S & W 686-3 rear sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S & W 686-3 rear sight

Picked up my 686-3 this week (after waiting 5 weeks for the additionals) and went to the range today. From 25 metres she's a little high i.e just outside the bull. Lowered the rear sight and after maybe 5 'clicks it was bottomed out and still hitting high. What's the go / remedy people. Thanks.

Regards

Originally posted by Raptor84" post=38408
    Picked up my 686-3 this week (after waiting 5 weeks for the additionals) and went to the range today. From 25 metres she's a little high i.e just outside the bull. Lowered the rear sight and after maybe 5 'clicks it was bottomed out and still hitting high. What's the go / remedy people. Thanks.

Regards
    Are you a new or experienced shooter? If new, get an experienced shooter to see how it goes.

If expereienced, you have 2 options if you want the same sight picture. Raise the front sight, ie new blade, or lower the rear sight, by a different rear sight blade. That is it!

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor84" post=38408

Regards
      Try sighting in from 10 metres first, see the shoots as thy hit, ensure you have a perfect sight picture, all lined up, then try 15 metres and see just where the rounds land.

Comment

Did you try going the other way?

Comment

• Yoshie
          Yoshie commented
          Editing a comment
          dose it have a adjustable front? i may be sighted in for 100m for silhouette.

Thanks to all above who replied, Did the 10, 15 mtr thing ( still somewhat high) and all was good, It is a second hand gun (but beautiful) with trigger and hammer work (maybe 3 ib trigger) so yes could be 100 metre. Front sight is not adjustable and she did come with tray and speed loaders. So competion firearm???

Regards

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Stick up a photo of the gun side on and also a close up of the rear sight from side and back if you can.
          Will be easier to see if there is an issue with the sight and what type it is.

Regards Murph

Hopefull I got this right people
        Attached Files

Comment

And one why I love her. Enjoy.

Regards
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, people, I just compared the rear sight to my wife's 686-6. What she noticed, and was right, is my rear sight is longer in overall length and hangs out the rear by at least 2 mm. Make sense for a 50-100 metre comp??

Regards

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              OK so you've got a late -3 series 686. The factory changed the topstrap cut for the rear sight on the -3 series to the newer style 'lollypop' rear sight assembly mid production on the -3 series.. The -3 series still retained the fixed front sight so not much can be done there unless you want to machine the existing ramp off and make a 'woodruff' cut into the sight riser to fit a lower height front sight.

You could look at lowering the height of the rear sight blade from the 'factory' .160 blade to a .146 which will lower the point of impact. a .004 reduction in blade height roughly translates to a 1/4 inch @ 25 yards. Rear sight blade kits are available in .126, .146 and .160 in plain black blade and white outline. We have these kits available 'off the shelf'.

Well, thank you Grycol. From one engineer to another yes I could cut a 'woodruff' key way. BUT to to do that to this baby would be sacriledge. I will pm you regarding which rear I want as I want to participate in some WAPA events that go out from 50 mtrs. Going back to range tomorrow and hopefully a WAPA buddy of mine will be there. I will try the 50 mtr range also.

Many thanks

Regards

Comment

Might be a silly question but have you disassembled the rear sight and given it a clean out, could be some crud underneath preventing it travelling any further.

Comment

If you are playing the accuracy games, its only a matter of time before you are looking at a new undercut front sight blade. Red ramp is not effective, to achieve the best possible results at 50m.

Comment

Working...
                X