Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a .357 Desert Eagle?

G'day again everyone.
    i'm looking to get into pistol shooting and have decided that my first will be a Browning Hi-Power, legendary gun.
    and looking into the future haha i think i'd like a .357 Desert Eagle, just wondering if anyone has one and could shed some light as to how they handle etc.
    they look heavy

Hi what type of pistol shooting are you looking at doing?

The Browning is great, but not the best in any type of pistol shooting that I know.

THE Desert Eagle is a great semi, not ideal for pistol shooting.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Um im really not sure mate, what types of pistol shooting is there?
      I think id like the Desert Eagle just because, Itd be nice to have a hand cannon

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by susanwest" post=27359
      Hi what type of pistol shooting are you looking at doing?

The Browning is great, but not the best in any type of pistol shooting that I know.

THE Desert Eagle is a great semi, not ideal for pistol shooting.
      On what grounds do you say they are not ideal for pistol shooting?

Got one in 357 love it,
    Handles rather well for the size and is very accurate

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      how the hell are you allowed one above 9mm?
      cheers guys for the responses. ive heard youve gotta load quite hot and heavy to get it to cycle correctly which isnt a prob as ive got a .357 Marlin 1894c that uses pretty strong loads

• codebasher
      codebasher commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Kong2379" post=27380
      Got one in 357 love it,
      Handles rather well for the size and is very accurate
      Same here

I would recommend looking into what pistol sport you want to pursue before making a decision on what pistol you want. You can't have a pistol "Just because" in Australia.

Once you've found something your into, then you find a pistol tailored to that sport.

While the Deagle is cool gun, it isn't really useful for anything... Except maybe metallic silhouette, but if your going to go down that path, you might as well get a high-caliber license for a .44 magnum DE or something.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah mate im fully aware you cant have one "just because" if i had written that down on any of my applications i wouldn't be shooting
      the reasons the same as why anyone needs a .357 Mag, be it range or knockdown power
      probably Prac Pistol, thats why i thought the Hi-Power would be good for that

The DE is more of a fun gun, the Hi power is a great gun but Id get a wheel gun before a DE. But that is just me, its your sport to and you can do what makes you happy. Oh and you need some bear paws to shoot the DE damn big grip.
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

Not sure about IPSC, but I don't see why a Browning HP couldn't be used for Prac pistol. It's no different to any other SAO pistol (1911, Sig X5, etc) which are popular choices for standard and open division.

Comment

Does anyone have a Desert Eagle, is that really a question?

While they are not really practical for most shooting events here they are quite good quality handguns. They are a SAO (single action only) and the trigger is quite good. They will also shoot very tight small groups once you learn to shoot them.
        They don't like being limp wristed, they will jam for most new shooters because they don't know how to shoot them, you need a firm grip.
        A moderate to heavy load will get them going fine, you can run max loads all day if you want to though you will probably stop after 100 or so Factory 158gn stuff runs fine too.
        They are great fun gun, really hard to beat in this area being a semi auto .357 or larger hand cannon.

The Hi Power is a good handgun as well
        “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Morgo" post=27436
          Does anyone have a Desert Eagle, is that really a question?

While they are not really practical for most shooting events here they are quite good quality handguns. They are a SAO (single action only) and the trigger is quite good. They will also shoot very tight small groups once you learn to shoot them.
          They don't like being limp wristed, they will jam for most new shooters because they don't know how to shoot them, you need a firm grip.
          A moderate to heavy load will get them going fine, you can run max loads all day if you want to though you will probably stop after 100 or so Factory 158gn stuff runs fine too.
          They are great fun gun, really hard to beat in this area being a semi auto .357 or larger hand cannon.

The Hi Power is a good handgun as well
          cheers mate ive got big hands so it shouldnt be a problem haha

I will be buying one very soon. My wife actually wants it and for it to be pink, I'm serious. The 357 will be nothing like my old 50AE, but that's what happens when others believe they know best for us.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Serious question for Morgo…..

Is there ANYTHING you don't own??? You have the sweetest blade collection and seem to produce pictures of more of your handguns and longarms on request

Badass….

• Harry
          Harry commented
          Editing a comment
          I have two mark VII's in 357. Great pistols use them for what ever match you want - not real competitive though just a hell of a lot of fun.

I have read that some people think they are a terrible first gun, but after the great handgun steal back I handed in my one and only pistol and went out and bought a 357 desert eagle. Hell of a trade has brought me a lot of satisfaction over the years - miss that 45 though

Cheers
          Harry

Mate if your in Western Australia go down to Orange Grove Shooting Complex its in the old quarry in the hills near Armadale

Nick Holcz is the guy you want to see down there, they will help you with whatever you want to know, great club and good group of guys having fun

They shoot Metallic Silhouette there and IPSC including Practical Shotgun which allows you to own a C cat Shotgun for that match in Western Australia (Of all States)

They will put you through all the training and get you up to a good standard

My 1st pistol was a CZ 75 SP-01 and was a great starter highly recommended but I cant comment on the Hi Power

I am over in QLD now and things over here are so so much better good luck and have fun dealing with firearms branch

Regards

Dan

Comment

But if you just want to own a Desert Eagle .357 to shoot go down to Lone Rangers join up there and shoot field pistol in their booths all day long..

Alot of people diss them but their alright, while you are going through the process of getting your cat H you can shoot their firearms but if you get a police clearance and fully pay for your own handgun they will allow you to use your own gun not tied onto those silly straps..

The good thing about them is there open everyday so you can go when you want

Comment

Her in her holster

Comment

• Morgo
              Morgo commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Winchester" post=33574
              Her in her holster

Nice one, it somehow looks smaller in the holster

Is there any way one could legally own a deagle in .50AE in QLD? High caliber or collectors licence perhaps?
            Roses are red, mud is brown, Windows up, loud pedal down!

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              If you're after a .357 in a semi-auto I would suggest taking a look at the Coonan .357's. They're a really well made pistol, and if you're looking at price, they're on par with the DE's. Unless you're just after that classic DE look, in which case, no-one will change your mind. I personally don't like them, but in saying that, I've never owned one, only seen them at the range from time to time. At the end of the day, it's your money, and your pistol so buy whatever makes you happy. If we all went off the opinions of others we'd all be shooting those gawd-awful plastic Austrian made thingies that everyone raves on about.
              Buy what makes you happy I reckon. It's not like you'll lose much value on it if you decide it's not the pistol for you and go to sell it down the track.

99% of mine have been coated lead, never had an issue.
            “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• glock40sw
              glock40sw commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks.
              I have heard horror stories of gas ports getting blocked and haveing to send the gun back to the maker to be fixed at huge expense.

If you use plain lead it sure will. I've heard guys in the US clog them up with very few rounds of plain lead, couple boxes or so.
            I've put many many 1000's through mine of coated lead reloads and it is still extremely reliable, it is an Israeli made model though

Comment

It would be nice with a 14" barrel, never seen them for sale here though. While the gun itself is accurate most people I see shoot in radians.

Comment

• jhonvdp
                jhonvdp commented
                Editing a comment
                Here's a 357 Mag on Usedguns from Magnum Sports
                http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=22588

• Morgo
                Morgo commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Chris" post=44398
                It would be nice with a 14" barrel, never seen them for sale here though. While the gun itself is accurate most people I see shoot in radians.
                14" barrels pop up for sale every so often but generally attached to a DE or they go for very high prices.
            Working...
            X