
    In fact on a past forum now no longer ""shooting.com. " there was a POST, many advised they clean their Glocks ever blue moon or never, that would be about right.

The best way to see if a Glock is ok, if you need reassurance is simply shoot the firearm or if in another state or location, I have never but genuine owners sell them.

Leave a comment:

Guest commented on Guest's reply
    I'd be asking the seller to show you what he/she uses to lube the slide then where to do it. Should be able to assess whether or not they've looked after it if just shot the crap out if it.

Steve

Guest replied
    There ain't much that can go wrong with a Glock.

Here's my procedure when I buy used guns:

Take a wooden pencil with you.

Clear the weapon for safety.

Cock the weapon

Drop the eraser end of the pencil down the barrel

Point the weapon at the sky/ceiling and fire it.

If the pencil bounces off the ceiling (or sticks in it), the firing pin is good to go

You can take some snap caps or dummy rounds to check for extraction and whatnot, but after the firing pin check, I usually just eyeball the weapon to make sure all the parts are present.

As for a Glock, you really can't screw them up. My local gun range has some they've rented for over 20 years, and I'm not sure they've replaced anything on them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No worries pgman, will move it instead

Leave a comment:

• pgman
    replied
    Sorry wrong section please delete

Leave a comment:

• pgman
    started a topic what to look for when buying secondhand Glock

what to look for when buying secondhand Glock

Hi looking at a secondhand Glock in a couple weeks and want to know if I should look for if anything in particular that might be wrong or go wrong with them?

Thanks
Working...
X