Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock tungsten v's stainless guide rod

Hey guys,

I've always used the stock guide rod but I'm thinking of tricking out the new 17 internally, has anyone tried these?
    Any noticeable difference? Which was better?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

I haven't tried it, but tungsten is heavier than stainless.

Not that a guide rod weighs much, but it would add about 75% of the rod weight to a stainless one.

In fact, the specific gravity of tungsten is around 2.5 times that of stainless steel !

Comment

It is but I think Tungsten will also be more brittle than stainless, is it worth it with the higher possibility of failure or just go the SS? Decisions
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• PWD
        PWD commented
        Editing a comment
        Morgo - The Youtube videos/add for Tungsten rods show they are 4 times the weight of the stock plastic rod, but still only about 45 grams. Gun weighs 630 grams empty and close to 900 loaded, so you're adding an extra 30 grams, or just 3 to 5%, which you'd think is unlikely to make much difference. Still, if you'd like to try it you could temporarily clamp 30-40 grams to the rail on the frame and try it on the range.

Regards
        Paul D

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Morgo" post=16870
        It is but I think Tungsten will also be more brittle than stainless, is it worth it with the higher possibility of failure or just go the SS? Decisions
        The guide rod is a "no load" part.

How would "brittle" matter?

Cheers guys,

I've already ordered a stainless one as the tungsten were out but think I'll pick both up and see how they go.
      I've never really liked the original one.

Comment

I run a captured tungsten guide rod from the Glockstore in my gen 4 g34. It noticeably reduces the impression of recoil, and conveniently is a drop in replacement.

Comment

Working...
        X