Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone for .357SIG?

Who's a fan of .357SIG?

I'm a fairly recent convert to the calibre, and have so far only shot it twice, but it's loud, snappy, accurate and very enjoyable.

For my most recent acquisition I wanted something different to the usual 9mm fare.

If you've not tried .357SIG, I'd encourage you to give it a go. The down-side, of course, is that it's not a cheap calibre.

I like it, probably not my fav but still a very enjoyable round to shoot.

Certainly more snappy than the 9mm

My first Sig handgun was a .357 Sig

Sig P229 Sport

Takes a bit of the snappiness out of the .357 Sig, when compared to shooting a 9mm glock due to the solid build/weight of the P229 Sport.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• Xenedis
      Xenedis commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Morgo" post=13968
      I like it, probably not my fav but still a very enjoyable round to shoot.
      It is indeed enjoyable.

It doesn't pack as much punch as a .357 Magnum, but it's still got a lot of power.

What calibre do you prefer?

Certainly more snappy than the 9mm
      Perhaps the next time I shoot, I'll shoot some 9mm first and then shoot .357SIG just to feel the comparison in the same session.

My first Sig handgun was a .357 Sig
      Nice. I would have loved a SIG P226 in .357SIG, but unfortunately it's discontinued.

Takes a bit of the snappiness out of the .357 Sig, when compared to shooting a 9mm glock due to the solid build/weight of the P229 Sport.
      My .357SIG is a Glock. Surprisingly there's not much muzzle flip. I had expected it to be quite flippy due to the weight of the Glock.

Good topic.

I stick to 38special/357 mag, and 9 mm because they are readily available and cheaper than the exotic calibres.

Cost is the biggest factor with my shooting and paying 30%+ more (retail comparison) does not justify any extra bang for my buck.
    "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

• Xenedis
      Xenedis commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 1960Python" post=13971
      I stick to 38special/357 mag, and 9 mm because they are readily available and cheaper than the exotic calibres.
      Indeed -- cost is a major factor. Mind you, .357 Magnum can be as expensive as .357SIG.

Cost is the biggest factor with my shooting and paying 30%+ more (retail comparison) does not justify any extra bang for my buck.
      Completely fair enough. It is an expensive round, and if you're shooting a lot of rounds, it's a hard hit to the hip pocket.

In my case, I don't get a lot of range time, and I don't go through huge amounts of ammo, so despite the higher cost, it's still quite manageable.

I just felt like something different to 9mm, and .38 Super never really interested me.

I'm keeping all of my .357SIG brass so far. I don't reload any calibre, and I don't keep 9mm or .357 Magnum brass, but given .357SIG is less common, I figured I'd build up a supply of once-fired brass and then offload it to anyone who shoots the calibre.

• Morgo
      Morgo commented
      Editing a comment
      Good topic.

When reloading though there is really not much difference between them, .357 mag usually works out more costly for me as I go through much more powder per round

sig is my next calibre to reload.

I was hoping on getting a 226 in Sig, but......just read they dont make them in 357 sig anymore? gonna have to look into that one for sure!!! Any one know of any 226s are in sig anymore?

Sig should be less than magnum to reload, really should be very similar to super, similar powder amaount and same proji, cases may be a touch more, but if you know some one in the cops, or at a range wgere cops train, there is an absundance of 40s&w cases that can be squished to sig easy enough, so free brass!!

MM
    "shoot straight shoot quick"
    Coonan 357 Magnum semi Auto- like shooting a laser!!!!!

Comment

• glock40sw
      glock40sw commented
      Editing a comment
      357Sig is easy to reload and just as cheap as 9mm.
      Use 40 S&W cases necked to 357sig. easy and dirt cheap.

I run Major power factor in Glock35 357Sig with 40 cases. no problems.

• Spurious
      Spurious commented
      Editing a comment
      While I like the 357SIG a lot, if I were to build/modify another gun for IPSC, I reckon the 38-45 might be an interesting way to go.

A bit expensive to start up, but something a bit different.

38-45 forming die
      Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	30046

I shot a Sphinx in .357Sig a few weeks ago and I liked it so much I'm now looking at a CZ TS in Sig (I already have a Checkmate in 9mm). I expected it to be snappier but it was surprisingly easy to control. Two mags at 15 metres and I managed to keep them all in the black, with irons too (I'm used to shooting with a dot).

A mate of mine has a friend with the NSW Soggies (or whatever they are called these days) who is going to get me all the .40S&W brass I'll need for a couple of lifetimes.

Just need to get some dies and a conversion kit for the 650, oh, and the gun would probably help.
    Good thing I sandbagged the [email protected]#k out of that match or I'd be B Grade in Classic now too................

Comment

• .357sig
      .357sig commented
      Editing a comment
      The main reason to shoot .357sig (other than just because it is an "exotic" round) is to qualify for standard major in ipsc.
      I used to have an edge in .357sig...great gun!
      That said, I found shooting quickly with a power factor >170 challenging.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Matt" post=14077
      I shot a Sphinx in .357Sig a few weeks ago and I liked it so much I'm now looking at a CZ TS in Sig (I already have a Checkmate in 9mm). I expected it to be snappier but it was surprisingly easy to control. Two mags at 15 metres and I managed to keep them all in the black, with irons too (I'm used to shooting with a dot).

A mate of mine has a friend with the NSW Soggies (or whatever they are called these days) who is going to get me all the .40S&W brass I'll need for a couple of lifetimes.

Just need to get some dies and a conversion kit for the 650, oh, and the gun would probably help.
      You didn't get to shoot my SVI that night did you? I found Ian's sphinx far more snappy than mine. Anyway you could just give the 40sw brass to me. I wouldn't mind.

Hey there I have a Glock 35 in 357SIG great gun damn loud and leaves marks on my hand, I have the ported barrel so I have a flame thrower aswell.. I have the TSG-22 conversion on it in that photo
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20131019_125323.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	32788

Comment

• Xenedis
      Xenedis commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Dan R" post=17279
      Hey there I have a Glock 35 in 357SIG great gun damn loud and leaves marks on my hand
      Interesting; mine doesn't have a ported barrel, it doesn't leave impressions on my hand, and it's not that loud (to me).

My hand does feel it, though.

IMO and IME, .357 Magnum is louder and more punishing.

Have you fired .357SIG through an unported barrel?

Originally posted by Xenedis" post=13940
    Who's a fan of .357SIG?

I'm a fairly recent convert to the calibre, and have so far only shot it twice, but it's loud, snappy, accurate and very enjoyable.

For my most recent acquisition I wanted something different to the usual 9mm fare.

If you've not tried .357SIG, I'd encourage you to give it a go. The down-side, of course, is that it's not a cheap calibre.
    Actually, the brass is free (resized 40cal), the projectiles are the same (or can be) as any 9mm load & the primers are same/same.

Yes it can be more expensive for a set of dies, but that's a one off cost.

Comment

• Xenedis
      Xenedis commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by NOSAJ19" post=46382
      Actually, the brass is free (resized 40cal), the projectiles are the same (or can be) as any 9mm load & the primers are same/same.
      I'm confused. How is the brass free? I don't think I've ever seen a .40 case at the range.
Working...
X