Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm Major

FYI;
    This is also to be noted, my 9mm handgun is rated for major loads, CZ Czechmate, fully supported barrel and hence my loading is for pistols so designed, otherwise you may have an issue.

Today 1 December 2013 a hot, 32 degree, almost nil wind day. Little river/Eagle Park, time 2:10pm. Chronograph results. Tested 3 rounds each; Using 3 once fired Speers cases, 3 once fired Winchester and 3 * 25 times fired reloaded junk.
    My aim was to make MAJOR power factor 160. All 9 rounds using Federal Small Rifle Primers, AP100. I closely examined all cases once fired, ALL in excellent condition, primers still in place, no bulges, NO slits. perfect for reuse. The CZ Czechmate is in perfect condition.
    Yes the cases look full with 7grs, AP100, they seat easily and reliably, OAL = 1.13. On hot day slightly higher results are obtained.

First 3: 6.9 Grns AP100, 125grn conical, SRP, 1239/1268/1248 Fps, = 156.4 PF. FAIL
    Second: 7:0 grns AP100, 135 Round nose, SRP; 1237/1243/1228 = 166.8 PF Fantastic, way to go.
    Last; 7.0grns AP100, 125 Conical, SRP, 1255/1261/1260 = 157Pf. Still fail,

Looks good for our Christmas shoot and I will load 7.2/3 grns, 125 Conical and see how it goes. Possibly better using a 125grn than 135grn projectile, for Victorian and SA open early next year.

Lead or jacketed projectiles?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Silly me that was an oversight, I used Westcasting conical 125 and 135 Hawksbury River.
      I have never ever used Copper Jacketed, to many ranges in Australia will not allow them, I once used copper wash in my SP-01, but by far I prefer the two above.

Good stuff! My 167PF using 7.3gn AP100, 125gn Topscore conical and SRP's was recorded in the cold at the NSW titles this year so I'll be interested to see what the same load will make for you in the summer.
    Good thing I sandbagged the [email protected]#k out of that match or I'd be B Grade in Classic now too................

Comment

Good work Susan,

I really should get back to running my open glock
      Have a workable 125gr CN load (7.0gr AP100) but I also want to develop a load
      for 135gr RN. Just spending too much time loving my G34 in standard.
      Looks this might be revisited for 2014

Keep us updated on your progress an happy shooting.

Regards Murph

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Complete Metal Jacket are usually ok at most ranges but often Full Metal Jacket and sometimes it's derivatives are not.

excellent thanks for the info guys, great to read.

couple of questions?

Have you chronod any factory +p+ rounds to see how they compare? just wondering as many guns are rated for limited use +p+ but should be ok, so i was just wondering how your loads would compare the hot fancy factory rounds.

Also, do you get much or any more leading on the barrel than when running lighter loads? purely out of interest!!

Thanks guys

MM
      "shoot straight shoot quick"
      Coonan 357 Magnum semi Auto- like shooting a laser!!!!!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Martymonster" post=37406
        excellent thanks for the info guys, great to read.

couple of questions?

Have you chronod any factory +p+ rounds to see how they compare? just wondering as many guns are rated for limited use +p+ but should be ok, so i was just wondering how your loads would compare the hot fancy factory rounds.

Also, do you get much or any more leading on the barrel than when running lighter loads? purely out of interest!!

Thanks guys

MM
        To begin with in the past 20+ years I have been shooting in completion, in various styles, I have never ever purchased 1 round of factory ammunition, I am shooting at paper targets, or pepper poppers and I am always mindful of the recoil of the firearm, to get in the immediate second shot.
        I have never ever when running any load in the dozens of handguns I have owned ever had any leading, I se no way this could occur.

Recoil in handguns is easily identified by using a load, magnum or +p holding the handgun in your strong hand, arm extended and firing one shot, notice the handgun rise, it depends how far by the load, .357 magnum it rises quite a height, DEPENDING on your build and strength in your arm.

Further, no I have never chronoed a p+p or any other factory ammunition but I assure you I would reluctantly shot a MAJOR load though any pistol I owned, that was snot specifically built to sustain the high pressure of a p+p round, check with the ADI handbook, loading pressures.
        I have shot some 9mm +p rounds, no big deal there, not that hot, used by some, shall we say not in our location.
        9mm is not really designed for P+p I would rather shoot my Sig, in 9mm, I am certain it will take most any load with ease, its just the recoil and i would rather then switch to a .40cal if I was getting serious, also a great fan of the Desert eagle 9mm, just can't justify it, or its big brother.

Hello!
      I crony'd a +p+ 9x19 the other day out of a Browning Hi power. It was a WCC headstamp (Winchester?). It came out doing 1285fps. It was noticeably hotter than a standard factory load.
      Pilch303
      Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Pilch303" post=37415
        Hello!
        I crony'd a +p+ 9x19 the other day out of a Browning Hi power. It was a WCC headstamp (Winchester?). It came out doing 1285fps. It was noticeably hotter than a standard factory load.
        Pilch303
        The ole 2Z came out about 1350fps with a 115gn projie. I wouldnt describe that WCC stuff as +P+ ammo.
    Working...
    X