Barrel Length - Browning Hi Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel Length - Browning Hi Power

I am interested in getting myself a new Browning Hi Power Standard (gloss blue finish). The pistol is dimensionally identical to MkIII Hi Powers (all variants). In particular, it has exactly the same barrel as the MkIII. In fact, almost all Hi Powers have exactly the same barrels.

The problem is the Browning (in Australia) lists the MkIIIs barrel length as 120mm while the Standard barrel is listed at 118mm. In real life, they are identical.

I have used a rod to measure the barrel length as defined in NSW:

the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to the point of the breech face (including the chamber) with the top slide forward and the breech face or bolt in a closed position,

This comes out as a tad over 120mm in the Standard.

Is it fair enough (in NSW) to get a dealer to measure the barrel length (strictly according to the NSW legislation) and have the pistol certified as fit for Cat H?

They are ok here in Aus, the way the barrel is measured here generally adds that extra few mm's.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      as Morgo said you will have no issues with a HP

Yeah 4mm would be an issue (ie my TT-33 ) but 2mm should be fine.

Comment

Very glad to find this.... Just bought a Hi Power Practical and then read that standard barrels are 118mm. Crapped myself

All happy now.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, a mate of mine just bought a new MK3 and was wondering the same thing. We checked the (NSW) rego papers & they stated the barrel length as 120mm.

Hi everyone
      Luger P08 Standard barrel length 102mm.
      Is there any possible to extension tube of steel (welded)to end of the barrel by gunsmith made barrel length enough 120mm.
      then register it under H licens
      Cheers

Comment

• Varagner
        Varagner commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Erwin" post=227014
        Hi everyone
        Is there any possible to extension tube of steel (welded)to end of the barrel by gunsmith made barrel length enough 120mm.
        Cheers
        Yes that is perfectly legal. I have a Glock 19 that the orginal owner decided to have a custom extended barrel made for. Rather then buying a longer aftermarket barrel.

But for a Luger which is a classic collectors piece it would be commiting a crime of poor taste.

Get a collectors Cat H license and you can own it with the orginal barrel length.

• PWD
        PWD commented
        Editing a comment
        It's possible, Erwin, but you should check with your state firearms branch. There is some variation between states.
        In NSW they have in the past accepted barrels that have been lengthened, provided it was a "permanent" extension.

Regards
        Paul D

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Erwin" post=227014
        Hi everyone
        Cheers
        Or, you could keep an eye out for a Swiss Luger (they show up on usedguns from time to time) with the longer 4.7"' barrel that is Cat H legal. Only catch is that they're chambered in 7.65Luger (& not 9mm like the regular P08s) so you'll need to reload for it.

Thanks for everyone`s information.
      Have been send the required for several gunsmith and WLB wanting for reply .
      Barrel so difficult to find has been asked up to 30 dealer
      Any way If could not find the 4 3/4 or 5 or Extension barrel.Will go apply Collector,That is my final choice .
      Happy new year Folks
      Happy 2016

Comment

• Aussie44
        Aussie44 commented
        Editing a comment
        Graeme Spraggon imports Luger barrels but doesn't keep them in stock, They are threaded, cut for the extractor, original profile but are not chambered.
        You have to put an order in with him and wait for the next shipment.
    Working...
    X