Opinions on good .44 Mag revolvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on good .44 Mag revolvers

Hey all, I'm a few months away from being able to buy more handguns, and I want to get a decent .44 Mag in double action. I've narrowed it down to either the S&W 627 or the Ruger Super Blackhawk. I really like the look of the Taurus raging bull, but haven't heard many good things about them. Does anyone own or have used either the S&W or the Ruger? Maybe someone has had a positive experience with the Taurus and can change my mind?
    I'll be using it for metallic silhouette, bowling pins and the overall wank factor of having a .44 mag wheel gun. I want .44 mag because I can share ammo with my 1894, which saves having to keep yet another calibre in the ammo cabinet.
    So if you've had experience with one of the above, let me know what you think, cheers

PS - I know there are a lot of good S/A revolvers out there, but I am only looking for D/A

Anaconda - but I'm a Colt enthusiast

Not much to choose between S&W and the Ruger IMHO, I would take the Ruger if pushed,

my 2c
    If guns cause crime, then all mine are faulty - Ted Nugent

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Greenwich-biker" post=44527
      Anaconda - but I'm a Colt enthusiast

Not much to choose between S&W and the Ruger IMHO, I would take the Ruger if pushed,

my 2c
      I'd love the money for an anaconda too

I love my Ruger Super Redhawk. Smith triggers are easier to tune, but KG Custom in Brisbane can do wonders to the Ruger trigger.
    Attached Files
    “Dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others lying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.”

Comment

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      There is no sexier revolver than a S&W M29 or M629 with a 4" barrel. They are not as strong as the others but they are the coolest by far.

I run a 10&5/8 inch Model29 S&W.

I'm a Smith man....

The Ruger has to be ruled out, if you want a gun capable of double action.

A S&W it is!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Oddball" post=44569
      The Ruger has to be ruled out, if you want a gun capable of double action.
      What is wrong with a Ruger DA?

I would go for a 6" 629, mostly because of looks unless you can afford an anaconda or want a crap brand like Taurus which IMO look pretty cool.

If you want to use a lot of heavy loads the Ruger would be my bet.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Morgo" post=44610
      If you want to use a lot of heavy loads the Ruger would be my bet.
      I agree.
      Do Ruger make a double action 44 Revolver ?

Im biased to Anacondas. Heres my 2. A 6" Colt Custom Shop & a 4"

Comment

• Greenwich-biker
      Greenwich-biker commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^^ Haha - I knew Kav would chip in sooner or later.

How cool are those gats :lol:

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Kav" post=44643
      Im biased to Anacondas. Heres my 2. A 6" Colt Custom Shop & a 4"

Those are two VERY SEXY hand cannons

Hey martyphillips83,

You don't happen to work in the beer delivery business do you?

... and on topic, I've got an 8" custom shop Anaconda that I'm pretty happy with. Haven't tried it on MS yet but hope to in the new year. Got it from the US for a good price compared to local (if you can find one).
    Good thing I sandbagged the [email protected]#k out of that match or I'd be B Grade in Classic now too................

Comment

Sexiest 44 mag Available
      [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
      [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
      [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
      [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
      [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Morgo
        Morgo commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Shooting Sports" post=44688

Sexiest 44 mag Available
        Its a tank masquerading as a revolver

Smith & Wesson 629 - Very nice, and a lot of fun to shoot

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Dane" post=44916
        Smith & Wesson 629 - Very nice, and a lot of fun to shoot
        Very nice, a sexy beast indeed!

629-6 Classic 5 inch is what I have and it feels great in the hand make sure you get some hogue grips though

Comment

I'm a Smith man and would love a 629 though The SRH (Super Red Hawk) is a beast especially with factory rings and a nice scope. They are just a monster of a revolver.

Comment

The King of 44 mag revolvers is and always will be Dirty Harry's Model 29 Smith and Wesson.

Comment

• Xenedis
            Xenedis commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Movealongnothingtoseehere" post=45322
            The King of 44 mag revolvers is and always will be Dirty Harry's Model 29 Smith and Wesson.
            Well, it is the most powerful handgun in the weeerld, and it'll blow your head clean orrrf.

Do ya feel lucky, punk?

Originally posted by martyphillips83" post=44525
          Hey all, I'm a few months away from being able to buy more handguns, and I want to get a decent .44 Mag in double action. I've narrowed it down to either the S&W 627 or the Ruger Super Blackhawk.
          I presume you meant S&W 629, as the 627 is a .357 Magnum.

I'd personally be going for a S&W 629 with a 6.5" barrel. I prefer revolver barrel lengths to be in the 6-8" region. I haven't fired a 4" .44 Magnum, but I'd imagine the felt recoil would be more substantial with a shorter barrel length.

In terms of brand, while I'm a Smith fan, Smiths, Colts and Rugers are all good, and I think you'd be delighted with any of them.

Comment

Yep. that's the one!

Comment

Personally I'm a Colt man, sold my S&W 29 when the Anaconda came out, hindsight the 29 was an overall better performer so my call would be the S&W .

Comment

Working...
              X