Glock Girl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock Girl

We found ourselves at the Desert Hills Shooting Club just outside of Vegas on our recent US trip
    My son and I regularly shoot sporting clays so the agenda for the day was to have a go at their sporting range.

This is one of the few places that caters for machine guns and has the space to fire a .50 calibre Browning.
    My daughter isn't much into shooting but has had a bit of a go with the shotgun a few times.
    We gave her some easy ones and she was doing OK.

When we had finished shooting clays she asked if we could try the pistols.
    I was kinda surprised that she wanted to fire one.
    I'm not a handgunner and will readily admit to being a complete noob in this niche of firearms.

After a quick chat with one of the range staff, he suggested that a 9mm wouldn't be too hard for a beginner to try.
    We picked a Glock 19 out of the cabinet and headed off for some instruction.

Not too bad for a first go.
    One in the x ring, a couple of 9s and 8 & 7

Certainly a bit easier trying out a handgun over there.
    Now it's got me wondering if she wants to pursue it any further now that we're home.

good stuff

my wife and I are heading back over again next year for our 10th wedding anniversary. Will definitely put this range on our to do list.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Guff" post=19923
      good stuff

my wife and I are heading back over again next year for our 10th wedding anniversary. Will definitely put this range on our to do list.
      It's probably a bit cheaper than gun shops in Vegas.
      We hired a car for the day and drove out - it's about half an hour out of town, near Boulder City.
      The clubhouse is pleasant enough if you need to leave the missus in comfort.
      Then take yourself off to the Southwest Diner in Boulder City for a meal- cheap quirky and home cooked - delicious.
      The guys from the club recommended it.
      The Hoover dam is ten minutes up the road.
      We had a great day out.

Originally posted by Nigel-l" post=19843
    Certainly a bit easier trying out a handgun over there.
    Now it's got me wondering if she wants to pursue it any further now that we're home.
    Personally I would encourage her to try it here if she enjoyed it.

Regards Murph

Comment

Cannot comment on all Pistol Clubs, but at the Gold Coast Pistol Club there are heaps of female shooters - those with licenses as well as those going through the process of learning the skills of various types of shooting - ISSF, Service, IPSC, etc. And the age varies too. She won't feel like the only female on a school yard full of boys. Pistol Shooting truly caters to a very wide range of people.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Mister" post=20093
        Cannot comment on all Pistol Clubs, but at the Gold Coast Pistol Club there are heaps of female shooters - those with licenses as well as those going through the process of learning the skills of various types of shooting - ISSF, Service, IPSC, etc. And the age varies too. She won't feel like the only female on a school yard full of boys. Pistol Shooting truly caters to a very wide range of people.
        +1 GCPC

Looks like a fun sport . Glock girl is kinda cute too . Funds are keeping me away from handguns atm . I hope they don't ban the semi autos beforehand or at all .

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Cruiser Country " post=20121
        Looks like a fun sport . Glock girl is kinda cute too . Funds are keeping me away from handguns atm . I hope they don't ban the semi autos beforehand or at all .
        At GCPC, once you join you can shoot using the club guns for just the cost of ammo. As it's a 6 month wait time before you can get you're own pistol, you can do a lot of shooting for bugger all. Eg, box of 22s is $6. Walk in with three gold coins and have a shoot. Can't get cheaper than that.

Wow nice range. Pity we have so few like that.

Yeah you'll probably find that pistol shooting is fairly inclusive, unlike some of the more old codger-dominated rifle disciplines. But that said depends where you go.

Good she had a fun time, just bear in mind the extra patience necessary for Cat H.

Comment

That's really a great story. Hope your daughter takes up the sport here!
        "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
        Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Encourage the hell out of her.
          I took my kids to a pistol range one and I now have a safe full of the things.
          Its great fun.
          I have more guns than I need but not as many as I want

Comment

Working...
          X