Service Match Holster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Match Holster

Just after some clarification as to if the DAA race master holster is suitable & adheres to the rules for Service Match & WA1500? I attended the police & services games in April and a couple of older guys got a bit cranky about the speed holsters as apparently they have to have a loop over the backstrap? I saw some shooters with a bit of paracord from their belt to bottom of holster to comply?

This is what im thinking of buying for my custom 38, already running a RaceMaster for my Wilson Combat

I use a ghost holster and have never had a problem, in fact when I first did my holster accreditation instructor was happy with the retension without using the locking device.
    As far as I know about the only requirements are that it retain the pistol securely and the trigger guard is covered. Someone else might be more up to speed and be able to add more info.

Comment

without looking at the rules I believe it is as 220 said secure and trigger covered.

I've heard of shooters being asked to do a jump test to prove the pistol is retained but this may have been in IPSC.

I'll try to find the rule and post it here

Steve

Comment

Holster - Explanations
        Unsafe Holsters - part 1
        Service, S/ 4.2.6.5 Unsafe Holsters: Match Officials are required to prohibit the unsafe use of any holster by any competitor. Therefore, in choosing a holster, and the position and manner in which it will be worn, a competitor should give due regard to the safety regulations in order to ensure that his choices are safely consistent with his personal shooting style and stance.
        WA1500, 3.3.1. Holsters must be safe and serviceable, suited to the firearm, and worn in a position that does not allow the holstered pistol to be directed at any part of the shooter. 3.3.2. When selecting a holster, the position and manner in which it will be worn, a shooter should give due regard to the safety regulations in order to ensure that his choices are safely consistent with his personal shooting style and stance.
        Although it may not be specifically in the rules, AT NO TIME MAY A LOADED PISTOL BE DIRECTED AT ANY PART OF THE SHOOTER OR ANY OTHER PERSON! This should not need a specific rule – it is part of the normal range safety expectations expected of all shooters at all times, irrespective of the discipline being conducted.
        This INCLUDES when the firearm is holstered!
        This is of particular concern in relation to shooters who wear the holster well forward of the point of the hip. While of itself this may not appear to case a problem when the shooter is standing in a normal stance, depending on the shooter’s ‘personal shooting style and stance’ the holstered pistol might be directed at the inside of the leg when the shooter takes up a shooting stance for the commencement of a series – not allowed!.

Unsafe Holsters - part 2
        The rules (e.g. ‘…the position and manner in which it will be worn, a competitor should give due regard to the safety regulations in order to ensure that his choices are safely consistent with his personal shooting style and stance…’) apply to the holster/belt combination; not only to the holster.
        If the belt does not adequately control the holster when the shooter is drawing the firearm, it could produce a safety problem.

Unsafe Holsters - part 3
        Service, 5.1.10 the Jury has the right to examine the pistols, equipment, positions, etc., of shooters at any time, even during the competition. During the competition, approach should not be made while the shooter is firing a shot or a series of shots. Immediate action must be taken when a matter of safety is involved.
        This rule is written in the context of PA National Championships – the responsibility for ‘…immediate action…’ is not limited to the Jury at a Nationals – it is everybody’s responsibility.

For WA1500

The rule says as per service rules

Steve

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what some of the oldies were banging on about

https://sitedesq.imgstg.com/assets/console/news/attachments/APSMRULE.06.pdf

If that's what's written it seems pretty clear and pretty hard to argue

Steve

Comment

If that's what's written it seems pretty clear and pretty hard to argue

By the way, how did you shoot?

Steve

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah not bad got the 2014 Australasian Police & Service Games coming up in April next year

http://www.apandesgames.com.au/customdata/index.cfm?fuseaction=CustomItem&ItemID=57780

PA service match rules are. Import sly different to Police and Services rules....

However, if I can find a copy of the current rules, the securing by a strap ruling is gone.....

When I find it I will post it.

Thanks

Oddball

Comment

Hey Kav,

I have entered both days for the games as well. Will be using a DAA Race Master both days. Thanks for raising this, I will ask a few more questions of the organisers, but a Race Master with the locking lever engaged is a hell of a lot more secure than one with a bit of paracord!

Will let you know what I find out.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mook.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by mook05" post=30377
              Hey Kav,

I have entered both days for the games as well. Will be using a DAA Race Master both days. Thanks for raising this, I will ask a few more questions of the organisers, but a Race Master with the locking lever engaged is a hell of a lot more secure than one with a bit of paracord!

Will let you know what I find out.
              I'm planning on shooting the matches also. See you there.

Got an email back saying that as long as the trigger is covered and the holster passes the IPSC retention test then it will be fine. Race Master holster definitely passes the retention test provided the locking lever is engaged, and definitely covers the trigger. I'll be keeping that email on my phone just in case it comes up at the games

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool thanks Mook! Yeah show that email to them and give em a tube of rectanol

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by mook05" post=31605
              Got an email back saying that as long as the trigger is covered and the holster passes the IPSC retention test then it will be fine. Race Master holster definitely passes the retention test provided the locking lever is engaged, and definitely covers the trigger. I'll be keeping that email on my phone just in case it comes up at the games
              What IPSC retention test are you reffering to? There isn't one in IPSC

************************************************** ************************************************** ****

mook05, good to see you had a win on your holster.

I'd love too see the look on their faces when someone tries to disallow your holster.

You then show them your email to say it's allowed, it would gold to see.

Thanks...

************************************************** ************************************************** ****

Comment

Working...
            X