Colt 22 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt 22 1911

Has anyone had any shooting time with the newish Colt 22 1911? Just would like to know if they are worth getting?
    Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

I picked one up on saturday last so far i have had 50 remington 50 cci 50 federal and 50 mixed through it i was concerned that the blurb said it likes minimax cci no problems with any so far so good

Comment

Are you talking the government model or another?

Comment

Was thinking the gold cup model because of the adjustable sights and all.

Comment

Have a look through ozzireviews on youtube or on here, pretty sure he did a video review on one.
          Regards Peter.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            There are some cheap ones on abused guns....

I have the standard model. Works well. Being full size you can practice grip etc. Has the odd problem with some standard velocity ammo. Just about to try some high velocity to see what it likes best. Trigger is a bit notchy - will probably get someone to do a job on that in due course.

Overall I quite like it.

Comment

• Tornado-Technologies
            Tornado-Technologies commented
            Editing a comment
            For what it's worth, and not to crap on the guys who already have them, these are Colt in name only. They're made in Germany by Umarex. Whilst the ones I've shot ran well, they're definitely not made to last.

I must admit they don't seem to be build as solid as your standard 1911. Another worry I got is that the ally slide is far from proving itself but I might still give one a chance.

Comment

Sounds similar to the M&P in .22, made by Walther which also has an alloy slide.

Comment

• dansedgli
              dansedgli commented
              Editing a comment
              Is getting a centre fire 1911 a possibility? I'd run with a aftermarket upper.

My STI branded tactical solutions upper was all steel and ran great.

• Tornado-Technologies
              Tornado-Technologies commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by zhuk" post=22948
              Sounds similar to the M&P in .22, made by Walther which also has an alloy slide.
              They're actually advertised as being made by Walther, as Uramex own Walther.

Most of the Uramex designs started of as airsoft guns and were adapted to shoot .22lr.

I'm no expert being new to pistol shooting , but here is my opinion on the Colt 22. I have the rail gun version and have put around 500 rounds through mine over 4 shoots.

I wanted a 1911, but as a beginner also wanted a gun that would be cheap to shoot, feel good, reliable, and reasonably accurate. Didn't want to get into reloading right away, and wanted to be able to put a lot of rounds down range to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship. I also considered a number of other 1911 22's (GSG, Sig, Browning).

Cons:

1. When the gun was brand new, the slide stop was engaging prematurely with 1 round remaining on a few occasions. It was not specific to any given magazine. After a good clean and froglube it has performed perfectly since.

2. Loves CCI mini mags and CCI standard velocity. When it was brand new a mate gave me some bulk Federal to try in it, but it didnt have the kick to cycle the slide properly. Have not tried the Federal since, don't know if its an issue still as I don't shoot that ammo.

Pros:

Personally I like the feel of the gun, it's got a decent amount of weight to it. Sure, it doesn't feel as hefty and nice as a custom shop Colt I had the honour to shoot, but it doesn't feel cheap and nasty either.

It's made in Germany by Walther, so of course it's not a real Colt. For the brand conscious that might be an issue, doesn't worry me a bit personally - if you are happy with your gun that's all that matters. All the parts are nicely machined and finished, no rattles at all. The finish is nice and seems durable - time will tell.

Accuracy of the gun is excellent. That being said I shoot better with a Ruger Target 2. In my limited opinion the Colt is more fun to shoot, while the Ruger is a better shot.

Also the 22 round is so cheap - I can shoot it without guilt of how much per round its costing me, or scrabbling around afterwards looking for empty shell casings.

Anyhow - this is all my personal opinion. Just thought you'd like to know the view of another owner.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the gold gold cup. I found that the instructions for adjusting the rear sight in the factory manual was the reverse of what it actually is.

I've fired maybe 600 rounds through mine. It will fire, cycle and eject with any brand I've tried (federal standard, t-22, cci subsonics, winchester rabbit). However, it sometimes fails to feed with the t-22 and federal standard . It never does this with the cci subsonics. I curently only have the one mag, so can't run a test to see if it's a mag or ammo problem, but I suspect it's the ammo, as the pistol is a dream with the subsonics.

I bought it brand new, btw.

Thanks for your input guys. My choice is yes I will get one with two spare mags. Another pro is my missus is looking into shooting handguns. She loves 1911s and will only shoot 22s so its a win win.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I bought the "rail gun" version essentially for cheap practice (I also own 4 1911 centefires) and couldn't be happier with it. It's a fair bit lighter than the real deal but that's not an issue. I love being able to fire a couple of hundred practice shots for less than 20 bucks. It works well with every type of ammo that I've put through it. So far I've probably put a couple of thousand rounds through it with no problems. Hope this helps.

I have a Colt Gold Cup and I was lucky enuf to win a GSG at the Bushranger Shoot earlier this year. Both shoot very well . I'm trying to decide which one to sell or maybe put a small delta point style red dot on one. They are good fun to play around with.

Regards
            john

Comment

Hey Flatliner no other entries? just say'in

Comment

• flatlina
                flatlina commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Robar" post=28325
                Hey Flatliner no other entries? just say'in
                I don't know what you are just saying but there was a lot of entries in the raffle.

Why did'nt I think of that a raffle! knew it was'nt a comp.

Comment

• flatlina
                flatlina commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Robar" post=28570
                Why did'nt I think of that a raffle! knew it was'nt a comp.
                Not sure what you are on about, are you implying that I've never won a comp? Seems like you may know who I am but I can't place you.

Regards
                john

I have had my Rail model for about 18 months and have fed it almost exclusively with CCI Standard Velocity. I find it to be reliable but accuracy is not in the same league as my Ruger MkIII Target. It really is a plinker rather than a newbie target pistol. The value of using it to practice in lieu of a centre fire 1911 is exaggerated.

As has been mentioned, it is Walther manufactured (Umarex is responsible for marketing and support only). IMO, build quality is good or even very good but certainly not comparable with a Ruger ( which is built to survive being dropped in a volcano).

Spare mags are expensive (about $100) and not easy to find. I like it, I don't love it.

It looks cool though.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                My 2 cents worth. Have a Colt Rail Gun and have had nothing but dramas. $380 new with 1 mag - extra mag $95. Kydex 1911 holster doesn't fit the rail portion of the rail gun. Issues with feeding and extraction (tried various brands of HV ammo Federal, Winchester, CCI) standard velocity no good for the new gun - fair enough, but the HV fails to extract at times, fails to chamber next round, and the slide sometimes fails to lock back on an empty mag. Slide also occasionally slides forward when seating fresh mag. Have put around 350 rounds through from new, still having issues - look for the shooter on the line with his hand up! The positives, excellent grips, three dot sights, sits comfortably in the hand. Will persevere until it has had over 500 rds through it - but may have bought the dud of the batch.

Flatline, Old age, too many choccy bars,too much rum gets you like that. How come your playin with a little gun like a .22 not your style

Comment

Working...
              X