Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield XDm 5.25 9mm

Springfield XDm 5.25 9mm

I've had a few hundred factory rounds through this now, and just added a solid SS guide rod to it today. I also swapped out the original red front sight for the green which is much better. Here's some pics, cause we all love photo's

Very nice

Always wanted one of these XDms, back in the day when it first came out and before they produced a 5" model. Not being IPSC-compliant would be the dealbreaker for me though.

How do you find it to shoot, Guff?

Goes well with your Varmint too, I gotta say.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      They have always been IPSC compliant just not in Aus. And the 5.25 is not IPSC Production Div compliant due to barrel length but is the only version compliant to Aus barrel length restrictions!!! :S

love it, the new guide rod is 155% heavier than the factory one, so it should reduce muzzle rise a bit.

Hoping to get down the range late this arvo to give it a run.

Comment

so I've got my Dillon 650 setup and ready to go, but there seems to be a shortage of AP70N which what I was planning on using.

I can get Winchester WST, AS30N, AP50 and AP100 locally but only small amounts.

Not sure what to go with to start? Any suggestions?

I'm going to try some 124gr and 147gr round nose projectiles first, probably HRBC and Sierra

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        You won't find AP70 anymore, ADI claim they are not producing it but in reality are selling all they make to the yanks atm lol

By the comparative charts both Universal and Unique are meant to be equivalents - no idea how vague those equivalents are in practice as I haven't found anywhere that sells them.

Probably best just going with AP50 or 100 and just chrono'ing anf tweaking your loads to suit. That's what many of us who used to rely on AP70 will have to do.

• PWD
        PWD commented
        Editing a comment
        AP100 is usually only used in major power factor open class guns where you need a large volume of gas to help make the compensator work. When loaded to minor power you get a lot of unburned powder residue.
        AP50 is my pick for being close to AP70 and I use it in IPSC minor 9mm and 38S loads, in preference to AP70.
        Alliant Unique is also close to AP70, and I've used a lot of that over the last 3 years.
        Unique is a little "snappier" than AP50 or 70, but unfortunately it is also hard to get in Sydney lately.

Regards
        Paul D

OK great
      at least I've got load data for those
      yeah I might just grab one of each and maybe some of the new Winchester WST.

Comment

Thanks Paul. Still have 2kg of AP70 left but good to know that AP50 might better fit the bill, if the supply keeps up in future.

Comment

just grabbed 1kg of AP50 this morning. Also picked up some HRBC 124gr Copper Round Nose projectiles and some Nosler 124gr JHP

Comment

I'm just trying to work out a load but there seems to be a broad range of Min & Max loads for AP50N.

I'm using AP50N with Nosler JHP 125gr CCI Primers and a seating depth of 1.104" which I've made some dummy rounds up and they cycle fine, I've also dropped them into the chamber with the XDm field stripped.

Nick Harvey's manual only has Win231 load data and ADI says it's comparable to AP50N. Anyway ADI's 9mm chart says a Min load of 2.5gr and Max of 3.2gr. Yet

Nick H's Manual using Win231 start at 4.2 and Max at 4.5gr.

Nosler's data for Win231 is 3.6>4.6gr

I'm thinking 3.2gr as a starting point? Anyone have any load data I could compare with?

Comment

• PWD
              PWD commented
              Editing a comment
              Guff - recently tested these in my M&P 9mm.
              125 grain Sure Shot (plastic coated lead) RN, 3.7 of AP50, OAL of 29.2 mm(1.15") = average 1080 fps and power factor of 135
              135 grain Top Score (plastic coated lead) RN, 3.4 of AP50, OAL of 29.2 mm(1.15") = average 1040 fps and power factor of 140
              No problems with either, but I prefer the heavier bullets. Noticeably lower recoil in a light gun, like M&P or Glock.
              These might show it's capable of working OK for you, but each gun and barrel is different, so start out lower and test lots.
              You'll notice my OAL is about 0.050" (1.2 mm) longer than yours and what's in the ADI books, and that lowers pressure some. If you are using 1.10", then start with less powder.

Regards
              Paul D

Cool so 3.2 - 3.4gr would be a safe starting spot.

