NSW high-calibre storage and transporation requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSW high-calibre storage and transporation requirements

Can anyone advise if there are any additional safe storage and transportation requirements for high-calibre pistols in NSW?

From a few people I know, I have heard that:

• the firearms must be temporarily incapable of being fired, even when stored in a safe (ie, use of trigger locks or removal of the action); and
    • that the firearms must be transported in a locked box tethered to the vehicle.

I have also heard that the conditions of storage and transportation are provided with the high-calibre pistol permit.

This strikes me as somewhat illogical, as when applying for the permit, an applicant needs to declare that (s)he has read and understands the safe keeping requirements applicable to high-calibre pistols.

On the FAR Web site, I cannot find anything in relation to safe storage and transportation for high-calibre pistols specifically.

Here is what is listed:

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about_us/structure/operations_command/firearms/permits/firearms_permits/high_calibre_pistol

The High Calibre Pistol Permit Fact Sheet states the following:

What safe storage is applicable to high calibre pistols?
    You must meet the safe keeping requirements applicable to category C, D and H licence holders (see FACT Sheet 'Safe Storage Level Two - Category C, D & H Requirements').
    Based on the fact sheet, my understanding is that no additional safe storage requirements apply above and beyond what applies to non-high-calibre pistols.

As for transportation, there is nothing in the fact sheet about that.

Can any high-cal permit holders provide any clarification?

I'm happy to contact the FAR on Monday, but any insight from permit holders in the mean time would be most welcome.

As far as I know nothing else is different, though I haven't really looked into it too much as I had never heard of additional requirements beyond the additional shoots.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• Xenedis
      Xenedis commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Morgo" post=45881
      As far as I know nothing else is different, though I haven't really looked into it too much as I had never heard of additional requirements beyond the additional shoots.
      Thanks for that.

From memory, you got your permit not too long ago.

Did yours specify anything in relation to scored competitions vs. practice shooting?

Clubs..............

Making more paper work for sporting shooters.

We are cop enough rubbish from F.A.R.

Thanks...

Comment

• Xenedis
      Xenedis commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Maverick" post=45889
      [color=#000000]Clubs… Making more paper work for sporting shooters.
      Not really.

The club needs to endorse one's application for a high-cal permit on one of the forms the applicant needs to send.

Ok, no worries Xenedis, sorry mate.

Thanks...

Comment

• Xenedis
      Xenedis commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries, Mav.

I've decided to finally submit my high-cal forms to the FAR.

I looked at the older forms I had printed and signed by the club, and they date back to June of 2012!

I won't be so slack this time -- the forms are going at the earliest opportunity.
Working...
X