Tips on sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on sighting

Hi all looking for some tips on how to properly sight a handgun .(Glock 17) I am new to the world of handguns

I went to the range today to look at a handgun to buy to make sure all was good had ago at shooting it at steel plates at around 15mtrs 10 shots 1 hit

No 1 son has 10 shots 8 hits :S

The first time I shot was about 8 weeks ago tried 3 different handguns 1 Glock 2. CZ Shadow 3. Beretta 92 out of 30 rnds hit 24.

The next time on the plates was 3 weeks ago 20 rnds 3 hits

I dont know what I have done since the first time I had a shot but any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated
    Calling me sir is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. It don't belong

I used to hold a glock down about chest height with the armhalf stretched out , it gave me a good overview of the direction it was pointing and got good results on man size targets, surprisingly accurate.

Comment

Steel is pretty humbling, I would start off on paper at say 5 or 7 yards.

A new pistol should be accurate out of the box though the elevation can be out depending on loads and your sight picture.

There is a bit more to it than some people think e.g. grip,stance etc. and opions do vary as to what is best so take it all in and experiment to find what works for you.

Youtube has some good (and bad videos), have a look for some videos or articles by known champions or instructors in your chosen discipline.

Have a look at this article by Massad Ayoob for a good run down:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

Comment

A reasonable shooter with limited experience shooting a Glock, would have trouble knocking 6/6 plates @ 15m.

Glock's are difficult to master, especially a newer shooter, who is learning the basics.

I'd suggest you probably shot better with CZ in SA? It's all trigger control.

Shoot the Glock on paper @ 5m & when you are getting regular @ 3" groups, move the target back to @ 8m & do the same. Continue till you are getting @ 3" groups & move back to @ 10m. It's a process. Continue to sight the gun as you shoot. The closed you shoot, the lower your POI will be compared to POA. POA/POI should come together @ 25m. That's a practical distance to sight your handgun into. As you shoot further out from 25m, the shots will start to print highter until @ 50m where it will come back down to POA/POI.

Comment

To get used to the gun, dry firing is inavaluable. Lots of info on youtube.

There is a lot of info on the web re dry firing Glocks, but the manufacturer does not recommend excessive dry firing without Snap Caps.
          Grab some snap caps and dry fire.

You will become more comfortatble with the gun as currently you maybe anticpating the "shot".
          "Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
          Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

Have you got someone who can coach you? Pistol shooting all comes down to technique and training; most of the time anyway, with natural prodigies definitely being the minority.. The more trigger time you get, with the right technique, the better you are going to get. Prior to 1997, I was Mr. Average with a pistol, always figured it was the pistols rather than me! ha ha The real eye opener for me was seeing a mate shoot a dinner plate sized group with a Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver at a little over 200 metres, off hand. These days I consider myself above average.
            The thing that made me better was a small amount of coaching and practice practice practice. I notice in the months where I'm not shooting as much, my accuracy goes down. Guys in the top level of IPSC, shoot several thousand rounds a week.
            You also need to learn what works for and what doesn't. For example I shoot much better "both eyes open", so that's what I do. Got a mate you has this ultra wide Israeli style foot stance. I think he looks like a wanker, but he doesn't care as it works great for him.

Originally posted by goffy65" post=13482
            Hi all looking for some tips on how to properly sight a handgun .(Glock 17) I am new to the world of handguns

I went to the range today to look at a handgun to buy to make sure all was good had ago at shooting it at steel plates at around 15mtrs 10 shots 1 hit

No 1 son has 10 shots 8 hits :S

The first time I shot was about 8 weeks ago tried 3 different handguns 1 Glock 2. CZ Shadow 3. Beretta 92 out of 30 rnds hit 24.

The next time on the plates was 3 weeks ago 20 rnds 3 hits

I dont know what I have done since the first time I had a shot but any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated

Comment

Best bet is to shoot some paper and see where your shots are landing.

Check out this pic to help with the trigger.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/CorrectionChart.jpg

Glocks as mentioned tend to take some time to get used to the trigger. I think most new shooters pull down and to the left when they first start.
              “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Or anticipated recoil, I use to shoot top left adding to the recoil and it's hard to break yourself of the habit.

I agree with the dry firing training and your eyesight can also play a bit part.

• Harry
                Harry commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Morgo" post=13629
                I think most new shooters pull down and to the left when they first start.
                Pulling down and to the left most likely indicates two possible flaws in technique.

Assuming the shooter is right handed patterning on the left side of the target is an example of too much finger on the trigger. A glock trigger can be tricky to learn compared to the single action function of most other semi autos. The OP should try to use just the fleshy tip of his finger when engaging the trigger, squeezing the trigger slowly - the slower the better speed will come with practice.

The low patterning shots indicate anticipation of the shot breaking or "flinching", the tensing of the hand and arm before the trigger breaks and the shot releases. This would explain partly why the OP's initial results were good but subsequent efforts shooting different pistols produced poor results. Rather than looking for a solution with different firearms i would suggest the OP get some coaching, some more time on the line and further firing practice with both live ammunition and dry firing snap caps.

Cheers
                Harry

• Maverick
                Maverick commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Morgo" post=13629
                Best bet is to shoot some paper and see where your shots are landing.

Check out this pic to help with the trigger.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/CorrectionChart.jpg

Glocks as mentioned tend to take some time to get used to the trigger. I think most new shooters pull down and to the left when they first start.

************************************************** ************************************************** **************

Exactly the problem I had when I first bought my G34 G3.

The Glocks have a different feel to them, once you become accustomed to it it's all good.
                I also have a G17 G4 for more fun.

I still like to shoot my STI Trojan and CZ SP101 just as much.
                The more the merrier in my opinion.

Thanks...

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

low and left ... yep that's me :lol: Trigger technique is what I'm trying to work on now. Some great info guys.

Comment

Working...
              X