Anyone got a carbine kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got a carbine kit?

Hi Guys I've been doing a bit of looking on one of that website from that store in QLD and stumbled upon a section filled with carbine kits for glocks and a vast range of other manufactures. Whats the go with these things are they legal??? They look like plenty of fun for just mucking around down at the range every now and then, but I don't really wanna go and buy one if its gonna land me in hot water. I personally cant see how its much different from a fully decked out charger but who knows.

Can anyone shed some light if they've got some experience with them. I'm in SA if that helps

Looks too fun to touch so it probably is

I know that in NSW the kits are legal to possess as is however they become illegal once fitted to a handgun, so you'd need to check your own state's regs very carefully.

Comment

• Jackboot_Johnny
      Jackboot_Johnny commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by GSR" post=44879
      I know that in NSW the kits are legal to possess as is however they become illegal once fitted to a handgun.
      That sounds about right lol

I've been searching through the act and regs but im not really 100%.... Its probably best to stay away.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by GSR" post=44879
      I know that in NSW the kits are legal to possess as is however they become illegal once fitted to a handgun, so you'd need to check your own state's regs very carefully.

Yup, expensive wallhanger Lol

They are legal in Qld obviously, contact your states weapons licencing/police and the store selling them if both say it's OK then go for it. Just make sure you get it in writing from your state authority.

Comment

Anybody know about the legality of these in VIC?

Comment

• Gidge
        Gidge commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. As long as OAL does not exceed 75cm, at which point it becomes a rifle in the eyes of the law

• Gidge
        Gidge commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by iShoot" post=55289
        Anybody know about the legality of these in VIC?
        Yep. As long as OAL does not exceed 75cm, at which point it becomes a rifle in the eyes of the law

I have some, Hera Arm and a Roni live in QLD. Great fun, always get plenty of people wanting a go. Hera kit is better than the Roni in quality and price. A few people have had problems with the Roni breaking the cocking Handel that fit on the slide.

Comment

I good old WA the coppers don't like the fit on kits but there is no stocks allowed to be on a hand gun ....

Comment

Check with your club as well. Our club doesn't like them at the range as it draws crabs. IMO I agree with them.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            crabs?

Qld oal 75 cmm
          NSW oal 65 cm but can not fit pistol to kit but can possess. If you live close to the boarder with QLD no problems as fit pistol at Qld range to use and have fun.

Other states not sure on oal but think 65 cm.

Comment

I will put it too you this way, In QLD i have it on good authority that Weapons licensing was out and is still out looking for "Decked out" chargers being shot on ranges. How do you think these would go down? as much as we all hate it part of the weapons act includes an appearance clause and if the authorised officer decides that they don't like the look thats it kaput.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Trapper" post=55687
              I will put it too you this way, In QLD i have it on good authority that Weapons licensing was out and is still out looking for "Decked out" chargers being shot on ranges. How do you think these would go down? as much as we all hate it part of the weapons act includes an appearance clause and if the authorised officer decides that they don't like the look thats it kaput.
              You can have something resembling a sub machine gun in appearance if it is a toy, if they don't think it is a toy you can just shove it up their and see if they get off. Just joking

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Trapper" post=55687
              The carbine kit was always a work around to circumvent cat c/d regulations. Whether you agree with those regulations or not. It was only a matter of time before WLB caught onto this and started looking out for decked out chargers and the like. I'm guessing there's gonna be some expensive carbine wall hangers in people's collections soon.

Hey all
            I don't know anywhere other then qld, but I know they are popular, they even sell them at some clubs. So the club is obviously ok with them being used there.
            In qld, as long as the concealeble firearm is shorter than 75 cm it's ok (think thats 65 in nsw) The law is a concealed firearm, not a pistol or handgun. The law is for anything under 75 cm. we just generally call a cat H a handgun license, which it is but it's anything shorter and concealable than a rifle or shotgun. (obv sawn off shotties do not become legal as a cat h).

Roni carbines for glock and others, Nordic and archangels for chargers, Hera triari and others for various models of firearm are quite popular at a variety of ranges I have attended.
            I think they're great and wish there was official competition for them (something like a basic IPSC stage that had accuracy based scores, steel targets available and times. Even if shot static and not moving would be great)(or a steel challenge stage))) they are no more or less accurate or anything than a handgun, thy just allow a different hold of the firearm which allows the shooter to potentially be more accurate.
            Especially in a 22 they certainly are not more dangerous or deadly than a met sill bolt Ction handgun chambered in 243 or 308' they are still a cat H concealed firearm, they are just designed to be shot seated or supported, but have 2-3-400 meter range!!

