Dry Firing training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Firing training

Who here does it, what do you do and what you recommend doing? I have seen a number of system such as barrel laser and targets as well, the issue seems to be that the lasers are 5 MW+ which means customs wont allow them. There doesnt seem to be anything in Australia suitable either but if there was I would love to know.

Originally posted by kz7" post=24469
    Who here does it, what do you do and what you recommend doing? I have seen a number of system such as barrel laser and targets as well, the issue seems to be that the lasers are 5 MW+ which means customs wont allow them. There doesnt seem to be anything in Australia suitable either but if there was I would love to know.
    Any dry firing, is good training. Take a look at Rika.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I used a kids water spray gun and used it empty as it was about the same poundage as a pistol or close to it.
      Yes it sounds silly but it helped me a lot....my family thought I had lost my marbles, but my scores went up about 25%.

Thanks for that clarification fishphillott

Its good to see abit of commonsense from them, if were trusted to own a firearm i see no issue with us owning a laser

Goddamn kids pointing lasers at plans and choppers..

I did alot of flying in NZ and I don't know if you have ever been in a plane or chopper when a laser hits it but you loose all vision and it throws you off something bad..

not good when your on finals below 500FT over a small town

Comment

Are you talking revolver or sa?

Snap caps allow you to dry fire without damaging any relevant gun parts. Various laser systems allow you to see the point of impact, but you still need to pull the trigger and with some modern guns (including Glock) the manufacturers do not recommend excessive dry firing (without a snap cap or similar).
      "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
      Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

I was looking at something like the Sure Strike laser system . Basically a firing pin activated laser. I called Customs who said if its over 5mW its not allowed. Yet under Qld law a registered owner of firearm can have an associated laser pointer under 10mW

The amendments restricts the possession and use of a laser pointer with an output greater than 1 milliwatt to persons with a genuine reasonable excuse. A reasonable excuse is defined in the Act and allows members of recognised astronomical organisations and people who have genuine occupational reasons to have possession of a laser pointer with a power output of less than 20 milliwatts. Firearms licensees who have possession of a firearm that has the capacity to use a laser pointer with a power output of less than 10 milliwatts will also be considered a reasonable excuse. The possession and use of laser pointers for any purpose will not be restricted where the laser pointer is less than 1 milliwatt. The regulation of laser pointers will align Queensland with other Australian jurisdictions and the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulation 1956 (Cth) which restricts the importation of laser pointers.

The issue is whether Customs will accept that when they say anything over 5mW is prohibited. I will ring WLB tomorrow and run through this again before calling Customs.

Update

Requires Ministerial approval and testing by Customs under Specific use. Suggested by customs that it was going to be an expensive exercise in futility.

Comment

What pistol are you using and which matches are you practicing for?

Comment

• 1960Python
            1960Python commented
            Editing a comment
            SureStrike
            Laser Spec Class 3a, Up to 5mW, 635-650nm wavelength

I have brought in laser bore sighters without any issue from VicPol or Customs.

Don't think you will have any issues wi this system
            If you are keen on trhe SS I know a site where the 9mm price is US$146 delivered to AU.
            I am waiting for my B709 before I order.

I've started drying firing as much as I can each week, always with the appropriate snap cap.

Comment

• dansedgli
            dansedgli commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you please post the link 1960 python?

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi
            Unless its a rimfire you dont need snap caps to dry fire, but they help with incorporating mag handling.

What you are looking for when dry fiering is:
            Gun control, Grip & keeping the gun steady
            Focus on the foresight
            Breath
            Trigger Controll, Squeeze, NOT PULL the trigger
            Follow through
            Rythm

You do this by picking a dot or mark on the wall some 5m or so away
            Raise you gun and focus on the fore sight
            get a good sight picture and squeeze your shot away
            during this keep focusing on the foresight and maintain your sight picture before, during and after the hammer drops.
            If there are any errors you should be able to see where the barrel dips or rises and the direction and call it.
            From here you build up rhythm for faster timed events.

The first step to becoming a good shooter is gaining the ability to call the fall of your shot.
            basically when you stuff up flinch etc, to know where the shot went on the target.

dansedgli - have sent you the link
          "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
          Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

If you've had proper training to start with, sure , dry firing is great.

If you've no idea what you're on about, dry firing can cement "bad grip", "jerking/flinching" and other bad habits.

"Muscle memory" is not a myth.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Nalioth" post=26621
              If you've had proper training to start with, sure , dry firing is great.

If you've no idea what you're on about, dry firing can cement "bad grip", "jerking/flinching" and other bad habits.

"Muscle memory" is not a myth.
              This I agree with.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't know what everyone else is trying to achieve but dry firing for me is all about the trigger squeeze and reinforcing what I should be doing.
              Usually use the back side of a target so I have a nice blank matt backdrop without any distractions like a bullseye or aiming point. Focus 100% on having the front sight perfectly aligned in the back sight and not disturbing anything while squeezing the trigger.
              I'm not trying to see how well I can hold or anything else so where I am aiming is unimportant.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I usually do dry fire for IPSC in my garage using 2/3 size targets, disposal plastic plates and and the app 'dry fire timer' on my iphone but it has been too hot of recent so I have been using these programs on the computer to take advantage of the air conditioning.

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5

http://gunbot.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/gunaim-powerpoint-dryfire-deck/

The Matt Burkett (Predator Tacticle) one has a mover and a variable speed swinger which is handy and you can also move the barricade. Unfortunately most of the targets are metric but its better than nothing.

Dry fire is one of the best training aids. It will help with trigger control, sight alignment, follow through, grip, stance and mag changes. Many of the top guys in IPSC/ USPSA etc use it. It costs you nothing. Brian Enos and Ben Stoeger have both written about this and have books, forums and web sites you can get onto. It really does seperate the top level of competitors.

Comment

• PWD
              PWD commented
              Editing a comment
              The old US Army "Wall Drill" works too. Hang a target just past the end of your muzzle, so you have a close background surface in order to see the slightest front sight movement (or you could use a wall, which is where the name came from, but a target is much safer). It also blanks out any distractions in your field of view. Adopt your normal shooting stance and move until the muzzle is touching the target, then back off just a few mm. Now work on how much trigger effort it takes to drop the hammer or striker, without the front sight moving. Concentrate on moving the trigger finger tip straight to the rear, with the minimum amount of effort it takes to fire the action. Repeat, repeat, repeat and grow some muscle memory for your trigger action.

Regards
              Paul D

What do you guys think about those generic calibre-specific laser boresighters, eg Laser Boresighter?

Are they of any use - aligned correctly etc

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=26649
              What do you guys think about those generic calibre-specific laser boresighters, eg Laser Boresighter?

I think you would be wasting your money.. more gimmick then practical.

You take your hand gun out of your safe and do 20min - 1hr dry fire at mark or reduced target on the wall, put it away, simple.

• 1960Python
              1960Python commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by TheOtherLeft" post=26649

Laser bore sighters have nothing to do with Dry-Firing.

Anyone who is critical of dry-firing as a training aid has no understanding of the reasons for using it.
              The basic aim is to keep the gun as steady as possible with as little barrel sway as possible. One
              pro trainer actually places an empty cartridge on the front sight with the goal of NOT having it fall when
              the trigger is pressed.
          Working...
          X