Yeah the guys on the XD forum all seem to like the 147gr.

there wasn't much available on the Gold Coast yesterday as far as projectiles go. I might have to mail order some as this is the start of the load development.

much appreciated mate

Comment

• PWD
              PWD commented
              Editing a comment
              I should have included the 147, tried some of them too, although I'm used to the 135's so I'm sticking with them in competition for the time being.
              147 grain Top Score (plastic coated lead) Flat points, 3.2 of AP50, OAL of 29.2 mm (1.15") = average 910 fps and power factor of 134.

Regards
              Paul D

just tried a longer OAL and 1.115" seems to be the max length with these Nosler's as it wouldn't chamber at 1.119".

So I've dialed the seating die back down to 1.105"

I've got some 125gr HRBC Copper Hawkes Round Nose here I'll try after I've tried the Nosler's

I'm thinking I should buy a seperate set of 9mm Dillon dies for my single stage press just for load development, then once I've got it, bang em out on the XL650

Comment

• PWD
              PWD commented
              Editing a comment
              The SAAMI spec for 9mm Luger OAL is 1.169" (29.69 mm) max. I'm sure your XD was built to chamber normal 9 mm factory rounds, so I'm guessing the hollow points (JHP) must be the problem.
              Try some RN out to max length and see how that goes, or use the JHP's but shorter OAL and less powder, but you'll need experiment a little to find out how much.
              Most of the IPSC shooters I see are using RN or Conicals in 125/135, and flat points in the 140+ sizes.

Regards
              Paul D

just made up some dummies with the 124gr HRBC round nose.

1.119" was a bit long and failed to eject easily. 1.115" OAL seems fine.

The XDm 5.25 does have a match barrell, wondering if that's the reason it's a little fussy?

I've put at least 350 rounds of American Eagle factory ammo through it along with some Magtech with no issues. I'll have to measure some American Eagles

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I have an XDm 5.25 in stainless too, and absolutely love it. But mine is also very fussy with reloaded ammo.

I havnt had any problems with any factory rounds as yet, but found that it likes the projectile to be seated slightly deeper, with a slightly tighter crimp than my other 9mm's, otherwise the slide doesnt quite close the whole way.

Never the less, I love it.

here's some pics

Comment

Originally posted by Guff" post=11945
              Springfield XDm 5.25 9mm

I've had a few hundred factory rounds through this now, and just added a solid SS guide rod to it today. I also swapped out the original red front sight for the green which is much better. Here's some pics, cause we all love photo's

Very nice looking handgun, Gratz and good job on the work done to it.
              Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

Comment

so last night I cranked out the first 100 rounds on my XL650. This morning the wifey and I went down the club to give it a run.

3.0gr of AP50 was a little light. Had around 8 fail to ejects. I also had some factory American Eagle rounds there and the recoil difference was pretty noticeable.

Now that the XL650 is setup, I think I'll do some 3.2gr and 3.5gr tonight, and head back down the club tomorrow for another run.

Comment

• PWD
                  PWD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guff

I last chrono'd some American Eagle 9mm, 124 grain, factory rounds about 2 years ago. They gave average 1065 fps or power factor of 132.
                  This is almost the same result I get with 3.7 grains of AP50 and 125 plastic coated lead bullets, so I think you're on the right track.
                  Nice looking reloading setup you have there.

Regards
                  Paul D

• Morgo
                  Morgo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Originally posted by Guff" post=17378
                  so last night I cranked out the first 100 rounds on my XL650. This morning the wifey and I went down the club to give it a run.

3.0gr of AP50 was a little light. Had around 8 fail to ejects. I also had some factory American Eagle rounds there and the recoil difference was pretty noticeable.

Now that the XL650 is setup, I think I'll do some 3.2gr and 3.5gr tonight, and head back down the club tomorrow for another run.

Nice setup mate, I like the colour theme

Thanks Paul .... yeah I've been meaning to buy a Chronograph for my rifle reloads for awhile. I guess now is the perfect time to bite the bullet and do it. I'll have to check with the guys down at SIPC they may even have one in-house I can use in the mean time.

Scooby .... yeah I'm pretty happy with mine to say the least. Seems to be all about the choice of projectile too. I've run Remington, Winchester, Magtech and American Eagle through it, only had one jam on Factory ammo. Once I find the sweet spot with my reloads it should be cool. I've got some round nose sierra's on order in 124gr and 147gr. Should be able to get back to a 1.350 - 1.450" seating depth then.

Comment

Working...
                X