Near the end of a long Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Near the end of a long Road

ON November 20 last year i was watching people shooting hand guns at the range thought that looks like fun, so i put my name down to do the trainning coures, finished that on the 20th of January
    .Done the photo thing at the RTA on the first of March .
    6 shoots later Graduation shoot, now im counting down the days to get them pesky PTA back have not decided what to get yet but figured i would get .22 first so i can wear it out. Till i learn how to shoot them , any sugestions whats a good starter.
    cheers in advance

Well it's hard mate. If you know what your going to shoot ( IPSC, NRA, steel) it's eaiser. So I would try and work that out first. See where your interest lies. Then figure out a gun. IPSC is very dynamic and a lot of fun, for example. Once you work that out, and if you have to buy a .22, try and get one the same as what you will eventually end up with. For example, if you think you'll end up with a 1911/2011, get one in .22 first. That way the transition will be smooth. Good luck, and remember , have fun

Comment

Shot ipsc then decide what you want.

Pro tip - it won't be a 22.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Working out what you want to shoot can take a while and purchasing a general purpose 22 and shooting the sh*t out of it is a good idea to consolidate some good basic skills.

However....
        ....Ruger is out of stock and Browning is out of stock and neither can advise when they will have stock again.
        So you are left with a small number of 25 year old pistols in variable condition.

It's disappointing when you have gone thru the slow drawn out licensing/training process and are ready to actually learn something with your own pistol but there are very few to be found.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by dansedgli" post=12736
        Shot ipsc then decide what you want.

Pro tip - it won't be a 22.

This is true lol

The route I went through necessity - my original club only shot IPSC and had no training period with 22s (and no ability to practice point blank). Gotta say that I've spent the last couple of years trying to undo all the bad habits I amassed by not learning or being taught how to shoot properly with a smaller calibre

As tempting as it is...I'd think about it.

Good job man.

I'd recommend a centrefire over a rimfire you can do more with the centrefire and you'll end up with one soon enough anyway.

They're pretty cheap to keep ammo up to them once you get set up to load.

Comment

• Greenwich-biker
        Greenwich-biker commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to the handgun fraternity

I believe the conventional wisdom to have a 22 first is right - everybody needs a 22 in their safe and you will inevitably get a centrefire as well.
        Be warned though - you start off with one and end up like Morgo :lol:

I was in the same boat last year. Ended up getting a 9mm first up as I knew I wanted to shoot IPSC and I could always use the club .22's when needed. Also at my club you can only use factory rounds (or club reloads) in the club guns so having a centrefire and reloading for it was going to be much cheaper (relatively speaking of course!).
      Good thing I sandbagged the [email protected]#k out of that match or I'd be B Grade in Classic now too................

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you own a 9mm as your first gun ?

Nice work mate

I'd look for a nice condition used Ruger MKII 22/45 IMO the best starter handgun around.

I'd go with a .22 first unless you plan on reloading straight up. When you get your first handgun your going to want to shoot it, alot, a .22 will let you do that with out breaking the bank.
      When I first started I was going through a brick of .22's (500rds) Saturday afternoon and another brick (500rds) Sunday afternoon for weeks if not months
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• Maverick
        Maverick commented
        Editing a comment

Morgo, do you still have the .22 you mentioned ???

Is it still fuctioning without any problems ???

Thanks....

Originally posted by Morgo" post=13043
        Nice work mate

I'd look for a nice condition used Ruger MKII 22/45 IMO the best starter handgun around.

I'd go with a .22 first unless you plan on reloading straight up. When you get your first handgun your going to want to shoot it, alot, a .22 will let you do that with out breaking the bank.
        When I first started I was going through a brick of .22's (500rds) Saturday afternoon and another brick (500rds) Sunday afternoon for weeks if not months

• fawdon
        fawdon commented
        Editing a comment
        yes Morgo 22 is the go but i already reload for .rifle so 9mm is just a set of dies away lol using a club gun at the moment iam on my second bucket of bullets from remington

Its a ridiculous rule, like most of the firearms rules...
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

• fawdon
        fawdon commented
        Editing a comment
        your not wrong on that looking at getting Colt 1911 .22LR Rail Gun =New= from lgs and i have been looking or a .22 /22wmr revolver just for shits a ngiggles then when i have worn them out i can upgrade

just to rock the boat. A 22 restricts what you can in some disaplines and isn't as much fun. if you know you want to do ipsc go for the 9mm. remember you going to have it for a while till you can get something else. I started using the clubs glock and brought a 38super tanfog for my 1st cos I wanted to shoot ipsc, still love it today and wont be getting replaced till its dead and buried.

Comment

Congratulations for persevering with the Cat H licensing requirements.

I was in your shoes 5 years ago and decided to stick it to the NSW FAR by immediately purchasing two centre fire pistols (SP-01 Shadow) and a Para Ordnance P-18.

I wanted them for IPSC and also wanted the FAR to see the stupidity of their policy of "only two pistols but not a centre fire and a rim fire" for probationary shooters.

For me, this was fine but I had already had a long history of pistol shooting since I was 12 years old.

I now have *cough* a few handguns and possibly the best is my Ruger MkIII Target. After the nuclear apocalypse aliens visiting Earth will find only cockroaches and Ruger MkIIIs. It is an excellent all round pistol for reinforcing the fundamentals of many target shooting disciplines.

I also have a Colt 1911 22 Rail Gun and it is a fun plinker but accuracy and build quality are a big step down from the Ruger. Both would be very choices but if you can have only one, try for a second hand Ruger.

Welcome to the sport and remember that your worst day at the range will always be better than your best day at work.

Comment

BTW, my Colt 22 Rail eats CCI Standard Velocity all day long.

Comment

What about getting something decent in the 9mm and getting a .22 conversion kit for it? Would it require PTA's and all that jazz?

Comment

• fawdon
              fawdon commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I did think about that but the mrs would ask why get another later on so the 22 way i can get another after the six months is up lol

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Tinker" post=16904
              What about getting something decent in the 9mm and getting a .22 conversion kit for it? Would it require PTA's and all that jazz?
              Morgo can correct me if I'm wrong but it's been discussed before and I think the outcome was for NSW a PTA is not required for a conversion kit. Or, should I say, there's nothing to say that a PTA is required. That's according to the actual legislation, not FAR, who tend to err on the side of get f*cked caution.

+1 for getting a .22 over a centrefire. Better off getting the shot technique down first rather than trying to learn it all in IPSC with all the other variables influencing the result. And +1 for old Rugers, especially the 22/45. I don't think buying a 1911 .22 will necessarily help you if you end up shooting IPSC with a 1911. If you can find a Ruger, I say get on it. I'll get off my Ruger fanboi soapbox now since enough has already been said by others in this thread.

WELL ON THE 25 10 I GOT MY PTA BACK YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Picked up my first semi Auto pistol on saturday morning sent 200 rounds down range now all i have to do is learn to hit a target it may take some time lol
            50 meter with a pistol na 25 is hard too eh
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20131027_1932351.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	36131

Comment

Working...
            X