Just wish they weren't soo dear, especially as an addon for a glock or a firearm you don't have. Ie I don't have any interest in buying a glock or some of the firearms the chassis's are available for..

Just my 2 cents.

MM
            "shoot straight shoot quick"
            Coonan 357 Magnum semi Auto- like shooting a laser!!!!!

Comment

• Daniel1911
              Daniel1911 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Martymonster,

I'm a member at the SSAA Brisbane (Belmont) and I get given a hard time by the old boys every time I bring my tricked out Charger in its Nordic and Magpul furniture.

Are any of those carbine kit friendly clubs you refer to anywhere near Brisbane? I want to splash out on a Hera Arms Triari kit and a Glock 17A, but want to switch to a club that won't give me a hard time for bringing it down the range.

Originally posted by Jackboot_Johnny" post=44871
            Hi Guys I've been doing a bit of looking on one of that website from that store in QLD and stumbled upon a section filled with carbine kits for glocks and a vast range of other manufactures. Whats the go with these things are they legal??? They look like plenty of fun for just mucking around down at the range every now and then, but I don't really wanna go and buy one if its gonna land me in hot water. I personally cant see how its much different from a fully decked out charger but who knows.

Can anyone shed some light if they've got some experience with them. I'm in SA if that helps

Looks too fun to touch so it probably is
            Just been reading the 2013 Ammendment to the SA Firearms Act - carbine conversion kits are a specifically targeted unfortunately. Even a photo of one on the archaic SAPOL website.
            http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/sapol/services/firearms_weapons/firearms_amendments_2014.jsp
            Here's the bit from the amendment...

"2.1 Insertion of regulation 4A – Prohibited Firearm Accessories

A new regulation 4A has been inserted for the purposes of the definition of prohibited firearm accessory in section 5(1) of the Act, setting out two classes of prohibited items, namely:

Items that enable a firearm to have an automatic or other similar type firing capability;
            Items that give a firearm the appearance of being of a different class or firing capability;

Regulation 4A(1)(a) prescribes items that can be attached or fitted to a firearm to alter its firing operation or capability.

An example of a specific prohibited firearm accessory is a bump-fire stock that utilises the recoil of a firearm to facilitate rapid depressions of the trigger allowing numerous rounds of ammunition to be discharged in quick succession.

Regulation 4A(1)(b) prescribes items that can be fitted to or used in conjunction with a firearm to give it the appearance of being of a different class to its manufacture or of an automatic or prescribed firearm. They include firearm kits such as those known as pistol carbine conversion kits."
            “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. . .”
            ― King David

Comment

• Jackboot_Johnny
              Jackboot_Johnny commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks mate...

Was talking to someone about this the other day and they advised me as you have.

The fun police strike again

Would this fall under a similar category?

This is technically a pistol, as it is under 65cm OAL and can be fired with one hand. As long as you only use 10 round mags this is technically and legally a pistol.

Comment

• Varagner
              Varagner commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Rayder44" post=66892

Would this fall under a similar category?

This is technically a pistol, as it is under 65cm OAL and can be fired with one hand. As long as you only use 10 round mags this is technically and legally a pistol.
              Yes and no. You won't get it because customs and I don't think anymore needs to be said there.

You also won't get it because regardless of the pistol bufferstock the receivers are that of an AR-15 and thus make those parts Cat D which you can only own with a Cat D license. Were you to get a propriety semi auto .223 with non AR compatible receivers then it would be a different kettle of fish. Still have to get such a thing made locally to avoid the pestilence that is customs.

The SA change is a blow. I hope no other states jump on the bandwagon but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Comment

He's spot on there GCPC will probably source it for you if you ask. I know they sell them there and I have fired my friends there. Lots of fun value. It does not alter the function of the firearm, but it does give you more points of contact which allows you to hit 25-50m targets reliably like it was a pistol caliber carbine. It will not change the barrel length of course that remains the same. They are however a lot of fun. just be prepared to spend more on ammo. you can really chew it up with one of those. You just become that much more accurate. It's a lot of fun.
              "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

Working...
              X