What factory ammo do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What factory ammo do you use?

Only recently buying my first pistol (STI Torjan in 9mm) I haven't had very much experience with different ammo. I was just curious what other people used... when you google this stuff it's mostly american brands a lot of which are hard to find here.

The first ammo I bought was Geco 124gr FMJ, had absolutely no trouble running them, not a single in the 1000 was a dud. However I did find that they left a whole heap of metallic flakes behind in the gun - which is a pain to clean out.

I just went to my LGS today and decided to try out two other brands Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and Sellior and Bellot 124gr FMJ. I haven't hit the range with either yet, but I'll post an update once I do.

In the meantime it'd be great to hear what other people out there use.

What pistol club are you shooting with, usually there is someone at a club who makes their own ammunition, DO NOT ever buy factory made, its to dear and 99% of club ammo is perfect and you pistol will never know the difference, your wallet will.

Comment

I used American Eagle 38 Super +P 115gn JHP. That's the only factory ammo I can use at my club as we can't use FMJ

Comment

When I first started I used American Eagle and PMC from memory, worked fine but quickly got sorted to reload my own.

I don't recommend using other peoples reloads unless your confident in their reloading skills.
        “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Morgo" post=33735
          ...I don't recommend using other peoples reloads unless your confident in their reloading skills.
          This I suspect being the inspiration for your entertaining "kabooom" picture gallery on the old forum?

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Morgo" post=33735
          When I first started I used American Eagle and PMC from memory, worked fine but quickly got sorted to reload my own.

I don't recommend using other peoples reloads unless your confident in their reloading skills.
          Totally agree with this post, the information tells you a great deal, very useful information, load your own and buy your own loading equipment, it pays for itself quickly of as this information provide do you trust the person whom you are getting your reloads from, if yes get if no next option.

I've been keeping my brass when I go to the range on my own (it's a bit too hard when shooting in comps).

I was thinking after going through 2000 - 3000 rounds I should have enough brass to reload. Good thing is my club has its own reloading setup they let the members use.

But this stuff hasn't been that expensive, picked up the geco for $14 a box, S&B for $19 per box and Fiocchi for $20 per box. If I reload using the clubs equipment (they provide everything but the brass) its $15 per box.

Comment

I bought 1000 ppu JHP for $400. They run fine in my shadow.

I'll likely shoot another 1000 if I can get them then start reloading my own. The cost difference isn't that much if you factor in the cost of buying new brass.

30 cents for new brass vs 40 cents for a loaded round. 10 cents doesn't buy a projectile, powder and primer in the quantities I've been buying them.

Comment

• DanG
            DanG commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a mix of Magtech 143 grn lead nose, Winchester White box 115grn FMJ 100 round packs, Geco 124grn FMJ
            and ultratech 134grn lead nose,

i generally pay about 30-35 cents per round (or 300-350 per thousand)

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by dansedgli" post=33861
            I bought 1000 ppu JHP for $400. They run fine in my shadow.

I'll likely shoot another 1000 if I can get them then start reloading my own. The cost difference isn't that much if you factor in the cost of buying new brass.

30 cents for new brass vs 40 cents for a loaded round. 10 cents doesn't buy a projectile, powder and primer in the quantities I've been buying them.

I only ever bought 500 rounds of factory (Magtech) to run my gun in when new (4 years ago). Have not bought a single bit of brass since. On top of what I've been given by other people, and what I've picked up/been given back in comps I've always had plenty. Plus if you're shooting 9mm and don't have the case flare set too large (can cause neck splits), you'll wear off the headstamps before the brass wears out...that original magtech stuff is still going strong Lol

I used S/B factory for a while never had an issue unfortunately my supply of cheap ammo dried up. Now using reloads from a guy at my club

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Check to see if your club has any projectile restrictions (e.g. No FMJ) before you buy in bulk.

I started off with the Geco 124 gr and had no problems with them in my USP. I tried some of the Winchester factory reloads after that and they were a bit to weak to cycle the gun properly with every 3rd round or so having a malfunction.

Ive now been using the Remington UMC and have had a couple of malfunctions,one of them has had the primer put in sideways or something strange.

I have about 3000 brass cases now though so I need to get my myself a 650 and start reloading.

Also I personally would never use another persons reloaded in my guns.
          Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

Try Ultra Tech if in NSW Try PBA Imports they stock.. or start the reloading journey... its worth it...

Comment

Once fired brass around $100 per 1000 is the way to go when you need brass.

When I started, which is not all that long ago really, centrefire brass could still be found laying about on the range. These days I'm more likely to find it under my clothes line than at the range.
              “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
              X